The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
stevewhitmore

Drum Brake Squeal

I had a shop check the brakes on my 69 since I don't feel comfortable with something that important that I don't know much about, although I did look at them prior to the shop. They replaced the front hoses and adjusted them and said I had a good pedal so all was well. They do feel good and stop good but they squeal something terrible. The shop said if it is not driven regularly that will happen and is the nature of drum brakes.
They didn't replace the pads and I know the drums were scored a little and the pads appeared about half worn and one was cracked.
I can't stand the squealing, any suggestions?
I am ready to attempt replacement of the pads and maybe the drums, what do you guys think?
stevewhitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Drum Brake Squeal

It's not the nature of drum brakes it's the nature of the brake shoe. If it's contaminated or glazed over it may squeel. Also, if the brake shoes were of poor quality they will do that.

These days the shoes are not made of asbestos like the old days and manufacturers have to make do with what they can. Some add metallic particles usually made of softer metal like brass/bronze. If these particles are not dispersed evenly, you will have a grinding sound and maybe a squeeling sound.

My recommendation is to get a repair manual and learn a little about replacing the shoes and other minor repairs. With a few tools, it's really not that difficult to do. This will save you tons of money and there's nothing more satisfying than doing it yourself. At the very least, you will know what was done.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
cdowns

for a try at a quick easy fix you can try scuffing the brake shoes lightly with 80grit sandpaper to remove a builtup glaze
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Talking Re: Drum Brake Squeal

FUNNY ! in your first post you say that you took your truck to someone else for work on the brakes because you don't feel comfortable ?

the funny thing is I'm sitting here and have alway's felt just the opposite , I would NEVER let ANYONE work on my brake's BUT ME ! because I would not feel comfortable
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
hayhauler71

Any cracked shoes or pads should be discarded. If they are cracked means they were probably contaminated at onetime or over heated. Take it upon yourself and do the job right and learn as you go.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

Sounds to me they adjusted the shoes to tight, and as you drove home they heated up and glazed.

I'd take the wheel off while you have it on a jack stand, and spin the drum to see how free it spins.

If it can't spin on it's own, then the shoes are to tight.

You can adjust them down a smidge, but then the damage is already done. Though the squeal should fade away over time, but if it's really bad then I do the following.
Take the drums off and scuff the drum/shoe contact surfaces, then reassemble with a good adjustment to let the drums turn without binding on the shoes. (this all walking the fine line of - you go that far you might as well do it all with new parts, but if you are tight on cash like most of us out there then...)
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

There is another train of thought here. The guy at the brake shop told you that if their not used for awhile they'll squeal. The reason for that is you can get a light coating of rust on the inside surface of the drums which will cause the squealing. Years ago, I had a motorcycle had had a squealing rear drum. I pulled it and went over the drum's braking surface with steel wool. Problem solved.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote