The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
ryansiki

Question Gmc vs chevy(cosmetic differences)

I was just wondering what are the cosmetic difference between GM and Chevy trucks(64 particularly).Also if I were to change the from one type to another would this cause any major problems when registering it.
ryansiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Stepside65
Still Truckless!

Re: Gmc vs chevy(cosmetic differences)

unless you know what to look for you can't really tell the difference. the turn lenses were shaped differently, the grills are entirely different, the GMC's typically had a v6 badge on the side of the hood, chevy's have a badge on the fender that doesn't exist on the gmc, the custom cab trim was different as well, and finally some of the two tone paint jobs were sprayed differently. Oh and the GMC's had the V6 big blocks. Other than that pretty much the same trucks
1997 Nissan Pickup Father-in-law's tonka toy I am forced to drive
Founder of The 60-66 Club

Tutor Et Ultor
Stepside65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
ryansiki

I am not concerned about badges and other little stuff,so the only real major difference is grill.right?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Besides the grille the main differences between Chevy and GMC are the hood, tailgate, dashboard, stainless cab trim on the deluxe models, engines & engine mounts, and rear axles.

I think you could cosmetically make the truck look like either a Chevy or GMC, so long as the vin matches the title. Even if it looked like a Chevy for example, if it really is a GMC that's what the title/registration will continue to show.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
ryansiki

OK, thanks for the info
Old 10-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Most GMC 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton trucks were factory-equipped with leaf packs in the rear and their Chevrolet counterparts were factory-equipped with coils/trailing arms.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Northern lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansiki View Post
I am not concerned about badges and other little stuff,so the only real major difference is grill.right?
The BIGGEST diff IMO is the dash. the dash itself cannot be changed (in practical terms) and nothing in the dash is interchangeable. All other cosmetic differences ,grill, trim, clearance lights, badges etc can be interchanged, although the lights require a hood change.
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Long n' Low GMC

what would be required in swapping a GMC grill for a Chevy?
Long n' Low GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Assuming the Chevy grill is attached to the truck via the headlight mounting brackets like the GMC, I think all you'd need to do is hold it in position, mark the hole locations and drill new mouting holes if needed. If you're going from 4 headlights to 2, you'd also need to change out the headlight harness. If the rest of the wiring is stock, you can buy the correct version from a number of suppliers, including the following link:
http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/d...to&exyear=1966
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern lights View Post
The BIGGEST diff IMO is the dash. the dash itself cannot be changed (in practical terms) and nothing in the dash is interchangeable. All other cosmetic differences ,grill, trim, clearance lights, badges etc can be interchanged, although the lights require a hood change.
By dash, you mean the gauge cluster or warning light cluster, correct? The actual steel dash, from "A" pillar to "A" pillar is interchangeable between Chevy/GMC of the same years, ie, '60-'63 Chevy truck dash interchanges with the '60-'63 GMC truck dash, the same for the 4-5-6.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
64krusty

the canadian GMC trucks have the same suspension,motor and rearends as the Chevys,no v6 for us.
Don't mess with your registration in BC,if ya want a GMC to look like a Chevy just change the grill and hood,and you could always cut out the dash and weld in a Chevy dash.
I`ve bought a couple over the years that were mixed up,mostly GMC`s that had Chev hoods.
64krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Northern lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
By dash, you mean the gauge cluster or warning light cluster, correct?
The actual steel dash, from "A" pillar to "A" pillar is interchangeable between Chevy/GMC of the same years, ie, '60-'63 Chevy truck dash interchanges with the '60-'63 GMC truck dash, the same for the 4-5-6.
Actually, I meant the steel dash from A pillar to A pillar. I know it CAN be changed but what I meant was that it wasn't practical to do for many/most people as it requires, of course gutting the dash then cutting out spot welds and welding in the other dash. Not something that everyone is equiped to do either tool wise or ambition wise. Not as simple as changeing the hood, grill or mouldings.
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote