The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
The Magician

Question 12 Volt Conversion/Parts Questions/Help

Hi all. My pal got a 1950 GMC pick up as a project, super cheap, nice red paint, horrible nightmare wiring. I am suprised it ran and did not catch fire! The system appears to be the original 6 volt setup, but with the GM one-wire alternator on it. Yikes! Lots of cut, corroded, split wires, big cables and thick wires appear ok. What do you guys use when you convert yours over? Do we need to get a 12Volt headlight switch? 12V coil? Do the points and condensor for a 6V system work when 12V? How do you have the 1-wire Alt connected. Any one put modern relays on their elecrical system to help? I know we need to get a 12V battery, then what do I do about the starter? The foot pedal deal is busted and I don't know how this thing started up the first time, but it don't do anything now. Does anyone use the Ford Starter Relay/Soleniod set-up if going to Neg ground and 12Volt? Please help give us some direction. If this truck isnl't up and going soon, his ol lady is gonna have another fit. (lol) I have done some looking but don't seem to find the answers. you can email me at havocnoir@yahoo.com. Much thanks for all help!
The Magician is offline   Reply With Quote