The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
xodruxo

Got a question

I want to change my carb on my truck from this stupid quadrajet 750 to an edelbrock but im kinda dumb in this area, I hear that it depends on what type engine you got well I got a small block 305 in there that came with the truck, also its an 86 k-5 blazer full size 1/2 ton cause I know someone is gonna ask... But like I said this is the first time messing with this carb and its giving me the blues (almost leading me to ...) So i guess what i need to know is what type of carb can I use and what wires do I need and what can I either discard or reroute so all my other components still work... I know you guys are busy doing your own thing and I apologize ahead of time for this (yes Im a rookie.) Also has anyone ever put 283 heads on a 305 for more performance plus I was thinking about going with a TQ-20 crankshaft to help out those horses... Any info will help with this project ladies and gents. Thanx in advance

Last edited by xodruxo; 09-06-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
xodruxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
jd74c-10

Re: Got a question

what problems are you having with the q-jet. they are really good carb's when built and adjusted correct. as far as changing to a different type carb. what smog laws do you have where you live.you need to make sure you don't spend money then not be able to pass the smog check. if you don't have those worries you can adapt just about any carb to your motor, the edelbrock performer is a good trouble free carb. i use them all the time with no problems. on your truck the distributor and carb are both connected to the computer. if you change the carb you should change the distributor to a earlier hei unit and it should work fine. good luck
jd74c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote