The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Sarge261

Load Control

Hey guys newbie question here. I was looking to replace the brake lines on my truck and GMCPauls looks to have a nice prebent kit. I think I may have the load control...not sure. There is a lever looking part on the frame with a brake line going to it, and coming out of it and goes to the rear end.

Is this load control?

How do I know if it works and if it doesnt can it be eliminated?

Is there a real benefit to this system?

Whats its function?

Its an 85 K20 regular cab long box 4x4. Thanks for the help.

Sarge

Project THOR
Sarge261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Load Control

Sounds like it. If it's what I'm thinking of it's a rear proportioning valve.

Brake line pressure to the rear brakes is reduced with no load (to help prevent rear wheel skid) and when load is added (and the rear of the truck drops) it trips the prop valve open to provide full brake line pressure to the rear.

It's a primitive solution from before we had electronically controlled rear wheel anitlock brakes. I think it was really a "test beater" to help us with the loaded/unloaded portions of FMVSS 105 (federally mandated) brake testing and you could probably live in the real world without it. My truck does not have it.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 10-08-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Sarge261

Am I to assume that the brake line kits would account for the removal of this part. I think that it may not work cause I went to bleed the brakes and had a hard time getting fluid out of them. I was gonna replace the MC and booster too but was curious as to what that thing was...

Thanks much,

Andy

Project THOR
Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Sarge, where upstate?? I got my line kit from classic tube in Buffalo & I couldn't be more satisified. It's all stainless steel and looks just like factory. Even the "wire wrap" is stainless. Hardest part was the right front line because of all the other stuff that goes behind\over or under the front member and motor mount $300 and worth every penny. I'll be dead before those lines ever need attention again. Changed over to DOT 5 fluid at the same time with new calipers, master cyl and rear cyl's and height valve right from my local Chevy store. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Sarge261

I am in the Schenectady area. GMCPauls has the kit for 185.00, its stainless so I assume stainless is stainless. I am going to restore this truck and I am starting to gather my parts. He's got to work too though. Its the shop truck/plow truck too. My plan was to get the brake lines replaced, M/C, Booster, proportioning valve, done before I have to push snow. I dont need a break down when I need the truck. I used the classic tube kit for my 85 GN I restored and sold, it was a great kit but its 115 bucks more.

If you have any parts layin around or know of anyone who does shoot me a PM.

Sarge

Project THOR
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
87Bob

You may wish to look at someone like http://www.classictube.com/ as well.

Last edited by 87Bob; 10-09-2009 at 10:12 AM.
87Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Sarge, we should get togther or at least talk on the phone. I have a bunch of stuff here that could be used as well as the tools and some of the expertise to do what you are trying to do. give me a call at 518-581-1622 so we can talk. I'm up in Saratoga. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote