The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
AusTx68

41 Days later and still no brakes!

Captain's log:

Day 1, Order Stainless Steel brake lines for 68 conversion.
Day 5, Lines arrive.
Day 7, Return lines due to wrong length. Order SWB and got LWB
Day 17, lines arrive. 10 days..dang
Day 20, Order Stainless Steel hose kit for 71-72
Day 30, Kit arrives with mis-matching ends on the hard line side and banjo bolts too big on the caliper side.
Day 32, Return hose ends
Day 41, Hose ends arrive but don't fit. Call O'Reilly's Auto Parts and find out they gave me the wrong calipers!! The original hose ends would have worked! SOB!!

Tomorrow I will call Inlinetube and return the hose ends in return for the ones they initially sent out. I expect another 8-10 days delay. I can't believe it's taken so damn long to lay these SS lines. Meanwhile my motor sits waiting for a piston cutter. Seems I spend more time waiting for parts than I do working on my truck!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: 41 Days later and still no brakes!

I don't know what it is, but I've found that I can rarely accomplish a job with a single trip. I don't care if it's car parts, sprinkler parts, faucet repair or what. Drives me nuts. Toss in the internet / out of town factor and you're looking at 41 days max.

I feel your pain, bro.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Rack Man

Your dealings with Inline Tube sounds just like the nightmare I had with them.....I would never spend five cents with them ever again....Nearly every piece of line I received from them was wrong....and the worst customer service I have ever dealt with....It took me about 8-weeks of dealing with them before I was done....and I still had to modify some stuff myself and even had to have custom soft lines made because the Inline Tube lines had the wrong fittings and then they told me the didn't even carry the correct ones?....AARGH!

RM

Last edited by Rack Man; 10-13-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Rack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

Oh man, your story is very much like mine. About the same time line as well.

My dealings with Inline tube were ok, but like you said their customer service is very lacking indeed.

In my case, I ordered two new E-brake cable assemblies for my rear drums.

Their catalog listed 67-68 K20 drum.
I order up two, and the shipping was expensive.
I get them, only to find out that they sent 11" drum cables.
Call em up, they argued with me that there was no such thing. They ask that I send back the new cables, along with my old ones to compare.
They all of a sudden are very interested in my set up.
Basically they learned something new about early K20 brakes, and offered to copy my originals. Gave me a estimated delivery of almost a week and a half.
I wait patiently for the delivery day, but instead of seeing the box on my doorstep I get a call.
More questions about my truck - like, What size engine, what kind of transmission, etc.
I call back and ask for the cat that has been taking my calls, and I lay into him saying WTF?! I am sitting here waiting, only for your guys to call and ask more stupid questions that have been asked twice over already.
I give him my upset complaint that their shipping is costing more than the darn parts now, and ask them to pay the shipping or give me a break or something... Nope, nada, no dice. Basically told, "you want them or what"? If you do then we need to charge you full price on the slow boat from China shipping.
What was I to do but pay it...

I finally got my parts more than a month later.

Sure the parts are nice, but the whole experience sucked and was costly to me.

Pretty sure I won't use them again in the future.

By the way, my brakes are still not done. Not because of inlinetube, just that I can't find a left side self adjuster arm for a 12" drum.

Last edited by vectorit; 10-13-2009 at 10:31 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
Your dealings with Inline Tube sounds just like the nightmare I had with them.....I would never spend five cents with them ever again....Nearly every piece of line I received from them was wrong....and the worst customer service I have ever dealt with....It took me about 8-weeks of dealing with them before I was done....and I still had to modify some stuff myself and even had to have custom soft lines made because the Inline Tube lines had the wrong fittings and then they told me the didn't even carry the correct ones?....AARGH!
RM
Yea, I forgot to mention that my front brake lines still need tweaking and my rear differential lines had to be reformed. The lines that run up to the prop valve now run outside the frame. Didn't look right so I called for verification. They guy that answered wasn't sure. Guess I have to make it work.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
GMC406
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
Seems I spend more time waiting for parts than I do working on my truck!
I hear you there, I just waited 5 months for the radiator for mine! Lots of mix ups here and there and delays, ect i guess you know the story. Finnaly get it and it wont fit in stock suports so I have to have a bracket made to hold it! Aww well got a 800 dollar radiator for 350 so worth the wait. Hope things line out for you as well, patience.....
71 GMC Street performer in the works
Waiting for warm weather
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341946
1990 GMC Sierra GT-sold
1983 chevy 4x4-project on hold maybe sell
1969 Triuph GT 6- sold
1996 Ford I-6 5 Speed 4x4
2004 Dodge Intrepid- milage maker
1959 Ford Fairlaine, factory a/c 292Yblock- sold
1982 Honda XL500R
Always lookin for other old trucks!
GMC406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Rack Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
Yea, I forgot to mention that my front brake lines still need tweaking and my rear differential lines had to be reformed. The lines that run up to the prop valve now run outside the frame. Didn't look right so I called for verification. They guy that answered wasn't sure. Guess I have to make it work.
Yea...the rear diff. lines were a joke....took me like 3 trys before I got the correct ones.....

Here's how I ran my lines....They ran on the outside of the frame originally on my 70 K-10.....
Old 10-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
69GMCLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
Yea...the rear diff. lines were a joke....took me like 3 trys before I got the correct ones.....

Here's how I ran my lines....They ran on the outside of the frame originally on my 70 K-10.....
There should be laws against the underpinnings of a truck being that CLEAN! Man, there isn't a speck of dust on that whole thing!
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
There should be laws against the underpinnings of a truck being that CLEAN! Man, there isn't a speck of dust on that whole thing!
I was thinking the same thing!! Nice Work!!

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

44 dollars from Snap-On

48.60 from Snap-On

Feel good about giving the brake line companies the finger and build your own. No waiting and you end up with a couple of great tools that will last you the rest of your life.

You can buy lengths of premade brake line at the store for about a buck a foot. They even come with new fittings on the end. You cut and reflare them to get the exact length you need. Bend as needed. Any other fittings you need are either at your local junkyard, can be reused from old lines, or ordered new from Goodridge.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 10-14-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote