The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Pont406

Newer truck or keep mine?

For over a year I didn't do much to my truck. Just oil changes, p/s box and drove it hard. It needs brakes and suspension rebuilt. Drums are squaking so bad that cars get out of my way. Maybe I am getting too old but I really missed an a/c. Before I didn't care because my buddy had a 07 Ferd 350 we used for long trips and towing. Well, he lost that truck in order to keep a house. So now I don't have a truck to tow my car to a track. It's about 100 miles one way.
If I fix my truck will it tow 4500-5000 lbs? Only 200 miles round trip. I have all parts to do it but a prop valve, master and rear axles. If it's can tow I might get an a/c later on.
Maybe I should sell it and buy a mid 90s gm truck? I see them for sale cheap.
I am also consern about the frame. It's rusting due to a truck park outside all the time. I might just let it seat and buy mid 90s truck cheap.
I need some advise on these issues.
Attached Images

Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Newer truck or keep mine?

Just based on what you have said, I would probably get a newer truck, then park your classic and work on the brakes & suspension (and anything else needing attention) as you have time. It could become a really nice weekend ride, or a great daily driver with new mechanicals, maybe even functional A/C!

That's a very nice-looking truck, btw.... good color, too!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

if you are going to bail on a good old truck over some minor maintenace you dont deserve it to begin with.

there was a time when these were the only trucks that were avaiable and people towed with them, and took them on long drives, and used them like a truck and everything.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
QKENUF4U

LOL you call that rust.... LOL..... it would be way cheaper to fix your truck than to buy a 90's beater... but its your money.. do as ya please....
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I would fix and run what you have. That's not rust BTW. No smog and easy to work on, it's a no brainer.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Just based on what you have said, I would probably get a newer truck, then park your classic and work on the brakes & suspension (and anything else needing attention) as you have time. It could become a really nice weekend ride, or a great daily driver with new mechanicals, maybe even functional A/C!

That's a very nice-looking truck, btw.... good color, too!
X2... Pont406 you have a very solid looking truck ans also like the green. If you need a newer truck as a DD then go ahead a but it but keep your 69-70 and fix it up as you can. Good luck.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
big_al_71

Sell it !!!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I see no reason to sell it. It's got the power to tow. I flat-towed a '65 Comet with my '64 Bonneville, from Ft. Smith, AR to Tucson, AZ. All I see is some surface rust, which is not a big deal.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'm gonna start saving links to these rust posts from the so-cal guys.
You could wipe that off with brake clean and a rag.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 09-21-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #10
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

1. I saw the picture of the underside of your truck. WHAT rust?
2. I should hope that if your towed car is on a trailer and weighs 4000-5000 LBS that the trailer has it's own brakes. If not, I would sure wouldn't tow anything with that truck until you got at least new front disks on it. In any case I would keep the old truck and not buy some new plastic POS. Put your money into a good truck.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
Pont406

I looked at a couple mid 90s trucks at work and these were a tottal pos. No power and already in need of a restoration. So I am fixing mine.
At the same time my tempest project is on hold. That thing is becoming a major money pit. Couple pics of the tempest.
I took front end apart today. Shocks ac delco Canada and everything else was original. No wonder it was riding like a boat latelly. Not bad for a 40 years of use. Try that in a newer nissan or toyota.
I had to buy a socket set. It took some heat and finally all apart. Control arms need to be sandblasted or acid dip to remove rust. No tires yet.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #12
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
To me that's a rusty frame. I sometimes mistake red primer or dirt for rust. If I just think a vehicle might have some rust anywhere on it, I run.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #13
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
He is just looking for an excuse to sell it. SELL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:14 AM   #14
tecky11

ill take it off of your hands for ya!!!!!!
tecky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
long67

You know I have ask myself the same question recently. Heres where i am at , I just had vacation this week and we took the trailer and went camping at the beach. Almost everytime I stopped someone would comment or ask about my truck, had three guys come by separetly while setting up at the first camp spot ,same at the second,thumbs up everywhere. Would people do that if you was in a 90s truck? I don't think so. Keep and fix what you got I have had mine for 23yrs.
96 mustang
11 dodge nitro
long67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #16
70cst

Quote:

Ok LHM...I'm going to get religion in this post as a reply to your comment. AMEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by long67 View Post
You know I have ask myself the same question recently. Heres where i am at , I just had vacation this week and we took the trailer and went camping at the beach. Almost everytime I stopped someone would comment or ask about my truck, had three guys come by separetly while setting up at the first camp spot ,same at the second,thumbs up everywhere. Would people do that if you was in a 90s truck? I don't think so. Keep and fix what you got I have had mine for 23yrs.
long67...you are spot on. The reason I am having the Circuit Rider restored is its going to be "my" truck and the one I will use when I need a truck to haul rocks and trees on the farm..."Just kidding" . I agree you will get a lot more "Thumbs Up" with our trucks then most newer trucks although we do have a few who have some very nice looking square body trucks...but I won't mention names. "N2TRUX" There is a reason the 67-72 style trucks are knowm as "classics".

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
Rob H.

I grew up around these trucks, we used them everyday. I used to haul corn, sand, lumber, whatever needed hauled. I'd like to see a mid 90's 3/4 ton truck haul 3 ton of sand and still be going. I say keep it, and if you think that's rust you should come east, then you'll know what rust really is!
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)

Last edited by Rob H.; 09-26-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #18
VanceH
Loving the Jimmster

Seems to me that for what you would spend on a newer 90's truck you could probably find another 63-72 c-20 that could haul you anywhere, then you would have TWO!!!
VanceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
roughedup72

O.K.,O.K., just go ahead and sell me the truck for 1000 dollars. Thats all its worth with all that rust,Besides that it would make a really good parts truck for me I coouldnt imagine having a good old straight truck to start with so just go ahead and send it on over to south carolina. Then go ahead and get you a new truck.

But seriously,Keep that damn truck, Did you bump your head in the middle of the night and wake up with this crazy idea? I haul my boat to the lake with mine and up the ramps without even breaking traction unless I get on it,My boat weighs alot. I'm not sure how much but I know it weighs more than the truck. If the trailer had trailer brakes on it like it is supposed to have, then I would'nt think twice about pulling it across country. I also load mine down over the bed sides with heavey oak wood for heating my house in the winter The problems with my truck are more mechanical than you could imagine but its nothing that cant be fixed with a little time on the weekend. You want do that with a newer truck.
Its a good looking old truck and after market air isn't that hard to install. Disc and a little tlc and you got yourself a top notch truck that will do anything you wont it to do without paying 400-500 dollars a month on a newer truck without mentioning insurance and taxes. Keep that truck.
1972 chevy cheyenne 10,nothing special at the moment,Its a work in progress, Working on the engine, paint and body,engine, paint and body,now its the suspenion, ahh hell I'm about tired of working on it. Maybe it will be a rat rod.

Last edited by roughedup72; 09-26-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: change a sentence
roughedup72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
cdowns

with your rust issues maybe just take it to the recycler and crush it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pont406 View Post
For over a year I didn't do much to my truck. Just oil changes, p/s box and drove it hard. It needs brakes and suspension rebuilt. Drums are squaking so bad that cars get out of my way. Maybe I am getting too old but I really missed an a/c. Before I didn't care because my buddy had a 07 Ferd 350 we used for long trips and towing. Well, he lost that truck in order to keep a house. So now I don't have a truck to tow my car to a track. It's about 100 miles one way.
If I fix my truck will it tow 4500-5000 lbs? Only 200 miles round trip. I have all parts to do it but a prop valve, master and rear axles. If it's can tow I might get an a/c later on.
Maybe I should sell it and buy a mid 90s gm truck? I see them for sale cheap.
I am also consern about the frame. It's rusting due to a truck park outside all the time. I might just let it seat and buy mid 90s truck cheap.
I need some advise on these issues.
If your frame looked like your exhaust then maybe you have a point about getting rid of the truck.

I hauled at least 4500lbs of truck and trailer almost 400 miles through hills with a 71 half ton, manual brakes and no trailer brakes. Add power and trailer brakes and you won't even know uratowin!
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pont406 View Post
I looked at a couple mid 90s trucks at work and these were a tottal pos. No power and already in need of a restoration. So I am fixing mine.... I took front end apart today. Shocks ac delco Canada and everything else was original. No wonder it was riding like a boat latelly. Not bad for a 40 years of use. Try that in a newer nissan or toyota.
Now you're thinkin' right. A rebuild on the suspension is a weekend job. Adding disc brakes for the safety factor is a wise choice & another easy job w/all the board vendors & parts availability. You can even use newer 73-87 a-arms for additional 'cushion' against road vibration/noise.

I would bet once the front end rebuild is complete & the brakes are done, you'll realize just how great these old trucks can be (when they're in good mechanical condition; not hacked or worn out).

When that's done, search Vintage Air for their retrofit a/c kits. From inside the cab, things appear as if stock a/c was there. There's less clutter under the hood, & the systems are modern w/similar advancements like new trucks.
Other options would be Old Air Products & Classic Air.

I'm glad you decided to keep another great truck on the road!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-26-2009 at 12:57 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
long69

the first dmv renewal with smog check required, you get you'll wish you had that truck back.
not quite 20 years ago(early 90's) i had '66 lemans that same yeller. 389 4 spd.
long69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #24
Pont406

Ok, couple questions. I have a stainless line kit but factory line seems to fit just fine. Do I really need to replace lines?
If I do keep original lines then both front lines will share one port on a prop valve and I'll plug the other port. Will this work? Thanks.
Attached Images