The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
XtremeBowtie

86 C10 in the Works, Porterbuilt Questions...

Let me say, I have lurked on the forum for a couple of years, researching and gathering GREAT info.

Story so far: The truck is an 86 2 wheel drive, short bed. I intend to install Porterbuilt dropmembers front and rear. Plan on laying rockers after I cut / roll the pinch weld. I am torn between running 22's all around or going with a 20/22 combo. But before I get too carried away, I have a few questions:

1: When it comes to being able to lay flat on the rocker panels, is there a body drop needed after installing Porterbuilts dropmembers front and back, or does the body of the truck sit lower than the frame rails? (don't have access to truck so I can't see for myself).

2: I've seen trucks on here running 20's or 22's up front but most of them have the heater box out and smoothed the firewall. I have also seen the term 86'ing. Is the AC / heater box different on 86-87 trucks? If so, is it safe to assume I could run the factory AC with such a large diameter tire?

3: With Porterbuilt's front dropmember, can I run different A-arms other than ART's? I would like to run Suicide Doors or Porterbuilt's arms. Nothing against ART, but the ART arms I have on my bagged S-10 pop and creak like crazy! I've greased and greased, but it only helps temporarily. Plus I like the design of the crosshafts better than ART's. SD / Porter crosshaft ends are tapped while ART's are threaded requiring a jam nut (which constantly needs to be tightened).

I know it's annoying to read all these questions, but any advise is greatly appreciated. I've researched for a while, but I've not benn able to find complete answers.

Thanks for the help!
XtremeBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: 86 C10 in the Works, Porterbuilt Questions...

I am in no way the expert on this subject, but here goes what I know

Dont remember on 73-87s but Im pretty sure you would still need a body drop to lay rocker (could be wrong)

As for the HVAC, I dont really know, cuz Ive never lowered a square body that much, but I have a feeling since its on the outside of the firewall, you're gonna have to shave it

And from what I have read I believe you can use just about any control arms on a PB DM even stock ones

But if you PM them, they can tell you all the specs you need

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 09-29-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Call Nate Porter at Porterbuilt Street Rods,... or PM him on here.
He can answer all your questions.

Super nice guy. He will call you and talk to you in person about all your concerns.

His number is:
480-326-6303

http://porterbuiltstreetrods.com/

And,... go with the PB a-arms. You won't be sorry.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 09-29-2009 at 07:59 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
PBFAB.COM

I will answer all your questions a little later on this evening!

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Ronm909
67GMC Slammed

Nathan is a super cool guy, he will spend alot of time on the phone with you for the most simple of things and answer all your questions.
Ronm909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeBowtie View Post
Let me say, I have lurked on the forum for a couple of years, researching and gathering GREAT info.

Story so far: The truck is an 86 2 wheel drive, short bed. I intend to install Porterbuilt dropmembers front and rear. Plan on laying rockers after I cut / roll the pinch weld. I am torn between running 22's all around or going with a 20/22 combo. But before I get too carried away, I have a few questions:

Thanks for the help!
1: When it comes to being able to lay flat on the rocker panels, is there a body drop needed after installing Porterbuilts dropmembers front and back, or does the body of the truck sit lower than the frame rails? (don't have access to truck so I can't see for myself).

The Dropmembers will get the frame-rails to the pavement, but the pinch-weld will still be between .5" and 1" from the ground (usually depends on how new the body mounts are). So, if you want to lay the rockers on the ground, a body drop is in your future.

2: I've seen trucks on here running 20's or 22's up front but most of them have the heater box out and smoothed the firewall. I have also seen the term 86'ing. Is the AC / heater box different on 86-87 trucks? If so, is it safe to assume I could run the factory AC with such a large diameter tire?

The term "86'ing" means "to remove". (I had never heard the term until I started making friends in Texas ). If you're laying frame and running a 27" tall tire up front, then you have to do something different with the blower motor. The tire will contact it. The rest of the A/C box on the firewall could stay. Most guys remove them and go with an underdash unit. If you're going to run a 22" wheel up front and or body drop the truck... you have no choice but to remove the firewall mounted A/C parts.

3: With Porterbuilt's front dropmember, can I run different A-arms other than ART's? I would like to run Suicide Doors or Porterbuilt's arms. Nothing against ART, but the ART arms I have on my bagged S-10 pop and creak like crazy! I've greased and greased, but it only helps temporarily. Plus I like the design of the crosshafts better than ART's. SD / Porter crosshaft ends are tapped while ART's are threaded requiring a jam nut (which constantly needs to be tightened).

The obvious choice of control arms are the PB arms! Our bushings will never make noise... they are a machined delrin. No pressing to worry about either. The new Dropmember also has a revised lower control arm mount:

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
XtremeBowtie

I truly appreciate the great info.

Porterbuilt, your arms look sweet! I love the idea of the delrin bushings. BTW, after seeing many of your posts thru the years, it's easy to figure out the way you conduct your business. That alone has sold me on buying Porterbuilt products (not to mention the beautiful welds).

Anyways, I have a couple of questions concerning a bodydrop:

If I want to drop the body 1" or so, can I just lower all the body mounts on the frame rails and lower the frame horns at the front of the truck? I'm not sure how much room there is between the top of the frame and the floorboard of the truck.

I have also read that another option is to cut the bottom of the frame rails to make the frame profile smaller, essentially getting the same results without doing an actual bodydrop. This idea seemed like a stretch, but I wanted to throw that out there to get some feedback.

Thanks yet again!

My 63 Double Dropmember Build "Project Sub-Zero": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...42#post5050342

Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You can lower the body mounts to gain about 1" of drop. You can also section the bottom of the frame under the cab. This won't gain anything until you get the rest done.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Kontrol Phreaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
That should buff out Nate when you get your next manicure ?
Old 10-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
baggedcten
86 C10

^^^funny LOL
baggedcten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
XtremeBowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
You can lower the body mounts to gain about 1" of drop. You can also section the bottom of the frame under the cab. This won't gain anything until you get the rest done.
Thanks for the info. Lowering the body mounts and sectioning the frame seems like the easiest route to go. Making a new transmission hump won't be an issue at all. Will I have to make a driveshaft tunnel as well?

My 63 Double Dropmember Build "Project Sub-Zero": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...42#post5050342