The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
T/C

My 1970 GMC SWB Build

Okay so i am new here... I started off with a few threads asking questions and talking about what i have done ect. . People well.. One person told me to keep them updated with pictures... And i enjoy talking about the things that i have done.. So i figured i would save everyone from having to look threw countless threads by me started about my truck and i will keep all my questions and pictures in here!... Now for starters my grammar is not the best.. Sorry if it bothers anyone but its not going to change and i dont care to here about it

Now about the truck..

I got the truck two weeks ago... Had been looking for a box body chevy (73-87) Because i figured a 67-72 in the shape i was looking for would be out of my price range.. I went to check out another truck at a guys house that i was told the body was in great shape and needed little work other then some body panels put back on And that it had a new 327 with double hump carb... bunch of fun stuff but when i got there Although it was a super nice motor the rest of the truck was trashed rust everywhere wiring harness was sitting in the big pile of parts... I did not have the time for a project like this then i saw a black swb gmc sitting in the front and started talking to him about it... He had picked it up because he also did not want to have to put the amount of work needed in to the other truck... I had just drove 2 hours to check out the other POS so i figured it would not be that big of a deal to ask him if he was willing to sell that truck.. He said yes! Lol first step was done so i asked what his bottom doller was... He told me 4k.. My budget was 3k i sold my stunt bike for 3k and did not want to spend anymore then that... So we started talking about the truck more and then he told me to go drive it and see what i thought.. Adding this in so sorry if its random but the truck also has a 2 year old GM Creat motor and a rebuilt turbo 350 transmission (Me being the impulsive buyer i am) Did not want to drive the truck and get myself worked up if he would not sell it for what i had to spend... So i told him i only had 3k and thats all i could spend on it he thought about it a little but then said okay to the deal he said he needed the money His loss my gain.. Soooo... We got the truck..

Now about what was wrong with the truck ... That i could see..

1) The bed was ... To put it as nice as i can.. In horrible shape.. starting with the inside of the bed... they made the floor out of 11ga. sheet... So it rattled like no other and the body lines were off... And this was a LWB Truck first so it is also not the original bed (They got another bed and did not just cut down the org.) The bed is covered in bondo and its the worst job i have ever seen i think a 8 year old . could have done better... there are small dings all over it and the right side has been bent a little where the bumper should be.. lol back up light is missing just a bunch of little things that add up... not sure if i will be going with a new bed or what... but for now its a job thats down the road so i am not worried about it...

2) The inside was kinda trashy but not wrecked

3) Wheels and tires

4)Well thats the thing other then a few little things the truck seemed great... Seemed is a key word Lol

Okay that was the things we noticed the first day...

Here is a list of things we discovered..

1) That night we drove it to my Girls parents house and on the way home the head light bright switch shorted out and we lost all of are lights on the highway Lol.... Had her dad come let us follow him home and we got a new switch from another car.. no big deal

2) Started smelling gas... Like to the point that my head was starting to hurt... So started looking and there was 3 small leaks on the in cab tank... no big deal just going to find a tank that will fit from another car and work something up to fix that and have it in the bed..

3) When you get going over 30 there was a major vibration (More on that in a few)

Okay so I started by pulling the bed out and getting some small wood blocks to line the body up (Ended up being 5/8s to get everything right (I have been told that the bed should be 5/8 think) So i guess thats why it worked

after that i got to work on the inside... Made me some door pannels cleaned the carpet up... put a radio in the dash and some old vents for now to fill up the holes... and welded up my seat brackets for the late chevy seats that it has in it... They will be mounted after i figure out for sure what i am doing with the gas tank...

Also stripped all the rust off the frame and everything else under the bed that was all rusty and went over it with a wire brush then primed and painted it all. (Did not do the rear end cause it will be coming out and i am just going to sand blast it or something...

Anyways i had to rush the first week to finish the inside and finish with the frame and everything to clean it up cause i wanted to go to a car show that weekend with my cousin... Got everything done and made it to the show and me and my cousin won are classes! Good start imo Lol

BUT on the way there i noticed transmission fluid was leaking from my drive shaft and covering everything... and when we were parked at the show fluid was going everywhere...

Got home and started checking and it was a bad rear seal... I did not check all that well cause it was dark but the next morning i put some fluid in it and took it to are shop so i could get a better look.. we took the Drive shaft out and the U Joints were wack... the whole thing was out of balance and too short... it being to short was not letting it in to the transmission where it needed to be and it wore out the seal and a few other things (I forget what the thing behind the seal is called lol I am just learning all the mech. stuff my step dad is a master mechanic and tells me how to do everything as he sits there and watches so i am learning! Anyways got the new Drive shaft and the transmission stuff all fixed today and drove it back to work and all the vibrations are gone and it drives awesome!

Now for my plans...

The truck is going to stay flat black and pin stripped till i can pay for a good black paint job (That will be awhile Lol)

I pretty much have the inside done other then some fine detailing... I will improve on it as parts come my way.. I dont have all the money in the world i am 20 just got my first house that me and my girlfriend live together in... AKA I have bills now...

The truck will be lowered but i am not changing anything till i get my wheels and tires on it.. Going with 20's maybe black i am not sure will have a chrome rim around the edge though so it wont blend in with the black truck to much if i do go that way..

bed is being worked on right now doing some reinforcing to the frame and cleaning everything up while the bed is off... going to be a plywood floor with alum. diamond plate on top...

The motor is staying all stock for now... Other then i am going to put some headers on it cause i am going to redo the exhaust so it is not the low point on my truck and i want to go with 2.5'' pipe and not the 1'5 it has...same as everything else as money comes my way improvements will be made.. I will post up some pictures of the truck when i got it and the progress i have made so far and then keep everyone updated from there... and i am also sure i have forgot to put somethings in here some of you may want to know so ask away!

For now i am out of here! No internet at home so will get everything added in the morning that i left out
T/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
T/C

Re: My 1970 GMC SWB Build

Well here is a crappy picture i have from my phone... I took it for the 7 day it would not stop raining last week... so its messy I will get good pictures up in the morning lol

Last edited by T/C; 09-24-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
QKENUF4U

wow.. thinking i would have test drove it before buying it but if youre happy thats all that counts.... get some good pics and good luck with it...
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
wow.. thinking i would have test drove it before buying it but if youre happy thats all that counts.... get some good pics and good luck with it...
We did test drive it even said so in the post lol I knew something was wrong but was not for sure.. was not a big deal and knew it was something that could be fixed... The motor ran smooth and it shifted fine and the cab was in amazing shape... little vibrating was not really a big concern for me... If its something mechanical i cant fix my self i have my step dad to help me and we get all are parts cheap so as i said no worrys there..
Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
QKENUF4U

Question Re: My 1970 GMC SWB Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/C View Post
Did not want to drive the truck and get myself worked up if he would not sell it for what i had to spend... So i told him i only had 3k and thats all i could spend on it he thought about it a little but then said okay to the deal he said he needed the money His loss my gain.. Soooo... We got the truck..
all that matters if youre happy...
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Ram-Man

How about a couple pics of your avatar? I was offered a t bucket project today for free. I'll probably take it but know nothing about them
Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
all that matters if youre happy...
Ohh my bad Lol what i ment when i said that is i did not want to drive it untill he said he would take what i had (After he said yes i did) My bad for the confusion And yes i am more then happy $200 Later and i have a new drive shaft and a truck that drives perfect
Old 09-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
How about a couple pics of your avatar? I was offered a t bucket project today for free. I'll probably take it but know nothing about them
I will See if i can find a few Dont have many pictures on this computer at work. And hey its free you can always learn about something that is 1/2 the fun building a car
Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
T/C

Quote:
http://www.daararacing.com/billwendt.html

This link has a good picture of it in there... Along with a few of his other toys..

A few others

Google Bill wendt... You will find a few things on him and a few things about his car and other things he has done... And do give credit where due.. He is my grandfather as i said and he has been the best i could ever ask for he got me interested in cars before i can even remember.. And has helped me threw alot of things now at times he may have been hard on me but i think it was worth it Without him i would not know what i know.. Or be where i am! Anyways back to my truck though Will have some pictures up soon.

Ohh and a side note... A few months ago the car was hit by some old lady and totaled bent the frame and both axles... It will be fixed but i am not sure if it will be going back to what it was.. have not talked to him about it that much lol

Last edited by T/C; 09-25-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
T/C

Okay so this is where the truck is at now... I will have to get some before pictures this afternoon my girlfriend has them on her computer..

The inside is just kinda thrown together with what i had.. I have a friend that has new vents for me, window cranks and a few other small things.. The carpet is dirty have been working on it alot so have not had time to clean it up very good.. And the wires under the dash are to the radio.. waiting to figure out if i am even going to use that one and where the speakers will be going... the PO started cutting a hole on the drivers door i may use that for speakers but i dont know yet...

The same guy also has mirrors for me and a rear window and is working on getting me a gas tank Not sure if that deal is going to work out though... That is why the idea of the gas tank in the back is still up in the air because the one he can get is in cab.. Also will need a roll pan but have to do a little work to the bed before its ready for it..

Anyone who knows input would be great.. Cause i have no clue and all my stepdads friends have been arguing about what it should be... But what is with the Leaf springs? Should it be coils? input would be great! cause i have seen both... But have no really looked in to it all that much.. Anyways the rear end will be coming out to be sandblasted and cleaned up before i paint it and new shocks will be going on so thats why they kinda stick out atm lol

Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
T/C

Thats it for now will have more later today
Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
6772owner
Gearhead

From what I know, GMC's are usually leaf spring and Chevy's are usually coil spring. (Im sure that some GMC's came coil, but not sure what "option" that would be under)

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6772owner View Post
From what I know, GMC's are usually leaf spring and Chevy's are usually coil spring. (Im sure that some GMC's came coil, but not sure what "option" that would be under)
Ahh okay thats cool Thank you!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Ram-Man

We like pics!! Thanks for the linky
Old 09-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
T/C

Quote:
We like pics!! Thanks for the linky
No problem lol
Old 09-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #16
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Damn, I know I have good taste, but you didn't have to clone my truck! Nice lookin rig ya got there, can't wait to see how she turns out for ya

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #17
T/C

Well since you like pictures and my trucks not very interesting yet Lol here are a few of are family's other toys

This is my Cousins "Studbaker" Lol a project they have just gotten started on

This is the car my grandpa had built for his dogs... Lol The paint is crazy nice for a toy

This is my grandma's Cobra

Grandpa passing 1st place in his midget not only is it nice its fast he out runs people in modern midgets with this thing..

This is one of his old funny cars... He no longer drag races though.. Just Races midgets and runs at the salt flats now

This is his 32.. It has been a driver... A Drag car... A club house at my uncles and then restored in to this stock car.. Lol I remember climbing all over this when it was a rust bucket in my uncles back yard..

There are a few more pictures for you

Last edited by T/C; 06-01-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
Damn, I know I have good taste, but you didn't have to clone my truck! Nice lookin rig ya got there, can't wait to see how she turns out for ya

Haha great minds think alike And i hope she turns out great! Looking at your build thread now
Old 09-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
T/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
I really like the way yours sits Nice truck man
Old 10-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
T/C

Okay little bit of an update... Really have not gotten much done has not stopped raining.... But will fill everyone in on what is done (Sorry no pictures nothing to interesting to look at atm) Had to get a new drive shaft.. the one that was in there was way short and wore out the bushing and seal in the back of the tranny and also the u joints were horible... Fixing that fixed all of my vibration problems!! Lol started cleaning up under the hood just normal things there... Now here is why i am posting and it has me stoked...

My gas tank has been leaking and i have been trying to find a tank for a few weeks now.. We had JB Welded mine just for a temp. fix and it helped alot but still leaking a little... So i have been looking over at CL Off and on and the other day i saw a add... It was for a in cap tank and a box full of dash stuff for $100... I needed the tank so i took a trip to go get it... Get there and no one is there but the wife and she tells me to take the box tank and the rest of the pile.. lol Well with everything in the box the tank and the "Rest of the pile"..

I ended up with

1. Gas tank (Very clean)
2. Headers (Also very nice few little dings... But ehh Lol)
3. 2 Full gauge Clusters with all work gauges
4. about 4 sets of seat belts and the covers
5. Stock seat brackets
6. Full set of window cranks and door handles (Pretty clean will need cleaned up though)
7. Glove box lid looks brand new
8. Intake
9. all kinds of chevy trim and bow ties (I dont need mine is a GMC .. O well)
10. Some parts to try to fix my out side door handle

And that was me only 1/2 threw all the stuff Lol cant wait to go home and start working now!
Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #21
T/C

Anyone know where i can get the head liner trim used for cheap? I just need one to paint black i don't care what shape it is in..

also looking for the trim for around the grill and a pass. side door handle..

Last edited by T/C; 06-01-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
T/C

Little bit of a update.. Alot has been done since i last posted.. I got burned out and almost sold the truck to buy a ls1 f-body... But started working on it again an back in to this truck... i have decided to put a built motor in it though... wanting something i can run at the track .. So going to start working on motor/tranny/susp and take a break on the inside and outside (Other then a little bit of body work i have planned)

Here are some pictures though.. Bed is done have wheels inside of the truck is done other then a bit of wiring, head liner and replacing the sliding window with a solid..

Really need to fix the drip rail... have a leak going to be doing that ASAP... have to check for rust in the corner of the front window... so may be doing some work on that soon too..

Here is the bed... Not at all near perfect.. But way better then i was.. made from some ply wood and 14ga alum diamond plate and a few cans of spray paint (Until i get all the glue off of the bed and get the roll pan and everything worked out)

and a overall shot... Think she is coming around petty good

Last edited by T/C; 06-01-2010 at 04:58 PM.