The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
SBC RACING

Tremec in my '62 Shortbed???

I also posted this in the 60-66 forum but i figured some of you guys have probably done the swap and will have some insight. I currently have a '62 shortbed with a 350 and sm420 transmission. I want to swap in a Tremec TKO transmission.

First, do guys know whether the factory bellhousing i have will work with the Tremec TKO transmission - Is the register in the bellhousing the right size for the throwout bearing retainer on the Tremec?

Is it OK to just use the crossmember under the bellhousing with the Tremec hanging there, or do i need a crossmember under the trans itself? I ask because i have a '62 with the torsion bars and im not sure if a crossmember will fit under the trans with the torsion bars??? Maybe someone has done this???

Lastly, my truck has the factory hydraulic clutch setup with the slave cylinder pushing the clutch fork..Will this setup be OK with the Tremec trans?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thank you
SBC RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Heater63

Re: Tremec in my '62 Shortbed???

SBC,

I am getting in the boat with you, except I have a 63. I was thinking about a T5 but have decided on the TKO500 or DMc Bullet.
Yes, they are going to recommend a tranny crossmember support, even if you have the old cast iron bellhousing that mounts to the rear crossmember.

I recommend you call Classic Motorsports (classicchevy5speed.com) as they have pre planned kits for 60-72 trucks. Also, Keisler carries the TKO as well as a remanufactured T45 known as the DMc Bullet that is several hundred dollars cheaper. You can get a trans from jegs or summit, but your on your own with install questions.

Also, Keisler has a hydraulic clutch bearing; I don't know about Classic. I am planning on running a hydraulic pedal, although it might be a traditional fork and bearing, using a Novak adapter/hydraulic slave.

I'm months away from buying, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
bob-n

Hmmm... my first post... been lurking for a bit absorbing info, now it's time to contribute.

I just installed a T5 in my 62. The T5 came out of an Astro van, so the bolt pattern was correct, literally bolted right to the bell (after opening up the bolt holes slightly for size). I used an 11" clutch from the Astro (summit racing) with factory cylinder and TO bearing. The trans tunnel needs to be reworked... go from the step in the rear straight forward to a point 2.5" above where the tunnel turns back up in the front. Fabbed a crossmember for tail support... I don't trust the little aluminum ears. I did drive it about 50 miles without any additional support. The T5's will come with a few different bolt patterns... standard GM, Ford, and the oddball offset Camaro.

The TKO... is just a newer heavier duty version of the T5 WC...? Keisler does a good job of packaging drop in conversions for these trannys... Just make sure everything is in stock first.
bob-n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I have a Muncie M-20 hanging from the stock bellhousing support on my '65 short-step, been that way a long time. When I got the truck a year ago I was worried about the aluminum tranny housing ears also. I did some research on the web and found that 55-56-57 Chevy cars had the bell housing / no-tranny mount set-up.

What I learned was that you should only have (2) support locations. If you add the tail housing support you should eliminate the bell housing support. Look at how the factory did supports, always (2) locations, not three. The 3rd support adds strain to the mounting arrangment.

Here are some of the replies I got when I asked the tranny xmember question:

#1. I have a 55 hardtop that has run a Muncie since the early seventies with no issues. This car has seen a variety of small blocks and big blocks which pushed it anywhere from mid 14's to mid 12's. I broke spider gears, side gears, ring gears, and pinions in the stock rear ends and never had a tranny issue. Upgraded to a Dana 60 and haven't broken anything since. The driveline in this car has been abused severely. I would not worry about the lack of a tailshaft crossmember.

#2. I ran an aluminum case Muncie 4-speed in a dirt track race car for many years without a rear crossmember, and we went from closed throttle to full throttle, 2,500 RPM to 6,000 and back to 2,500 RPM in 2nd. gear 4 times a lap for up to 100 laps. I can't remember ever breaking a trans case except once when the car ended up as the meat in the sandwich in a 3-car pileup, one car on top of the other.

#3. Just thought I would comment. Years ago I had a 55.2 (1955 second series pickup) with a very warm 396 in it. It was mounted at the front of the engine and at the bell housing with stock truck mounts. I had a Muncie 4 speed car tranny in it without a rear cross member. The truck had the stock 3.9 gears with 11x31 offroad tires on it. It was driven hard on many occasions. I never had any problems with the trans. I am not saying that it is not possible to break the trans off from the bell housing, just that it will take more torque and horse power than most trucks will be equipped with.

It's hard to argue with experience.

Here is a link to the old thread on the Stovebolt http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...901#Post449901

John

Last edited by lakeroadster; 09-22-2009 at 02:49 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
SBC RACING

Thanks for the help guys..I'll let you know how it goes
SBC RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Heater63

Thanks lakeroadster! It's good to hear of your extensive experience with the bellhousing mounts only. If I don't need a third support at the tailshaft, I sure will enjoy saving the time and few bucks to not install one.

How about that. news that something might be simpler and cheaper than expected!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
courage 80

I put a T56 in my 65 chevy. I got it from a late 90s camaro. I used the aluminum bellhousing from the camaro (which mounted right up to the 350) and fabbed a tail support because that was the previous mounting points in the camaro. I dont know if the tremac is as long as the T56 but if it is close I would want a rear support. My original trans was fairly short and the weight was held close to the bellhousing. The longer transmission may create more force on the bellhousing.
courage 80 is offline   Reply With Quote