The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2003, 07:54 PM   #1
Jason Spears

IAC valve??

I think my IAC valve is not working correctly on my truck ('87 GMC 4x4, 305 TBI) but I'm not quite sure. When I start the truck cold it idles fast for about 45 seconds like it is supposed to and then slows down. I'm pretty sure this is normal operation. After driveing and I put the truck in park the engine starts to idle really fast. (Sorry, no tach yet, I bought one last week end but its been way too cold outside to hook it up.) If the IAC was shot why would the truck slow down after a cold start? Could this be a bad coolant temp sensor? I want to figure this out before I start buying parts. The temp sensor is $32 and the IAC valve is $92 from GM. Thanks for the help.

Jason
Jason Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:28 PM   #2
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

could possibly be a vacuum leak that only comes out when the engine warms up, maybe the throttle isnt returning all the way to idle, could be IAC motor.. last time I diagnosed the IAC, I did this:

start the truck and let it come down to the "slow" idle after 45 seconds or whatever.. then unplug the harness from the IAC motor and drive around and see if the fast idle comes back.

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:36 PM   #3
87gmc
I Got My Engine!!!!!

DO NOT BUY THE IACV!!!!! That is not your problem. i have the same problem. I replaced that thinking that that was the problem. But its not that i am still at a wonder to find out what it is. I have gone through everything and reaplaced it. EGR and all off the emissions stuff. Checked and no vaccuum leak. But dont buy the iacv becasue that not your problem.
1987 GMC HIGH SIERRA LWB 1500

32X11.50
383 TBI/Vortec Heads/Intake
MSD Ignition
Dual Exhaust
Custom Pinstriping
Sweet interior & stereo
http://www.cgalvin29.freehomepage.com
87gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I don't know, since I'm not a TBI expert, but, why not pull the codes and see what they say?

May be a start.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 11:21 PM   #5
Jason Spears

Thanks for the suggestions. I recently checked for fault codes and found a fault with the egr system so I replaced the valve and the solenoid. There have been no fault codes since but I still have the problem.

I think I'm going to try replacing the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat first to make sure the the engine is running at the right temperature. Then if that doesn't work I'll replace the IAC and the gastket between the throttle body and the manifold.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason Spears is offline   Reply With Quote