The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Glove box art

I've seen a lot of glove box doors chrome plated or pinstriped, but I haven't seen any application of racing decals since the 60's when it popular. So, I gave it a shot. The Fremont sticker has memories for me as I used to live about a mile from the strip. It was great laying in the pool during the summer listening to the fuelers run.

I'll probably replace the Autometer sticker with a vintage decal when I find something more interesting. If I get tired of the whole idea I can always strip them off and repaint the door.

markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
ampsyco

Re: Glove box art

i like that.

im collecting magnets to put all over the inside of mine. my wife just got me a hula girl magnet.

thats a good idea with the stickers.
ampsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
Northern lights

Markeb01, what have you got there for a gas pedal?
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Old School Kid
Rottenwood Garage Member..Yes!

On my glove box I also put stickers.. Not a fan of stickers on paint so I stuck them to thin magnet "paper" and cut them out... got a big sheet a while back... works great for those that have trouble commiting to placement.

My 65 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317013
My 51 (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...80#post3551880
Racetruck III (SOLD)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...72#post4254972

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

Gone to dark side for a while...1966 F100 in the stable
Old School Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern lights View Post
Markeb01, what have you got there for a gas pedal?
It's a Cal Custom gas pedal, attached to a heal pivot from a genuine Moon pedal, mounted on a stainless steel plate, which bolts to the floor through the original mounting holes. I originally tried to use a Moon pedal, but it has the raised edge on both sides, and the edge on the left side dangerously interfered with operating the brakes while driving.

Eelco also made a similar pedal with the raised edge only on the right side. The cosmetic difference is the Cal Custom has an indented pyramid waffle pattern, while the Moon and Eelco pedals have a protruding pyramid waffle pattern.

In the natural finish, these pedals start looking stained and crappy very quickly. To keep it looking like new, I sandblasted it, and painted with POR-15 "Sterling Silver" paint. It's almost pure aluminum and looks completely natural. When it gets cruddy a spritz of Windex and a toothbrush and it looks just like new again.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

Good looking Idea. just one ? What's all the toggles for?

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
slepysal

good old Baylands!!! thanks for the memmories !!! l dig the look

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 View Post
Good looking Idea. just one ? What's all the toggles for?
Regarding the 3 under the red safety covers - the one on the left is for an electric fast idle solenoid. I like being able to set the fast idle independent of the manual choke setting.

The one on the right is connected to a police car headlight wigwag flasher that powers a pair of yellow high intensity lights at the top of the rear stake pockets. We used to have to stop in the middle of a very dangerous blind curve to turn on the road to our house. After many near collisions I added the wigwags, and whenever we needed to stop/turn I'd flip those on along with the 4 way flashers and the back end lit up like an ambulance. It was very effective at keeping us from getting clobbered so I just left them in place after we moved.

The center switch is for the electric exhaust cutouts. That was the next project up before I had to take forced retirement. It may take a while, turns out it's a bit difficult convincing the wife how important cutouts are on retirement pay!

The simulated radio block off is actually a solid machined piece my son made, which holds the heater and fog lamp switches. The one on the left is for the fan, the center switch energizes an electrical vacuum switch that opens the hot water valve, allowing hot coolant into the heater. The toggle on the right operates the fog lights. It's a very functional setup and works much better than the original lever heater controls.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
Nailz
Shlong bed club

markeb01, im liking your vintage decals big time! Your whole interior is super cool. Heres my vintage decal and glovebox art all in one picture. Ansel Adams eat your heart out!
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Excellent. I love pinstriping, the pattern is great and just fills the area without overdoing. I lack the talent and flexibility to do it myself, but admire those that can.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Nailz
Shlong bed club

thanks markeb01, i wish i could say i did that. Not many pinstripers out there any more. I just tell my pinstriper, Manny Cisneros where i want it, and he knows what i like, subtle and not over done. Ive had many cars and motorcycles pinstrped. Heres my shovel head he did.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Beautiful ride. Must be nice to have that kind of talent available that shares the same vision.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Very cool decals and art work.
Here are some shots from Dino's crewcab.
(hope you don't mind Dino) But this guy has some serious skills.
Attached Images

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #14
akubovic
66 C20 Long Step

Im diggin' the chrome ebrake handle

1966 Chevrolet C20 Stepside 2WD LWB - Oshawa Built Truck
1972 AMC Matador 2dr
1998 Plymouth Breeze 2.4L
akubovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #15
19GMC63

beautiful interior markeb.

All I have is a moon magnet on my glovebox.
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 AM   #16
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I finally found an old 62-68 style Hurst sticker to replace the Autometer one. More in keeping with the time period I'm after. After 7 years of unsuccessfully searching Ebay for a decent set of original Cal Custom ball style dash knobs, I recently discovered SoCal Speed Shop is making a version they call the "shoebox" knob, similar to the ones found in 49 Fords. I also scored a couple of metalflake shift knobs. The blue one goes with the turn signal indicators, and the red one goes with the switch covers. I'm still planning to diamond tuft the firewall above the floor mat to cover the painted metal.

Last edited by markeb01; 10-31-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
Nailz
Shlong bed club

just when i thought your interior couldn't get more cool, it does! Hurst sticker is a nice touch and i dig the red and blue contrasts. How big is your steering wheel? Im trying to find a white one like that but not having much luck. Mooneyes is sold out!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #18
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Mine is a 14.5" Covico. I'm sorry I didn't know you wanted one, an opportunity of a lifetime just came and went recently. There was a mint condition white Covico wheel on Ebay. It's the only one I've seen in 7 years of searching. I almost bought it myself just to hang on the wall. In the pictures the bell is incorrectly placed on top of the wheel under the horn button, but it was cherry.

URL=http://img20.imageshack.us/i/white02.jpg/][/URL]
URL=http://img687.imageshack.us/i/white01.jpg/][/URL]

Covico wheels started out as a boat accessory in the early 60's, and soon became a must have accessory in every car in high school, along with a Moon pedal and Sun tach. Early wheels were almost always white, since they were intended to reside in a boat. Later (by 1962) there were available solid, metalflake and candy colors. They were so popular, the Grant and Superior versions quickly hit the market.

The Grant and Superior wheels had a deeper 4 1/2" dish, (Covico is about 2 3/8") and the spokes were unevenly spaced, and they soon became more popular because they fit better in later model cars when replacing deeper dish factory wheels. The standard Covico wheel has evenly spaced spokes, making it difficult to know when it's pointing straight ahead unless the car is moving.

All brands of these wheels were very inexpensive, and the chrome was very thin when new making it difficult to find a nice one today.

The best one I ever bought was a NOS 15" flat version, but I didn't like the way it looked in my truck.

Good luck, they do turn up now and then it just takes vigilance.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 AM   #19
Nailz
Shlong bed club

That Covico wheel is awesome! I almost cried when you mentioned there was one on e-bay recently. Out of curiousity, what did it sell for?
I dont know why Mooneyes isnt going to have anymore, they seem really popular in white.
Thanks for the insight...
~Nailz
Old 11-01-2009, 02:42 AM   #20
816allen

Man i love that green pinstripes and i also love the stripes on the glove box Nailz super clean man!!!
I have a web on mine and a lil piece under the lock but its not on any of your levels! Mine was done by a beginner because i didn't have much money to put out or want to on this old truck yet because I'm still unsure what colors i will use in the end...
72 C10 Sold
87 Short Bed Lowered Daily Driver
http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt314/sswagon/
http://www.chevygmcofkc.org/forums/forum.php

Last edited by 816allen; 11-01-2009 at 02:45 AM.
816allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #21
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Out of curiousity, what did it sell for?~Nailz
I think it went for under $120.00. I was surprised it went that cheap, being so rare and in such good condition. I checked this morning and see they also recently sold a white Grant wheel for $220, and a white Superior wheel for $200. I guess it pays to check frequently.

For search terms I include Covico, Superior, Grant, gasser, vintage, hot rod, in various combinations. Most of the time the person selling the wheel doesn't know what it is, so you need to take a wide sweep, and Covico wheels do not have brand markings. I think the one in my truck was listed as "nice hot rod wheel".

Also beware when the seller doesn't show good pictures, and says "some pits should polish right out". If the chrome is gone enough to rust the steel they won't polish right out, or the seller would have already done it.

The only version most people list accurately in the title is the "Milner" wheel. It's distinctive having odd hole sizing, instead of each spoke having increasingly larger holes starting at the hub, the middle hole is very small, and the spokes are not evenly spaced around the rim. It can be seen in the gas station scene of American Grafitti.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
Sicboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I think it went for under $120.00. I was surprised it went that cheap, being so rare and in such good condition. I checked this morning and see they also recently sold a white Grant wheel for $220, and a white Superior wheel for $200. I guess it pays to check frequently.

For search terms I include Covico, Superior, Grant, gasser, vintage, hot rod, in various combinations. Most of the time the person selling the wheel doesn't know what it is, so you need to take a wide sweep, and Covico wheels do not have brand markings. I think the one in my truck was listed as "nice hot rod wheel".

Also beware when the seller doesn't show good pictures, and says "some pits should polish right out". If the chrome is gone enough to rust the steel they won't polish right out, or the seller would have already done it.

The only version most people list accurately in the title is the "Milner" wheel. It's distinctive having odd hole sizing, instead of each spoke having increasingly larger holes starting at the hub, the middle hole is very small, and the spokes are not evenly spaced around the rim. It can be seen in the gas station scene of American Grafitti.
You've got pm.

Project build (2): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=370985

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...Wow, What a Ride!”
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #23
bigoletruck

Quote:
Regarding the 3 under the red safety covers - the one on the left is for an electric fast idle solenoid. I like being able to set the fast idle independent of the manual choke setting.

if you dont mind soo we dont clog up the thread with chit chat,could you send me a pm on how those work and how to set one up. I need something like this and not really sure where to get one or how they work or are set up for that matter.
-'85 s10 sleeper *sold*
-'69 c10 show truck/trophy whore
-'59 apache olds 455
-85 720 bagged shaved out of control *sold*
-'83 gmc high sierra

Last edited by bigoletruck; 11-01-2009 at 07:36 PM.
bigoletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #24
Dinos63
chevy only

few more of mine
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #25
Dinos63
chevy only

Quote:
Thanks guys. I finally found an old 62-68 style Hurst sticker to replace the Autometer one. More in keeping with the time period I'm after. After 7 years of unsuccessfully searching Ebay for a decent set of original Cal Custom ball style dash knobs, I recently discovered SoCal Speed Shop is making a version they call the "shoebox" knob, similar to the ones found in 49 Fords. I also scored a couple of metalflake shift knobs. The blue one goes with the turn signal indicators, and the red one goes with the switch covers. I'm still planning to diamond tuft the firewall above the floor mat to cover the painted metal.

very cool