The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
wazooz2424

Clutch not engaging???

My 69 C-10 has been sitting covered for about 8 months, until today. Last time i drove it, the tranny shifted fine and there were no issues with the clutch. today, I go to shift into reverse and it seems like the clutch isnt engaging. trying to go into reverse, i get grinding. trying to go into 1-3 does nothing, wont shift and no grinding. I adjusted the rod in and out with no changes in results, and the pedal is acting as normal.

the only thing i have changed since last time i drove it and today was the battery and fuel filter.

any ideas? this is frustrating, especially since i am trying to sell the truck. thanks in advance.

Last edited by wazooz2424; 10-04-2009 at 03:30 PM.
wazooz2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Shyguy

Re: Clutch not engaging???

This a common problem on some old tractors, as they set around the clutch rust together and won't release when the clutch peddled is pushed.

I have not had a problem like it on trucks or cars, but it could be the problem.

On tractors we tie the clutch peddle down and drag them around a while in gear, some times this breaks the clutch free.

On a truck you might be able to pry some from underneath at the bell housing, but I am not sure.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

If I understand you correctly, once the engine is started, you cannot get the truck into gear? If this is the case, I would assume that the clutch disc has rusted/stuck to the flywheel. What I do when I see a car/truck in this condition, is to start the engine and let it warm up in neutral. Get the truck pointed in a straight line with PLENTY of room from any other cars or anything you might run into. Put the truck in 2nd gear, without the engine running, and hold the clutch pedal down and start the truck. if the truck starts, start pumping the clutch pedal, and kind of crak the throttle a bit to make the truck jerk. This usually breaks the disc free from the flywheel, and away you go
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
wazooz2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
If I understand you correctly, once the engine is started, you cannot get the truck into gear? If this is the case, I would assume that the clutch disc has rusted/stuck to the flywheel. What I do when I see a car/truck in this condition, is to start the engine and let it warm up in neutral. Get the truck pointed in a straight line with PLENTY of room from any other cars or anything you might run into. Put the truck in 2nd gear, without the engine running, and hold the clutch pedal down and start the truck. if the truck starts, start pumping the clutch pedal, and kind of crak the throttle a bit to make the truck jerk. This usually breaks the disc free from the flywheel, and away you go
i will try this, thanks. is there anything that i should do to prevent this from happening again, or is just non preventable from sitting so long?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
wazooz2424

Talking Re: Clutch not engaging???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!! as soon as i cranked it in 2nd it broke free immediately.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 10-05-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
cparman
sharp as a marble

drive it more often!
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
cdowns

we used to take old cars with seized clutches and put the front bumper agasinst a big old oak tree and jam them into gear to break the clutch free// but that was with $10 cars and i was real young and pretty stupid
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote