The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Now What...

-
Well, I'm not sure what to do here. I took the Red & White '71 Chevy 4x4 to a local cruise night last night and this guy came over and looked at it he said "did you get this truck from a guy with the last name of Kelly, from Nebraska?" I said yes. He said "I used to own this truck back in 1994". We talked about the truck for a while and he said, "aren't you the guy that built the Silver '72 GMC 4x4 last year" I said yes, and he says "I have a truck I need to sell and I want you to have it". You could have knocked me over with a feather… I asked him why me, and he said it needs to be re-done and I know you will do it and it will get finished. I went and looked at his truck this evening and this is what I saw. I thought WOW, It doesn't look like it needs to be re-done to me. So here is the skinny on it. It was done about 15 years ago and has pretty much been stored since. It has been started occasionally and has a few minor problems. He thinks the truck should be disassembled and completely re-done. It does have some surface rust spots on the frame and some of the seals are dried out so it leaks from a few places. The 350 motor is running rough and has some lifter noise. He did drive it from where he had it stored to his house but it quit on him a couple of times on the way. There is no rust through but there are a few places that have been repaired. It looks like they did a good job on those. It is two-tone Red and the paint is really nice on it. It has a new wood bed floor but it needs to be re-finished. My main problem is that I really don't have a place to put it inside and I really need to put the '36 Ford Coupe back together this winter. What to do, what to do… Sorry for the long short story.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-09-2009 at 09:39 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Now What...

-
Next Pics
Attached Images

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-09-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I would like to have someone who has several of my old vehicles offer them to me, as long as I got to pick which ones I had to buy back. Some of them.....I don't really miss. But your situation is unique in my own thinking. The truck doesn't look bad at all. Is his offer to sell it to you contingent on you showing him what you did to bring it back? I guess that's like saying, I'll give it to you as long as you spend big bucks to restore it, but if you don't do it the way I like, then it's gonna cost you XXXXX dollars. Kinda hard to know which route to take. If it was me and I had a '36 Coupe that was worth redoing, it would be a no-brainer. Since it is a coupe, though, it has three windows, right? I'm remembering the AMT kit of a '36 Ford Coupe when I was building model cars. Seems it had a couple options like a chrome T-bird engine and the option of building a roadster or a coupe. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
lpaine

That truck looks pretty fine from the pic's, I wouldn't try and improve on that. So how much? I'm guessing $8,000
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Leon, your probably the luckiest son of a gun I have ever known! so did you drop the hammer on it yet????

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
71swb4x4

Needs to be redone? What???? If you pass on that one let me know, I would drive that thing.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
ChevLoRay:
Quote:
Is his offer to sell it to you contingent on you showing him what you did to bring it back? I guess that's like saying, I'll give it to you as long as you spend big bucks to restore it, but if you don't do it the way I like, then it's gonna cost you XXXXX dollars. Kinda hard to know which route to take. If it was me and I had a '36 Coupe that was worth redoing, it would be a no-brainer. Since it is a coupe, though, it has three windows, right? I'm remembering the AMT kit of a '36 Ford Coupe when I was building model cars. Seems it had a couple options like a chrome T-bird engine and the option of building a roadster or a coupe. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....
He put no stipulations on the truck except he or his son would like to have first chance on it if I decided to sell it. The '36 Coupe I have is a five window, they made both. It is in the process of being re-done now.
-------------------------------
lpaine:
Quote:
So how much? I'm guessing $8,000
You are close.
tcb-1:
Quote:
so did you drop the hammer on it yet????
No, I told him I would let him know when I got back from the Truck Nationals in KC next weekend.
71swb4x4:
Quote:
If you pass on that one let me know, I would drive that thing.
If I don't take it I don't know what he is going to do with it.

LockDoc

-
Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
nuke1

wow, that thing looks nice, if i had the money i would love to buy that, i still say buy it, put it under a cover and finish the 36, then get to this one.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
Boog
laying low

Leon you have a good reputation for doing them right as this guy attests to. It sounds like he wishes he'd had you do it the first time. If I had that truck I would want it to go to the right person too. From the shots I cannot see what it could possibly need other than detailing underhood. I'd drive it everyday.
I can also see your delima. A 36 Coupe, man. I've seen pics of it and yeah it needs to be fixed up and on the road. Good luck with your decision.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
71swb4x4

Is the red in the middle a deeper shade of red, or is it just the way the pictures look?
That truck is a great deal if it's in the $8,000 price range. But it and throw it in the garage. Can you ever have too many?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
czarcaustic

Buy it, drive it, work on the '36. When you are done with the '36 toy around with this beauty!
'03 Lexus ES 300 (Wife's)
'72 GMC Short Fleet (Sold - offer I couldn't refuse)
czarcaustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
leddzepp

Fix the mechanical problems, detail the engine bay. Done.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #13
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarcaustic View Post
Buy it, drive it, work on the '36. When you are done with the '36 toy around with this beauty!
x2
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #14
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Well... no problem, you just need to expand the shop!

That truck looks awfully good just as it sits... I'd be flattered, but to me, the '36 would be the priority.
Unless you can find a way to have both, finish the '36, then go through the truck, as posted above.

Decisions, decisions.........

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 09-09-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
70cst

Food for thought...do you have any contacts that you could store that truck? How much to rent a place till next spring? Looks like a great deal and I assume there is no time limit until you could started the resto? Good luck with your decision.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #16
CG
BlahBlahBlah

You already have a nice truck. If you pay 8k for that one and "redo" it how much will you have in it and what do you really think you could sell it for, probably at the most a wash IMO.

Build the 36 Ford. The cool factor is way beyond one of our trucks. And if you want to sell that when finished it will bring some real money.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #17
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

buy it, you will need it to haul the lumber for another garage. if you hurry you can build a garage before winter. then park it in there and work on the 36. next spring start on the red truck. oh, I have an idea. put a plow on it. Lord knows you need one.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #18
cdowns

i'd b glad to give you a hundred bucks for the coupe so you can free up shop spoace
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #19
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Leon, load it up on the trailer and tow it behind the '71 down to the Nat's. We'll help you decide....

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #20
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Post Re: Now What...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Leon, load it up on the trailer and tow it behind the '71 down to the Nat's. We'll help you decide....
Yeah I can see that going over Real well!

But hey I like the way you think there Nate

Now how does a guy able to be thrown into this situation in the first place? In between a rock and a very hard spot on this decision. Let us know which way you went on this deal.... very interesting story and we all would like to know how it develops!

-Scott-
Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #21
big_al_71

I would buy it if I feel like working on it but if you dont need it or want it I would just pass...Good Luck on your descision..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

71swb4x4:
Quote:
Is the red in the middle a deeper shade of red, or is it just the way the pictures look?
Yes it is darker.
-----------------------

70cst:
Quote:
Food for thought...do you have any contacts that you could store that truck? How much to rent a place till next spring? Looks like a great deal and I assume there is no time limit until you could started the resto? Good luck with your decision.
No contacts and storage rental around here just went from $45 to $50 a month. That is one of the reasons he is selling the truck. He has stored the truck for 10 years so he already has about $5000 in storage costs on it. No time limit on updating it.
-------------------------

CG:
Quote:
You already have a nice truck. If you pay 8k for that one and "redo" it how much will you have in it and what do you really think you could sell it for, probably at the most a wash IMO.
Thanks for the reality check CG. That's why I posted up on it. It probably depends on whether I sell the Red/White truck or not.
-------------------------

68C15:
Quote:
buy it, you will need it to haul the lumber for another garage. if you hurry you can build a garage before winter. then park it in there and work on the 36. next spring start on the red truck. oh, I have an idea. put a plow on it. Lord knows you need one.
If I buy it I will probably need to haul lumber for a place to live.... There is a plow that will fit it over at the salvage yard.
------------------------

cdowns:
Quote:
i'd b glad to give you a hundred bucks for the coupe so you can free up shop space
Thanks Cliff, You are too kind to me..
------------------------

72BlckButy:
Quote:
Now there's an idea! I have a hitch I could put on the back of the '71. Only problem is Pat wants to drive the '71 part of the way and she won't drive it pulling the trailer... Oh well, (sigh)

LockDoc

-
Old 09-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #23
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

well then. that simplifies everything. Pat could drive the 71 and you could bring the other. who knows, you might end up riding together on the way back. just bring a couple "For Sale" signs.
and if you sell both I would be willing to come get you in the Blazer.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #24
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

It must be upsetting to the farmers around there to loose soo much corn ground... it seems that Iowa is dealing with an over- population of cool old trucks!

Leon, I think you misunderstand what CRP means- to you it must mean Chevy Rotation Program

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
jeffspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #25
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Just out of curiosity, did the red trucks have a black steering column or does that have something to do with a trim package? Mine is color matched but it's olive green and its a little darker like the glovebox.

highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote