The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
bubba35741

More photos, need advice....

I ask in another thread about a blazer I am looking at several hours away with saddle tanks and got some good info. The owner says it is a 100% original (outside repainted) low mileage western truck with NO rust. I have more photos now and would like for yall to tell me what you think? I have been around trucks of this era but never seen a blazer up close. Guy seems very honest and I love this truck....so would like an opinion from someone without stars in his eyes! Thanks

bubba35741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Thealien

Re: More photos, need advice....

Looks nice but pics like that can be soo decieving!

Need to check the floors by the kick panel, rockers, front and rear pillars, windshield frame, and rocker boxes.

From the pics it looks nice but as many of us have found out even seeing these in person you can miss things.

How much is he asking?
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
packers05

Rust free no way I can see that in the bad pics, I would question this persons judgement!!! Plan on some metal replacement ,none of it is easy on a blazer and everything you fix must be done right and stuctually sound or you will know the first time the top is off!! I say look at all of the rust repair on this forum and you will get an idea of what to look for and not all of it is easy to spot, like windshield frame a and b pillars and the like. dont pay too much for a starting point unless she has a lot going for it(not much rust).
packers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
bubba35741

Started out at 15,000 OBO. Here is the outside.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
budder71

if the truck is close to what the owner says it is he is not far off... how many miles are on the Blazer ?
budder71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
budder71

If the miles are low and it is in very good mechanical/running condition I say it is a steal/deal at $10 to $12,000.00.... I bought a 71 GMC JIMMY in Alabama with 53K actual miles with close to the same bells/whistles and it did have some minor rust in the usual areas for $9500.00...
budder71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
bubba35741

Quote:
Originally Posted by budder71 View Post
if the truck is close to what the owner says it is he is not far off... how many miles are on the Blazer ?
Shows around 66,000. Owner says not sure if original but thanks so. He has receipts since early 80's. He says every thing works and runs and drives good and has been always garaged. Very original even has OEM radio that works. The SPID shows the Highland package and all other options. The seats look like new and I would think they would be hard to find. I can probably buy for $12,000. Saddle tanks are a problem. Torsion boxes removed. Current owner has never drove with out top and has owned since 1991.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba35741 View Post
Shows around 66,000. Owner says not sure if original but thanks so. He has receipts since early 80's. He says every thing works and runs and drives good and has been always garaged. Very original even has OEM radio that works. The SPID shows the Highland package and all other options. The seats look like new and I would think they would be hard to find. I can probably buy for $12,000. Saddle tanks are a problem. Torsion boxes removed. Current owner has never drove with out top and has owned since 1991.
WHY? Serious red flag right here for the money he is asking?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
bubba35741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
WHY? Serious red flag right here for the money he is asking?
Sorry but I don't know how to link....See the thread from today "Need opinions". Saddle tanks were the rage in the 70's....
Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Saddle tanks are a problem. Torsion boxes removed. Current owner has never drove with out top and has owned since 1991.
THAT IS VERY SCARY TO ME! If you don't have any torsion boxes, you would NEVER be able to remove the top.

I do have a soft spot in my heart for Highlanders, so that is cool, but the torsion boxes are big issue to me. Just my $0.02

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
truckster

First of all, I don't believe there's a Blazer anywhere without rust unless it's been repaired. Mine spent all of its life in bone-dry Arizona and it still has a small amount of rust. From what I can see in the poor-quality pics I would say it has some considerable rust.

I would say figure out what you're willing to pay to own the Blazer including what it's likely to cost to fix the rust, and then you can use the board to to help you figure out what it's likely to cost you once you see how bad the rust actually is.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
bubba35741

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
First of all, I don't believe there's a Blazer anywhere without rust unless it's been repaired. Mine spent all of its life in bone-dry Arizona and it still has a small amount of rust. From what I can see in the poor-quality pics I would say it has some considerable rust.

I would say figure out what you're willing to pay to own the Blazer including what it's likely to cost to fix the rust, and then you can use the board to to help you figure out what it's likely to cost you once you see how bad the rust actually is.
Fair enough guys....I have worked on my share of regular trucks in this body style but no blazers. I am from down south and if you can't see the ground through the floors you are doing good. I thought rockers were an option. I think the truck looks pretty solid but it is not very close so I wanted other opinions. I like them original and down here people like to.....well ...customize them. Thanks......
Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 AM   #13
vtblazer

Quote:
The owner says it is a 100% original (outside repainted) low mileage western truck with NO rust.

He may think he's being honest but truth is, he's also trying to sell you his blazer.

Once you pull off the top, those doors aren't going to close right ever again.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
He may think he's being honest but truth is, he's also trying to sell you his blazer.

Once you pull off the top, those doors aren't going to close right ever again.
I agree, and why would someone remove the rocker/torsion boxes unless they were rusted out? I guess that's one way to advertise no rust...just cut it out.
But it does look very nice, just be careful and look it over good.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #15
bubba35741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman63 View Post
I agree, and why would someone remove the rocker/torsion boxes unless they were rusted out? I guess that's one way to advertise no rust...just cut it out.
But it does look very nice, just be careful and look it over good.
Your advice has really helped me. Just to take up for the current owner here is the pictures from the other post as to why they were removed.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #16
Thealien

Removing the boxes for gas tanks killed that truck!!

IMHO it is a $7-9000 truck because of it.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #17
lks dcvn

I wouldn't buy anything for that much that had structural pieces removed (like the rocker/torsion boxes) -

That is one the first things I check - 2nd is the windshield frame

Does he still have the boxes since he removed them? You could always have them welded back in - but that will cost some $ on top of the purchase price.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #18
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman63 View Post

Judging by the rest of the blazer, there's no way the torsion boxes were rusted away.

They were removed in order to make room for the saddle tanks, stupid thing to do but whoever owned it at the time decided (or just didn't know any better) to opt for the ability to carry more fuel.

Should be fine if the top is left intact, super nice blazer IMO.

I'd work on the asking price a bit though...

Last edited by vtblazer; 09-30-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Time to either find a boardmember who can go do a detailed inspection for you, or hit the highway and inspect yourself. Looks awful nice to me, the pics don't scare me but do show the need for a good inspection. Torsion boxes being removed can be remedied and as mentioned, that can help with the price issue as they are very important to have. Good luck.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #20
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Time to either find a boardmember who can go do a detailed inspection for you, or hit the highway and inspect yourself. Looks awful nice to me, the pics don't scare me but do show the need for a good inspection. Torsion boxes being removed can be remedied and as mentioned, that can help with the price issue as they are very important to have. Good luck.
Said better than I could!! I agree 100%
Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #21
vtblazer

Quote:
Torsion boxes being removed can be remedied

Exactly!

For the right price I'd be happy to buy it, then pull the tanks, replace the torsion boxes and be the proud new owner of a really sweet high optioned blazer.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #22
Thealien

Quote:
Exactly!

For the right price I'd be happy to buy it, then pull the tanks, replace the torsion boxes and be the proud new owner of a really sweet high optioned blazer.
What that "right price" is, that is the question!! I am sure the buyer and seller have varying opinions!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #23
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:
Judging by the rest of the blazer, there's no way the torsion boxes were rusted away.

They were removed in order to make room for the saddle tanks, stupid thing to do but whoever owned it at the time decided (or just didn't know any better) to opt for the ability to carry more fuel.

Should be fine if the top is left intact, super nice blazer IMO.

I'd work on the asking price a bit though...
I thought it was kind of weird that they would be rusted out, but until I saw the pics, had no clue why someone would cut them out. That's just plain crazy. IMO

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09

Last edited by Chevyman63; 09-30-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
fun in dirt

Quote:
Well i agree with this too.
Where is the truck?
Maybe someone here lives close to the seller & can go look for you & take more detailed pic of that area.
'06 Silverado SS...DD
'06 C1500 WT...DD
'07 Classic C1500 WT...DD
Built & sold cause can't keep 'em all:
'72 Blazer "The Bucket" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433190
'55 Chevy straight axle gasser https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173938
'69 Pro Street Chevelle http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332541
'86 M1031 CUCV http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=553619
fun in dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
pound41

Your Alabama location threw me off. I thought about going and looking at that blazer but the saddle tanks and their openings in the 1/4 panels made me not. I am a high school football coach so time is very short for me these days. But I own a 70 and 71 blazer and have owned a few 72's so I know them very well. If I could find the time I would look it over for you. Sterling is about 40 min to 1hr for me depending on how far out. Also I would go in the 12k range. There was a beautiful blazer in Fredricksburg that was on Craigslist with that one. It wasn't as original I don't think. But very comparable to VTs old Green Blazer and it was 11k -12k on ebay and he was asking 14k
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote