The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
srsummers

Brake line routing

Can someone send me some pictures of how they have their brake lines routed from their master cylinder to the first splice? I'm going to attempt to run new brake lines this weeknd (with the motor/trans out) and I want to make sure I give myself enough clearence. I no longer have the original brake lines and I didn't take any pictures (GRRRR).
srsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Brake line routing

What year is your truck, and are you running stock brakes or a power booster and dual master cylinder?
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
srsummers

My truck is a 65SWB. I'm running a factory power drum booster from a 64 C-20.
srsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
neto

Great question, I also have the engine out and need to figure it out. I got a proportioning valve from an 86 truck with the brake lines back to the master cylinder. I was wondering if I could put it under the radiator? I started today and ran into the same problem.
neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsummers View Post
My truck is a 65SWB. I'm running a factory power drum booster from a 64 C-20.
I have a 1960 and I know the master cylinder is different than the 1965 (hopefully someone will post 1965 pictures), but the first two pics may be similar in how the line routes to the frame. Mine came down from the m/c, turned toward the firewall, went down thru a clamp, then had a single coil before attaching to a block at the crossmember. The pics aren't very good but they're all I have.

On the proportioning valve question, most people use something close to a factory setup next to the booster which I don't like. It looks cluttered and makes it difficult to reach the sparkplugs. The 2nd two pics show how I routed mine. I bolted the proportioning valve to the back of the crossmember, behind the motor mount tower - so you should be able to mount it anywhere convenient. Rather than relying on coils in the line(s), I use multiple bends (6 to 8 per line) instead. This gives the tube plenty of flex so there are no stress problems, and in my opinion look much neater than coils.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
neto

Thank you Markeb01 for the idea on the PV location. Here's what mine looks like. The lines are just for template. The second picture is the bracket I made from scrap metal. The whole thing can be removed if needed. The PV is level with floor.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Good for you. I like these out of the way locations much better than cluttering up the booster area. You may already do this, but I use wire coat hangers to make tubing patterns, then do all my tube bending on the bench. Having a full scale layout really helps not make the bends go the wrong direction.

And of course, when doing the flares always make sure the fitting is on first!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
neto

Yeah no kidding on the fitting first. That's so funny when you find out you make a perfect flare then realize opps. I did that right off the get go. Thank you again.