The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

Flat Black Paint Questions

I have a friend that wants me to paint his 71 c-20 flat black, I also have a 82 Datsun 280zx that I would like to spray at the same time. I would like to shoot them in a semi gloss paint in stead of doing the cans of primer. I have done that in the past and would like these to hold out the rust a little better. I searched the forum achieves and found that many have had good results with HOT ROD FLATZ BLACK and I would like to go this route. Which leads me to my question. I have access to NAPA Auto parts Martin senior pant on the cheep. Is it possible to use a regular Urethane black and flatten it down to get the same effect? If so it could save me some good money. I will post the description of the HOT ROD FLATZ BLACK at the end of this post.

“I did after thousands of your requests, you asked for it, and now you've got it. KustomShop introduces Hot Rod Flatz, a pre-flattened ready to spray low-gloss color with the desired 30-degree satin primer appearance. There's no guessing with how much flattener to add; it's already added for you. Just mix at the 4-parts color to 1 part hardener to 1 part reducer ratio and you're ready to spray. Our new urethane system is easier to mix and spray, with much greater durability and chemical resistance. Our gallon kit produces 1 1/2 gallons of sprayable material.”
Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Flat Black Paint Questions

-
I think another option is the John Deere "Blitz Black". You might do a Google search on it. If memory serves me correctly it is a satin black that holds up very well.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
cokeb

If you want to use Martin Senour crossfire urethane enamel you will use CA268 flattener additive 2 parts ready to spray color to 1 part CA268 produces satin (20-35) 3 color to 1 CA268 semi-gloss (45-55)
we used this on my sons interior, not sure of the durability we are still in the reassembly stage.

Craig
cokeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
Hooligan71

I myself used the Walmart $0.96 a an flat black paint. painted my whole truck inside and out for $27.00 and its a lwb stepside. See it on the blog at the website below.
Garage Built and Keeping It That Way!!
Chop That Fer
Hooligan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

He's looking for a semi-gloss sheen. Not a purely flat black, near primer color.

Last edited by texanidiot25; 10-10-2009 at 02:37 AM.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The John Deere Blitzblack is a good product. At my local dealer, it's 33 bucks a gallon. It's Valspar brand paint, the same thing as Tractor Supply sells for 29 a gallon under their semi-gloss black label if you want to save money. Buy the 14 dollar Tractor Supply hardener while you're there and it will give pretty good results. There are better products that you can use but for the money vs results, it's a very good avenue. It will look much better than aerosol cans and last very much longer too.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
DZL1
One day.....

Hey lts70, check this thread out:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366134

Maybe thats what your looking for.

DZL1.
DZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote