The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
57larry

door lock problems

when I open the door of my 72, I can push the door lock down all the way to lock or I can use my key to lock. But when I shut my door, the lock button pops up and I cannot lock the door. if I'm sitting inside the truck with the door shut, I cannot push the lock button all the way down to lock. what gives??
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
AJLChase

Re: door lock problems

I could be wrong, as I was messing with locks (power locks) and I believe it's a feature as to not allow you to lock your keys in your truck. You can get them to lock and close the door, but not with out having your door off kilter by way of the hinges...which I wouldn't recommend.
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Sounds like you have 2 things going on.The doors will only lock with the key.It's a design feature(that's what the engineers would call it) to keep you from locking your keys in as stated above.The other thing is that the doors are probably out of adjustment keeping you from being able to lock them with the key.I can lift on the handle of mine and lock it but haven't adjusted the doors yet.The striker may be out but it is more likely the hinges are worn and they door needs to be adjusted some,or the hinges rebuilt.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
57larry

must be adjustment issues as when I sit in the truck, I can't lock the doors from the inside by just pushing the button down
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
As the others have said you can only lock your door from the outside with the key. Did you put new weatherstripping on your doors? Try locking them from the outside with the key but push in on the door as you turn the key. You may have to adjust your striker plates out just a little. Mark around them with a fine tip marker before you loosen them up so you can tell how far you move them. I would only go about 1/16th of an inch at a time.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
geezer#99

I've been playing with the same problem. Determined that due to the tumbler cross shaft being warn that when the door is closed it moves slightly off kilter and the edge of the lock arm hangs up on the peak of the tumbler. I'm gonna try a dremel tool to grind a knife edge so it will slide into place without hanging up. My locks work great till I close the door. Will take some pics tommorrow when I pull it apart.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
mr48chev

I've had a similar problem with mine and had to lube the lock it's self to get it to work smoothly.
I'd say that something is hanging up somewhere and the guys have given you some good suggestions.

Also use a bit of lock lube in the tumbler so that it is working smoothly. Maybe Lockdoc can fill us in on the right stuff to use there.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've had a similar problem with mine and had to lube the lock it's self to get it to work smoothly.
I'd say that something is hanging up somewhere and the guys have given you some good suggestions.

Also use a bit of lock lube in the tumbler so that it is working smoothly. Maybe Lockdoc can fill us in on the right stuff to use there.

All I use for lock lube is any spray lube with Teflon in it. I do use PB Blaster to wash them out, then blow them out with air to get the dirt and PB Blaster out, and spray some Teflon based lube in them. Some people swear by Graphite based lubes but I can tell you for a fact that when Graphite gets wet it turns into a gummy mess.

LockDoc

-
Old 09-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
LiMiT44

LocDoc,

Can you suggest a brand name of "spray lube with Teflon in it" that we can easily find at a parts store or even discount store? I know my 67's locks need cleaned and lubed. You know farmers never locked and usually left the keys in em. I know drive mine into the city, lol the computer in the bag on the floor is worth more then I paid for my truck. I will use you PB blaster then air idea, just want to know what to buy for lube.

Thanks,
LiMiT44
Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
big mike71

Mine was doing the same thing I took them out, cleaned and oiled them they work great now. They are kind of hard to put back together though, It will test your patience.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Wideopenracing15

Subscribed. Im having some similar problems.
Wideopenracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiMiT44 View Post
LocDoc,

Can you suggest a brand name of "spray lube with Teflon in it" that we can easily find at a parts store or even discount store? I know my 67's locks need cleaned and lubed. You know farmers never locked and usually left the keys in em. I know drive mine into the city, lol the computer in the bag on the floor is worth more then I paid for my truck. I will use you PB blaster then air idea, just want to know what to buy for lube.

Thanks,
LiMiT44

I use Tri-Flow:
http://www.triflowlubricants.com/pro...ntaerosol.html

I'm sure this would work good also and is cheaper:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

Anything that says "Teflon" or "P.T.F.E. based" would be OK.

LockDoc

-
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
geezer#99

I tried to make the lock arm fit in the tumbler but didn't work. Cleaned and greased with lubriplate. No better. Tried some teflon grease I had. still no go. Decided to use the wallet degreaser (credit card). New door latches are on their way. When parts are 44 years old they could need replacing. When in doubt throw money at it. LOL
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote