The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Exhuast routing question?

I would like to have my exhuast go from the Y pipe into the converter (at the original location) then right into a muffler, then have it exit right before the driver tire (only on the driver side).

Does anyone have it this way now?
I think I should keep that cat in the stock position to make it work correctly, right?
How far away does the muffler need to be from the cat?
If its too close to the cat will one of thm get damaged?

Just so you understand right after the muffler I want to get a turn down pipe and point it out, instead of down. It should still be reachable by emissions testing personal. And should cost alot less then running duals.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:37 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

it will sound like crap right behind your head. I would put the muffler as far as I could from the cat, because of the heat these things put off. A freeflow cat will kill a muffler in a hurry. I know this for sure. I completely totated a Dynomax Super Turbo.

I would run at least a single in, dual out muffler and exit at the back. What I did was use a Flowmaster y-collector and ran off the cat with dual 2.5" pipes to the back with two Hooker Aerochambers.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 02:48 PM   #3
PHOENIX

not what I wanted to hear Mike So the cat will hurt my muffler if its like stock right? How bad does it sound? I cant picture it sounded too bad, but I really dont know. How close is too close for the muffler to cat?

Can you post a few pictures of your setup from underneath?

What if I had the pipe or pipes come out behind the tire, how would that be for sound? Any better? or does the placement of the muffler play a huge role in sound? What makes a bigger difference the placement of the muffler or the pipe exit placement?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
Tom
driving is in my blood

Eddie, I have ramhorns into dual 2.5", with catco high flow 2.5" vertors going almost strait into 2.5" flow 40series, then exiting right before the rear wheels on each side. The mufflers are tilted to fit, which I need to fix before I lower it. Other then that, it is all a little compact but fits without problems. As long as you dont get a glasspack muffler you'll be fine. Ones like flowmaster have nothing to burn out.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:16 PM   #5
85Silverado

I'm running mine like he wanted....but i have no muffler....the pipe rotted right before the muffler and cracked in half so I cut it off and put two 2 1/2'' 45degree elbows together and dump it out right infront of the driver's side rear tire....it sounds alright (loud) but the resonance inside the cab is ludicrisly loud especially at WOT.......but at least you know i'm coming if your infront of me....or 4 blocks away for that matter...hehe

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

what Tom says is true, about the burning out. The Super Turbo are fiberglass lined and it toasted this fiberglass so bad it busted the seam where the muffler was joined together. I've never seen anything like it.

I would at least have 2 feet or so between the cat and muffler, more the better. As far as what it will sound like, it has the most to do with muffler type and pipe size.

What I have is my Edelbrock TES headers, with the y-pipe of course. The y-pipe comes with an adapter pipe to adapt it from 3" (what the main y-pipe ends with), to the 2-1/4" tailpipe, or stock cat size. So left the adapter off and had a piece of 3" pipe go to my 3" in/out cat. Cat is in stock location so the heat shield still protects my floor. On the exit end of the cat, I had the Flowmaster y-collector welded to the cat, in reverse. The y-collector is made to feed two pipes into one. I'm using it to feed one into two. The y-collector is 3" in, dual 2-1/2" out. So then I ran two 2-1/2" pipes over the axle out the back. One goes straight back, the other goes over the end of the driveshaft to the other side. Not enough room to have two pipes go back on one side.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:26 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

Man I hate it when he posts pictures. Just makes me relize how much more stuff I still have left to do to mine
Old 01-16-2003, 05:38 PM   #8
PHOENIX

So if I used a flowmaster I could do it the way I stated above?
What if I use and Aerochamber will the inside of that burn up?
The Aerochamber is a little cheaper then the Flowmaster and alot of guys on here seem to like them. I have not decided yet.
So will the aerochamber burn up?

Im trying to eliminate going over the axle. Not only to save money but so I have less back there.

Mike where do your pipes exit, right out the back? Thanks for posting the pictures I appreciate it alot.

Tom Im gonna need to check out your setup. When you coming by? Is your truck(s) running?
Old 01-16-2003, 06:45 PM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Man I hate it when he posts pictures. Just makes me relize how much more stuff I still have left to do to mine
It makes me wish I hit the lottery to wher I had the money and time to do mine.

Eddie- I also have pics here of the exhaust of mine not like Mike's though http://www/geocites.com/cjhicks1/exhaust.html

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:51 PM   #10
PHOENIX

Brandon:
I had some trouble getting your site to work. I had to refresh it a few times, then it worked. I like your exhuast, if I was gonna go with duals, I would do something similar to that. Does the X pipe ever interefere with your drive shaft?
Old 01-16-2003, 06:56 PM   #11
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

No not at all. It is behind the tranny tail and below it so it has no trouble at all.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 01-16-2003, 07:08 PM   #12
Tom
driving is in my blood

Eddie, your in luck. My truck is running and driving as of last night.
I still have to go home and tune it correctly, and attach the tranny to the crossmember, but it will get to the tire store for new tires tonight

By next week I should be able to come over.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:56 PM   #13
PHOENIX

Top Notch!
which one is running?

Brandon:
Can you tell me how much your entire exhuast system set you back? I dont plan to do it, because Im sure it will cost more, but I still like it and am interested.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #14
Tom
driving is in my blood

the white one foolio. Gots to get the daily driver going again before the toy.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:42 PM   #15
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally posted by PHOENIX
Brandon:
Can you tell me how much your entire exhuast system set you back? I dont plan to do it, because Im sure it will cost more, but I still like it and am interested.
The Flowmasters I got from Summit for $75? each, the X pipe was $30 off Ebay (new) and the rest with turndowns and labor was $125. A local shop did it here.

Old 01-19-2003, 08:32 PM   #16
Lester

Actually you do have a couple of low cost options here that might do just about what you described.

One is a little noisy than the other. I'll describe the quieter one as you really don't need all that noise right behind the cab.

Dynomax makes a version of the Super Turbo muffler called the HD Super Turbo. Its designed for BBC RV's with single exhaust that will not blow apart or rust out too quickly. These sell for about $60 and come in 2 and 2.5 31 to 35 inches long. They flow very well and are fairly quiet. You will need to take some measurements its tight under there from the cat back.

I have also used the Hemi Super Turbo with very good results in single exhaust setup like you descibed. It is designed to work with BBC, its cheaper, but a little throaty. Best for behind the wheel or under the bumper.

A 2.5 single exhaust with a high flow muffler will give you very good street performance at a very reasonable cost.

On an exhaust system this short you might get some popping at the tail pipe when you back off the throttle. This is unburned gas igniting in the pipe, a small resonator tip with fix this.

Just a thought, good luck.

Lester
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:04 PM   #17
85Silverado

Yep....I have it dumping out right infront of the driver's side tire with no muffler....definately some popping when backing off the throttle quickly....but it's not as bad as i thought it would of been....come friday this will probably be remedied tho.

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote