The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
sskinner73

Rusted firewall

I have a 72 Chevy long bed project that I am working on. I had the frame blasted and painted, all new suspension parts installed. The motor and tranny has been rebuilt and in. Now comes the fun part, the cab. There is severe rust in the firewall and other areas. I found and purchased replacement body parts for everthing except the firewall. I cannot find parts for it anywhere. Is there a way to fabricate metal to repair this? Does anyone have photos or examples?
thanks for any informaiton or photos.
sskinner73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: Rusted firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskinner73 View Post
I have a 72 Chevy long bed project that I am working on. I had the frame blasted and painted, all new suspension parts installed. The motor and tranny has been rebuilt and in. Now comes the fun part, the cab. There is severe rust in the firewall and other areas. I found and purchased replacement body parts for everthing except the firewall. I cannot find parts for it anywhere. Is there a way to fabricate metal to repair this? Does anyone have photos or examples?
thanks for any informaiton or photos.
If it were me, I would make my own patch panels or buy a crappy donor cab that has a good firewall and take what I need from it.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
shaneo2112RUSH

depending where the rust is, Tri Pro Automotive sells a firewall replacement but if its rust behind the firewall i would find a donor cab like sskinner73 said!! Thats what i had to do to mine!! got mine for $30 from a member on here!!

oh yea!!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
john
member #16

Welcome to the board. Keep an eye on the parts board, Quite a few cabs get parted for patches.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 AM   #5
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

from Lake County California! How are your rocker panels, cab corners, drip rail, cowl area and floor pans? If the answer is not good, look for a new cab.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote