The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
blk65fleet

wiring?

I am about to order the 20 circuit wiring harness from brothers, and before I did I wanted to see if any one has used this kit or has any suggestions on other good wiring harnesses
blk65fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: wiring?

If you've researched all the different brands and features available, and this fits within your budget it will probably work fine. I would however highly recommend you compare it feature for feature with each of the different brands available, and don't make your decision based on initial cost alone. A wiring harness is not something you want to be sorry about after you've installed it.

IMHO Ron Francis was the pioneer of aftermarket wiring and is stiill the best. I used one of their kits on my 1960 about 20 years ago and although it seemed outrageously expensive at the time, it was one of the best investments I made. On my previous rod, I had used a complete harness from a Chevy Nova, and needed spools of extra wire from the parts store. Ultimately I replaced the fuse panel with an aftermarket version, and when I figured it all out I had spent more than the cost of a good kit for a patched together mess with unmarked wire that wasn't fire resistant.

Painless is by far the best advertised wiring product on the market, but the main wiring is permanently attached to the back of the fuse panel, limiting flexibility (again in my opinion). No doubt it's a good product, everybody uses them.

The other consideration is how long you want to keep the truck, and what accessories you are likely to install, now or in the future. There are actually stock replacement harnesses that will work fine if that's all you need. I'd suggest you consider the total cost of whichever system you select. If you have to purchase extras later, the cost will end up higher than you anticipated.

Opinions from people that have actually installed the type you want are probably most valuable. I purchased one of the less expensive kits just for the wiring, and was amazed to find how poorly engineered the harness was. It had bundles of wires soldered together and wrapped in tape, and a very cheap fuse panel. I was really glad I didn't need to install it as a package.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
Eagar1

I am a real oddball when it comes to wiring. I like running my own circuits of my own design out of higher quality wire, differently than the factory. These trucks are so simple, it is easy to run the starting circuit, charging, lights, guages, etc. Old school, simple relays, carb, no efi, just HEI and it only needs 12 volts to run.
But thats just me.
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

http://www.wiringharness.com/

Check these guys out
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: wiring?

Check out Painless Wiring!www.painlesswiring.com/

http://www.painlessperformance.com/w...ssis+Harnesses
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote