The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
T/C

Bed is off...

Need to know what all i should do to the frame before it goes back on... I already know i am going to reinfoce the frame where it had been shortened by the PO (Talking to another member on that at the moment) Also know i am going to redo the exhaust and cut some holes for it to run threw so it is not my low point.. Here is the question... I know i am going to be lowering the truck but i dont know how much... and i am going to wait to do it till i have the money for the wheels and tires that i am going to be putting on the truck... I want it to sit how Most bagged trucks sit at ride height... Will i need to notch the frame for this??? Also i am going to be finding a tank to put in the back so i do not have a in cap tank anymore... Can anyone else think of any other things i should do? Dont have the money for rear disc brakes atm but any suggestions are welcome... Just brain storming while at work!
T/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
nsuengineer06

Re: Bed is off...

First thing most people do is clean it up real good and paint it to prevent rust. There are tons of threads on here about lowering, such as how far you can go with and without a notch and what they look like lowered a given amount.. Just run a search for it. For example here is a thread on 3/5 drops.. Click Here
There is also a very good FAQ index thread located HERE that has a lot of how-to's and such. There are several threads there discussing relocating the tank to the back of the truck. Also, if it were me, while I was at it I would be sure to change out any and all old bushings that I could find like trailing arm bushings, track arm bushings, etc.. Hope this helps a little and good luck!

P.S. keep us updated with pics!!!!!
1984 C30 LWB Dually 454/4 spd 4:10
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
nsuengineer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsuengineer06 View Post
First thing most people do is clean it up real good and paint it to prevent rust. There are tons of threads on here about lowering, such as how far you can go with and without a notch and what they look like lowered a given amount.. Just run a search for it. For example here is a thread on 3/5 drops.. Click Here
There is also a very good FAQ index thread located HERE that has a lot of how-to's and such. There are several threads there discussing relocating the tank to the back of the truck. Also, if it were me, while I was at it I would be sure to change out any and all old bushings that I could find like trailing arm bushings, track arm bushings, etc.. Hope this helps a little and good luck!

Thanks already have the low down on relocating the tank from a friend who has done it on 2 trucks frame has already been prepped primed and painted just needs one last coat of paint (Did as much as i could with the cab on... For now i dont have the time to do frame off rebuild but... Doing as much as i can Lol Good idea on the bushing had not thought about that yet! Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsuengineer06 View Post

Lol And i will also get some pics... I have some crappy start pics from when i got the truck 2 weeks ago i will get... and i will take some with my phone tonight when i go to the shop after work..
Old 09-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

I believe that the general consensus is that if you want to go any lower than 4" in the rear you will need to install C-notches and install an adjustable tracking bar.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

if you have the bed off and are going to swap out the old bushings I would put a notch in and flip the rear shock mounts..also unless you go with a full notch so its up into the bed then you will have room to run your exhaust under the frame thats what I did I have a 2" home made c notch and cupped stock LCA on bags heres what it looks like
Attached Images

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
if you have the bed off and are going to swap out the old bushings I would put a notch in and flip the rear shock mounts..also unless you go with a full notch so its up into the bed then you will have room to run your exhaust under the frame thats what I did I have a 2" home made c notch and cupped stock LCA on bags heres what it looks like
Exhaust is dumped right after the cab so will not be a problem
Old 09-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewatts View Post
I believe that the general consensus is that if you want to go any lower than 4" in the rear you will need to install C-notches and install an adjustable tracking bar.
Then i will need a C-Notch! Lol thank you for your input Will look more in too it