The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
SBC RACING

Tremec 3550 in a 62

Hey Guys,

I have a 62 shortbed with a 350 and an SM420 transmission. A friend has a Tremec 3550 with a Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Throw-Out Bearing (clutch is a 26 spline unit out of an 80s corvette) that i want to buy and install in the truck. I have reasearched and it looks like my bellhousing will work but, i want to know whether the Tremec and the clutch/pressure plate setup that comes with it will work with my factory Hydraulic Clutch setup ??? (hydraulic actuated clutch fork)

Also, will i have to modify anything on the Tremec or its input shaft itself when i install it ???

Lastly, can i use the rear shifter mounting location on the transmission with a bench seat and the hurst shift lever for bench seats or do i have to use the $300 mid mounting shifter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks so much
SBC RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Tremec 3550 in a 62

I don't see why the Tremec and clutch assembly won't work in your '62 bellhousing. That is assuming you're not talking about a hydraulic throwout bearing.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
Eagar1

Nothing needs to change with your clutch set up other than perhaps a friction disc that matches the splines on the trans. As far as the shifter goes, you will need to measure where it pops out of your floor pan, and perhaps you can bend the lever foward, or make a custom lever to clear your seat. I have even seen where you can notch your bench back a bit, but its likely you are going to have a problem with it. Good time to go to buckets! You may have to come up with a new rear mount on the trans, I am not sure if they can hang off the bellhousing, and you may need a special driveshaft. I am sure some of the more experienced here will be able to give you the fine details.
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: Tremec 3550 in a 62

FYI:
I would go with
the Tremec TKO 5 Speed Conversion Kit, 1960-72 GM Trucks Basic Kit

TR-3550 TKO TREMEC 5 speed

1. Tunnel fitment.
The TKO will fit within the tunnel of 1960-72 GM trucks without having to enlarge or cut the tunnel.

2. Shifter location. Shifter locations for trucks will vary depending on several factors. If you have bucket seats in your truck, you can use the stock Tremec shifter that is included with the TKO transmission. This shifter can be positioned in one of two locations – either 16.75” back form the front of the transmission where the transmission meets the bellhousing or 19.5” back from the front of the transmission. When using a bench seat, the most common shifter position is the mid-shift location on the TKO which positions the shifter 12.65” back from the front of the transmission.* The mid-shifter is an optionally purchased item.

3. Crossmember & transmission mount. You will need a custom made crossmember designed specifically for the TKO conversion. A custom crossmember along with a polyurethane transmission mount are included with each TKO kit.

4. Bellhousing & clutch linkage. Your stock truck bellhousing may or may not work with the TKO. An optional bellhousing is available. Your stock clutch linkage will work with the TKO however a different clutch fork may be required.

5. Driveshaft. You will need a new, shorter driveshaft with a 26 spline slip yoke. A new driveshaft with slip yoke and ujoints is included with each TKO kit.

6. Speedometer and reverse lights. You will need a custom speedometer cable that is compatible with the TKO as well as your stock speedometer gauge. The TKO also has a provision for an electric speedometer. An electric speedometer wiring harness or a custom speedometer cable with the correct speedometer gear for your rear tire size and rear gear ratio is included with each TKO kit.

7. Clutch components. You will need a 26 spline clutch disc. Replacing your pressure plate and clutch disc at the same time is recommended.

1960-72 GM Truck Tremec Overdrive Transmission Kit Installation

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/GM...tallation.aspx

Tremec TKO 5 Speed Conversion Kit, 1960-72 GM Trucks Basic Kit

http://www.cms-grp.com/index.php?opt...108&Itemid=108

You got any pics of that 62?
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.

Last edited by 1Bad62Pro/Street; 09-20-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: TR-3550 TKO TREMEC 5 speed
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
SBC RACING

Thanks for the help

I'll post pics as soon as i take some,

Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
SBC RACING

Well, after doing some more research im confused...Does the bellhousing in my '62 (sm420 trans) have the correct register size for the throwout bearing retainer on the Tremec's?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
astrochimp

Links to more T5 tech threads that you can shake a shifter at.............

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=169265
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What size is required for the Tremec? There are two sizes on the older bellhousings. The larger is 5 1/8" and the smaller IIRC is 4 3/4". I think the SM420 used the 4 3/4" (smaller one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC RACING View Post
Well, after doing some more research im confused...Does the bellhousing in my '62 (sm420 trans) have the correct register size for the throwout bearing retainer on the Tremec's?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 09-22-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Old Post, but still a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad62Pro/Street View Post
FYI:
I would go with
the Tremec TKO 5 Speed Conversion Kit, 1960-72 GM Trucks Basic Kit

TR-3550 TKO TREMEC 5 speed

1. Tunnel fitment.
The TKO will fit within the tunnel of 1960-72 GM trucks without having to enlarge or cut the tunnel.

2. Shifter location. Shifter locations for trucks will vary depending on several factors. If you have bucket seats in your truck, you can use the stock Tremec shifter that is included with the TKO transmission. This shifter can be positioned in one of two locations – either 16.75” back form the front of the transmission where the transmission meets the bellhousing or 19.5” back from the front of the transmission. When using a bench seat, the most common shifter position is the mid-shift location on the TKO which positions the shifter 12.65” back from the front of the transmission.* The mid-shifter is an optionally purchased item.

3. Crossmember & transmission mount. You will need a custom made crossmember designed specifically for the TKO conversion. A custom crossmember along with a polyurethane transmission mount are included with each TKO kit.

4. Bellhousing & clutch linkage. Your stock truck bellhousing may or may not work with the TKO. An optional bellhousing is available. Your stock clutch linkage will work with the TKO however a different clutch fork may be required.

5. Driveshaft. You will need a new, shorter driveshaft with a 26 spline slip yoke. A new driveshaft with slip yoke and ujoints is included with each TKO kit.

6. Speedometer and reverse lights. You will need a custom speedometer cable that is compatible with the TKO as well as your stock speedometer gauge. The TKO also has a provision for an electric speedometer. An electric speedometer wiring harness or a custom speedometer cable with the correct speedometer gear for your rear tire size and rear gear ratio is included with each TKO kit.

7. Clutch components. You will need a 26 spline clutch disc. Replacing your pressure plate and clutch disc at the same time is recommended.

1960-72 GM Truck Tremec Overdrive Transmission Kit Installation

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/GM...tallation.aspx

Tremec TKO 5 Speed Conversion Kit, 1960-72 GM Trucks Basic Kit

http://www.cms-grp.com/index.php?opt...108&Itemid=108

You got any pics of that 62?

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote