The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Neal Molder
The Black Pearl

Stainless Steel bolts vs. regular grade 8

How many you guys have used stainless steel ARP grade bolts? If so how did look. Did you like working with them? I'm thinking about using them on everything.
Neal Molder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
1968SWBBigBlock

Re: Stainless Steel bolts vs. regular grade 8

Not all stainless bolts are created equal.
Arp uses a special hardened alloy for thier and they are over kill for most everything.
ARP makes a great product.
Most of the bolts that we use are not nor do they need to be grade 8.
Grade 8 is normally reserved for shock bolts, leaf spring bolts, motor mounts, tranny to engine etc.
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I use grade 8 for almost everything (though I did get ARP for most of my motor that I am building right now).
Grade 8 doesn't rust, and is strong as all hell... why use something weaker? Every time I have a bolt break, or fall out, I replace it with grade 8.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
mclairmo

I used grade 8 from Napa or other sources for everything. I heard stainless is more brittle.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:12 AM   #5
cdowns

grade 8 bolts are mostly a waste of money and not needed in 99%of applicatiopns that they are used
i use marine grade stainless whenever whereever possible a little time with the buffer and they shine purtty/i buy in bulk at local nut and bolt shops
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

I generally use grade 8 on anything associated with drivetrain or undercarriage. All else I use grade 5. Tractor Supply Company (TSC) has been a good and affordable source for bolts and nuts. They have a fixed price per pound and you can mix or select whatever you want.

Quote:
i use marine grade stainless whenever whereever possible a little time with the buffer and they shine purtty/i buy in bulk at local nut and bolt shops
Do these resist rust any better in your experience. They would be great on my off road vehicles if they do.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolf9653 View Post
I generally use grade 8 on anything associated with drivetrain or undercarriage. All else I use grade 5. Tractor Supply Company (TSC) has been a good and affordable source for bolts and nuts. They have a fixed price per pound and you can mix or select whatever you want.

Do these resist rust any better in your experience. They would be great on my off road vehicles if they do.

no rust when used in longterm saltwater enviroment is what sold me on these many years ago

Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
no rust when used in longterm saltwater enviroment is what sold me on these many years ago
Sounds great. Thanks!

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
Grade 8 doesn't rust, and is strong as all hell... why use something weaker? Every time I have a bolt break, or fall out, I replace it with grade 8.

Other than a zinc plating to somewhat resist rust, there is no reason at all to think that the higher grade makes it any more rust proof.
That same zinc plating is available on nearly every grade of bolt, so a grade 8 is no better than a grade 5 in that respect or even a grade 2 for the matter.
Most guys only concern themselves over the bolt anyway.....they forget, or never knew, that they should be using grade 8 nuts and in most cases flat washers too.
The price starts to catch-up to you at that point. Hardened nuts are quite a bit more expensive and the hardened washers ever more yet.

The real issue here is "what you get for your money" and "what is this bolt really doing?"
Having a bolt that is "ten times" stronger than the item to which it is attached.....is overkill. ($$$) So what is the point? the bracket (or whatever) breaks before the bolt....what have you gained? nothing.
Do you need a grade 8 bolt threaded into an aluminum part?....no
Suspension parts like leaf spring mounts or 4-link mounts....sure, this is the place where a little more can't hurt.

You really have to be careful with stainless steel bolts/nuts. Generally you need some kind of lubricant to combat "galling/seizing". This can be a problem when assembling or dis-assembling.

BTW, a bolt that "fell out" was not because it wasn't strong enough...it just wasn't tight enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Neal Molder
The Black Pearl

Great thoughts guys !! I've read about the hole stainless thread galling thing. Which kind of worries me. If i use antiseize and correct torque, whats to say my bolts won't seize over time. My interest with stainless is purely for cosmetics and wow factor. I've heard that if you use a pure stainless steel bolt with a steel alloy nut, that thread galling is less likely to occur. If this is true won't the nut start rusting in few years. That kind of defeits the purpose doesn't it.
I guess i like to here from a experienced hotrod guy to learn from his blood sweat and tears. I mean do their pros outway the cons , when it comes to a show truck. Is it worth wiping a rewiping antiseize lubricant off everything? Is it worth the pain in the ass? and finally will i look at my undercarrage when its done and say. "Those are fasteners are cool!!!!"
Neal Molder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
cdowns

i've had no issues at all taking stainless hardware apart after 35-40years cant say the same about hardened steel tho// if anything i'll just put a thin coat of white grease on stainless during assembly

Last edited by cdowns; 09-26-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
nicolas72gmc

I would use grade 5 on pretty much everything except engine and drivetrain. The tensile strength between the two isn't that significant when you're talking grade 5 vs. grade 8 with tensile strengths of 120,000 psi vs. 150,000 psi respectively, what is the diff.? I seriously doubt you'll exceed the yield strength which is a little less for both grades if they are torqued properly (unless you're in a wreck or something like that, then it is not gonna matter anyway). The grade 5 will stretch a little more before it breaks and someone said it too I think, lubrication does help on some types of alloys but it changes the torq specs too. We had a big class about this at work, had a bolt expert from fastenal come in. We were talking about bolts 2" to 6" diameter though, but it is all relative. peace.

"Everyone has a plan, 'till they get punched in the mouth".........Mike Tyson

1968, GMC, SWB, Project
1972, GMC, LWB, Daily Driver, 383, headers, 2.5"/3" exhaust, 200r4, 3.5/5 ECE components.
1972, C/10, LWB, 350 vortec, th350

Last edited by nicolas72gmc; 09-26-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: change info
nicolas72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote