The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Roadhammer

Engine Chrome

Hey Motor guys where do you get your chrome from. Is there cheap bad stuff. Billet better than chrome? Whats the difference between a long and short water pump.

I found a online place called motorchrome.com

They seem pretty cheap and that scares me...what do you guys think?

Jory
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Engine Chrome

The plating process is dangerous and now highly regulated, which has driven many of the domestic shops out of business.

Most of the cheap online chrome suppliers are either peddling parts that are made and plated in Taiwan or some other 3rd world country. They are what they are. They generally fit reasonably well, they look shiny, and for a daily driver or fix up car they suit their purpose. The plating generally doesn't last long and begins to pit, although it can be extended by continual waxing.

The big difference between good chrome and the cheap stuff is they usually leave out the copper step. It's just nickle on the bare metal covered by chrome. There isn't much (if any) polishing under the nickle.

Good chrome, or old standard chrome which is now identified as "show chrome" starts out with a copper coat (or multiple copper coats) followed by polishing in between dips in the tank. The quality of the copper is what makes show chrome look so nice. The nickle goes on top followed by the chrome.

The other inexpensive alternative is chrome work that is done locally, but isn't up to show standards - typically identified as driver quality. My radiator baffles and hood latch are driver quality. They show scratches under the finish and surface defects, but they look nice and shiny from 10 feet away.

The short water pump was the original type that came on Chevy V8's when introduced. Later as more power equipment and air conditioning was added, the long pump was adopted and in stock form has bigger bearings and is more durable. I don't have dimensions but the term is very descriptive - if the mounting flange of the pump was set on a bench, the short pump is about 5-6 tall. A long pump is about 2-3 inches longer, meaning is reaches closer to the radiator.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
drogers

I purchased my alternator brackets and pulleys from them and so far so good. They were extremely nice on the phone and shipped the parts out the same day I ordered them.

Short or long water pump? Take a look over in the engine section, a ton of info over there about engines and accessories.
86' 700R4
My Front Disc Conversion
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
1restorick

I like the some of the Chevrolet branded stuff. I think it is now made by Proform. I have had the valve covers since 1988 and they still look like new.
Good quality chrome is hard to come by without visiting a plater.

Rick
1restorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

If your truck is going to be a DD I would try to stay away from a whole lot of chrome. Aluminum is a lot better to get the heat out. Your going to pay for good chrome plated stuff. I think aluminum is a little easier to clean as well.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Sicboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
Hey Motor guys where do you get your chrome from. Is there cheap bad stuff. Billet better than chrome? Whats the difference between a long and short water pump.

I found a online place called motorchrome.com

They seem pretty cheap and that scares me...what do you guys think?

Jory
Skip the chrome..go aluminum.

Check out this guys ebay store... http://stores.shop.ebay.com/abad71camaro__W0QQ_armrsZ1

A coworker turned me on to him, and I've since gotten some excellent quality aluminum parts and a cheap hei too. Very thick stuff...and cheap $.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-S...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-P...#ht_670wt_1165
Sicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

With the short water pump, the backside of it almost touches the timing cover. With the long pump there is an inch or so of space. The engine out of your '79 has a long water pump. Trucks from '73 and up and cars from '69 and up had long water pumps from the factory. Starting in '88 the water pumps were reverse rotation due to the use of the serpentine belt drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
Whats the difference between a long and short water pump.
Jory
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote