The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Rob H.

TH400 filter question

I picked up a filter a couple months ago, finally today I got time to work on the truck. Well short story is my filter was completely differant. instead of being flat and fitting on the pickup tube, mine is rectangaler and fits to teh side with the down spout and pick up tube made on to it. When I got the new filter, they had to give me one for a 71 being there wasnt' one listed for 67. So anybody got any ideas how to get the right filter, I'm gonna take the old one with me and try to get a match but wonder if I'll be able too?
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: TH400 filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob H. View Post
I picked up a filter a couple months ago, finally today I got time to work on the truck. Well short story is my filter was completely differant. instead of being flat and fitting on the pickup tube, mine is rectangaler and fits to teh side with the down spout and pick up tube made on to it. When I got the new filter, they had to give me one for a 71 being there wasnt' one listed for 67. So anybody got any ideas how to get the right filter, I'm gonna take the old one with me and try to get a match but wonder if I'll be able too?
Here are pics for the differant types for the 400 We sell most all trans parts for all models no matter how small even bolts and washers. if you have any problems let us know.
Attached Images

Last edited by mbgmike; 09-07-2009 at 04:11 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
jbarron

I ran into the same filter while rebuilding a '66 TH400. You can use the new style filters but you usually need to get a new down pipe to connect to it.

Go here and look up a 66 Chevelle SS
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
jbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You may have a TH375 They had a filter with a tube like you describe. Very early TH 400 did also
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Rob H.

I found out that 64-67 used a differant filter, which is what I need, for the time being I flushed out the old filter to check out the transmission a little farther, seems I have a valve stuck from it sitting so long. It has great reverse, but won't pull itself forwards. After I get it going I'll have to work on getting it stopping then, at least it keeps me out of trouble LOL.
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

There are two basic filter styles for the 400. From about 1967½ and up, the filter looks like this:

This pic has a new filter laying on an old one. If you have this style, you can also swap in Allison filters. They have a screen instead of a fiber mesh and flow a little better.

From the 400's debut in 1964 until around 1967½ the filter looked like this:

Sounds like you have the earlier style. Also, the pan should have a half-circle "heel print" mark in it, which the bottom of the early filter fits into for support.

Any parts store should have the earlier style filter. Just tell them you want one for, say, a 1965 model and that's what should come up.

The later style filter is a better design and you can upgrade to it if you want to bad enough. Biggest problem is that the valve body doesn't have the tapped hole the later style filter hangs on. You either have to drill and tap it or swap a different valve body onto it.

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
mbgmike

We sell that early style but they are special order for us. We sell the Pronto Brand part #1013
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote