The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
1964C10

You-pull-it yard in Charleston/Columbia SC

I am going to visit my parents next week in SC which means I get a chance hopefully to visit a good pull-it yard. Here in CA they are so picked over and few old trucks ever make it in. I researched on the internet but could not find a yard that allows you to do your own pulling. Any suggestions? They live midway between Charleston and Columbia so either direction is cool. Thanks in advance!!

My build thread
Looking for help on completing the Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

If you didn't build it, you don't really own it
1964C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
chris91

Re: You-pull-it yard in Charleston/Columbia SC

I live near charleston, and LKQ the u-pull here does not have any trucks earlier than 70's. A few years ago I lived in FLorence,SC and there was one there taht had plenty of old chevy's.
chris91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
CSGAS
optomistic ah-so

Having gone from SoCal to AZ through SC before coming to NC, my opinion is you will set a new standard for what you will judge as "picked clean" at a pull-for-yourself yard out this way.

I used to consider the "Pick-A-Part" yards as a gold mine, and even if I could not find what I was looking for I would still consider the $1 entry as "cheap entertainment" for the day as there was always something strange enough that I would learn something.

Out here there was even a TV commercial wher the local chain used the line "Cheap entertainment"...I thought it was a message from Gawd...thank goodness I misspell it rather than use His name in vain, because that claim was sure a lot of vanity.

They had "3 67-72 trucks" in one opinion. One was a bare frame, one was a frame with a wrecked bed, and the last was a frame with a tow truck bed.

Last weekend I complained politely at the Autofair. Their response was "well (drive 55 miles and) try our new location in Winston-Salem!" ha...hold your breath.

The better resources in these parts are private specialty yards, but the one I know of in the Columbia area is in Congaree and specializes in F-bodies. I am sure there are Chevy truck yards near there somewhere, but quite a few are up here in a triangle between Concord, Ft Bragg and Mint Hill (the Charlotte suburb where Fatman fab is located).

I really do miss Ecology yards (the company that runs Memory Lane)

1970 C-10 lwb Fleetside. Originally 350 2-bbl 3-on-the-tree, m/b, m/w, m/s no a/c. Currently running on a '76 Camaro 305.

Last edited by CSGAS; 09-19-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added final thought
CSGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
1964C10

Thanks for all the help guys! I will try and find the yard in Florence then and see how that goes. I am starting to think that maybe these kinds of trucks are as good as gone in most of these yards with few if any "new" ones coming in. I do enjoy going to ecology like you say for $2 it is good entertainment and you do learn stuff, as I will admit I have taken things apart always curious how they worked but never been able to. I also have a 96 Z28 so I pull parts for that car when I see it come in because GM stopped making parts a few years ago on alot of the stuff.

My build thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: You-pull-it yard in Charleston/Columbia SC

Been to all those places in SC.

One question? What's up with the mustard based BBQ?

Terrible!

I know of one here in my neck of the woods in Charlotte, NC.

Pull-A-Part:
http://www.pullapart.com/Locations/L...x?locationId=7

NC
http://www.google.com/m?client=ms-op...ck+and+pull+NC

SC
http://www.google.com/m?client=ms-op...ck+and+pull+SC
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
1964C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad62Pro/Street View Post
One question? What's up with the mustard based BBQ?

Terrible!
Hahaha I guess that is an acquired taste, I personally love it! the best way to eat barbeque! Here in CA they think bbq means a big slab of beef from which you cut slices and they pour Kraft bbq sauce over it. What is that? I remember doing all night long pig roasts back in high school.

Anyways thanks for the links!

My build thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Yep!!!!!!!!
NC Style Barbecue is different.

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pa...ges_large.html
North Carolina

Within North Carolina, there are two regional barbecue traditions, both based on the slow-cooking of pork, served pulled, or chopped. In Eastern North Carolina, typically the whole hog is used, and the dominant ingredients in the 'sauce' are vinegar and hot peppers. In the Piedmont, Lexington-style barbecue is the norm. It is prepared from primarily pork shoulder and served with a mix of vinegar-based and tomato-based sauce. The western style of barbecue is a tomato- based sauce. The tomato-based sauce, called "dip" by some, can be made with ketchup and is thinner and less sweet than most bottled barbecue sauces available nationwide. Except for the "whole hog" preparation, hams are not generally barbecued.

Throughout the State, as a noun, the term "barbecue" refers to slow cooked pork. It is almost never used to refer to a backyard cookout, although any meat basted in a barbecue sauce and cooked over heat can still be considered "barbecued," as an adjective; for example, "barbecued chicken," "barbecued steak," or "barbecued ribs." A common home preparation called "chicken barbecue" is oven-braised chicken pieces with a sauce, usually thin and slightly spicy, although it can also be braised on the grill by putting a broth-filled pot on top of a grill, a technique known as barbecue-braising.

Common side dishes include hushpuppies, coleslaw, french fries, boiled potatoes or potato salad, green beans, corn sticks, Brunswick stew, fried okra, and collard greens followed with cold sweet tea, peach cobbler, and banana pudding. In the popular North Carolina State Legislative Building cafeteria, accompaniments include fried pickle. Also popular is the "barbecue sandwich," consisting of barbecue, vinegar/pepper sauce, and sweet coleslaw served on a hamburger bun. A "barbecue tray" is a thick paper rectangular bowl with barbecue and french fries or hushpuppies served side-by-side. The meat may already have sauce mixed in, or the diner may add his own.

The state's best known annual food festival is the Lexington Barbecue Festival. It is normally held on one of the last two Saturdays in October. Attesting to its popularity, Carolina-style barbecue restaurants are scattered along the Eastern seaboard and tubs of NC chopped barbecue can be found in many grocers.

Now I lived in San Antonio TX for 2 1/2 years and thier barbeque is different!

Texas

Texas has four main regional styles of barbecue, all with different flavors, different cooking methods, different ingredients, and different cultural origins. East Texas barbecue is an extension of traditional southern barbecue, similar to that found in Tennessee and Arkansas. It is primarily pork-based, with cuts such as pork shoulder and pork ribs, indirectly slow smoked over primarily hickory wood. The sauce is tomato-based, sweet, and thick. This is also the most common urban barbecue in Texas, spread by African-Americans when they settled in big cities like Houston and Dallas.

Central Texas was settled by German and Czech settlers in the mid 1800s, and they brought with them European-style meat markets, which would smoke leftover cuts of pork and beef, often with high heat, using primarily native oak and pecan. The European settlers did not think of this meat as barbecue, but the Anglo farm workers who bought it started calling it such, and the name stuck. Traditionally, this barbecue is marinated but served without sauce, and with no sides other than saltine crackers, cucumber pickles, and onions. This style is found in the Barbecue Belt southeast of Austin, with Lockhart, Texas as its capital.

The border between the South Texas Plains and Northern Mexico has always been blurry, and this area of Texas, as well as its barbecue style, are mostly influenced by Mexican tastes. The area was the birthplace of the Texas ranching tradition, and the Mexican farmhands were often partially paid for their work in less desirable cuts of meat, such as the diaphragm, from which fajitas are made, and the cow's head. It is the cow's head which defines South Texas barbecue, called barbacoa. They would wrap the head in wet maguey leaves and bury it in a pit with hot coals for several hours, and then pull off the meat for barbacoa tacos. The tongue is also used to make lengua tacos. Today, barbacoa is mostly cooked in an oven in a bain-marie

The last style of Texas Barbecue also originated from Texas ranching traditions, but was developed in the western third of the state by Anglo ranchers. This style of "Cowboy" barbecue, cooked over an open pit using direct heat from mesquite, is the style most closely associated with Texas barbecue in popular imagination. The meat is primarily beef, shoulder clods and brisket being favorite cuts, but mutton and goat are also often found in this barbecue style

Last edited by 1Bad62Pro/Street; 09-21-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
1964C10

HAHHAAH....ok that is more then I ever knew about BBQ of course I am still partial to pulled pork, when it's sliced it just becomes roast beef lol. What does any of this have to do with trucks? hummm nothing unless you rig up a barbeque on the hitch of your truck!

My build thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
Skirkpat

Pick a part yards seem to destroy these trucks before you can get any good parts in my opinion, everyone sees them as a way to make a buck on E bay. also the knuckleheads that are usually there hiding parts in the waistbands of their underwear usualy have a mismatched set of 12 point sockets, apair of vice grips, a wore out crescent wrench a hammer and a dull hacksaw all stuffed in a couple of Wal Mart bags....not really what's neede to take parts of of 40 tr old trucks without tearing EVERYTHING up.

And as Far as BBQ goes, anyone on here is welcome to come to K.C., I will gladly give you the grand tour of BBQ Mecca, yes the true HOLY LAND of smoked animal parts, remember, it's not the sauce, it's the smoke that makes the meat.

if you hurry, you can make the American Royal A.K.A. as the "World Series of BBQ" a truly amazing site for anyone whois not a devout vegitarian!!
http://www.americanroyal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=65

oh, and a 2001 HD 2500, 8.1 Allison Shortbed 4 Door

Last edited by Skirkpat; 09-22-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964C10 View Post
HAHHAAH....ok that is more then I ever knew about BBQ of course I am still partial to pulled pork, when it's sliced it just becomes roast beef lol. What does any of this have to do with trucks? hummm nothing unless you rig up a barbeque on the hitch of your truck!
Ha ha yea I agree.
Moving foward.........

Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
1964C10

Well while I was home I called around, so FYI for anyone near the Charleston area the only pullit yard is LKQ and when I called them to ask about our era trucks the guy said if they did there would be a line out the door so the answer is no. Looks like only the midwest still has them parked in yards I guess.

My build thread