The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
bitchin85

New trans

well i pretty much toasted my turbo 350. i found another one that looks real clean inside, changed the filter, and im going to swaap them out saturday. is there anything i should look out for? its my first trand swap in a chevy.. and before i had help. everything helps! thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: New trans

the absolute most important thing is to make sure the torque converter is fully seated and stays that way when you bolt the trans to the engine. Also if you didnt already get one make sure to use a new converter your old one is full of trash and wasted if your trans spewed its guts through it. when you put the converter on spin it and push it in you will feel it engage a few times. once the transmission is bolted up there should be about a 1/4 inch gap between the converter and the flywheel that you just slide the converter forward to bolt it up. other than that its pretty straight forward. make sure the kick down cable rod is attatched to the valve body before you put the pan back on you can also hook the cable up and bolt it down. Also make sure to put about a quart of fluid in the converter before installing it to prevent a dry start
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.

Last edited by cableguy0; 10-15-2009 at 09:19 PM.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
bitchin85

i have a used converter that came on the new trans. is there any way to tell if its bad or not?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
cableguy0

if it came with the good tranny i would just use it. not really any way to tell if its good without using it.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
bitchin85

welll i dont know for sure if its still good. i had a guy look the trans over and it was real clean inside and i put a new filter in it. the guy i got it from saidits good but he had no proof. the trans thats on my truck now just slips into third real bad and its hard goin into gear. should i use my old converter? orr....
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
truckfan

converters are cheap. $60-75 will keep you from having to pull it if its bad
Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
cableguy0

Do not use your old converter. its full of trash. you will just contaminate the new trans.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
bitchin85

im just a broke country boy from nowhere-ville lol im on a real tight budget on this.. like save as much as u can.. budget. maybe ill break down and buy one.. id like to see if the one i got works first..
Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
cableguy0

I wouldnt worry about using the one that came with the trans. If the trans is ok theres no reason the converter wont be fine
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
bitchin85

ok thanks. i know the basics about transmissions but not much.. at all..so excuse me if i ask a dumb question. whats the worst that could happen if that converter is "full of trash"?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
cableguy0

ruin the transmission by pumping all the clutch material and metal out of it. Everything that burned up in your old transmission clutch material,steels and rubbers, bushings etc all get suspended in the fluid which will carry them into the converter where they will end up sitting. all the trash and crap thats in the pan of your current transmission is also in the coverter. Just use the new tranny and converter together and you should be fine.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
bitchin85

i changed the filter on the new trans today and there was a little crap in the bottom of the pan but the filter was very clean. i hope it dont get screwed up
Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
cableguy0

what color was the fluid? a little bit of stuff in the pan is normal especially on an older trans. so long as the fluid wasnt Black and burnt probably nothing to worry about.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
bitchin85

there was little fluid in it because its been sitting for a couple years but the fluid was cherry red and the guy that checked it out actually tasted the fluid and he said it wasnt burnt.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #15
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Flush your transmission cooler and lines with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and compressed air.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
bitchin85

i went to swap out my trans today and after i got the old trans out, and the truck fell ontop of me and scared the s**t out of me, i realized that the guy i bought the new trans from not only gave me a torq convertor thats junk, it doesnt even fit the trans. the one that came off my truck had the lock-up torque thing on it and the new one didnt and aparently they use a different convertor. lesson learned. im going to have to get another one tomorow. yay..
Old 10-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #17
bitchin85

what is the differance between a trans with the lockout deal, and one without.. i need to know what to look for tomorow. thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #18
hillytim69

If the new trans is a non lock up type and the correct tailshaft length, it should swap in and work fine. If you have a lockup trans and a non lockup converter then you will need a new converter. Maybe the guy sold you an older non lockup transmission and converter.The older non lockup style won't have anyplace to plug in lock up solenoid wiring/connector but you won't need it. You will lose the lock up function and probably run 200-300 rpms higher at highway speed. Thats all.
hillytim69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
bitchin85

ok so i found a lockout trans for $150 exchange. im going tomorow to pick it up. i hope this one dont let me down.. and i hope i have no more near-death experiances haha
Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #20
bitchin85

well i got my new trans in. its out of a junk yard... i highly recomend not doing it alone, it probly is alot easier with help from a buddy lol. the only concern i have is that it seems like it takes a little longer then it should to shift.. what would make it do this? i think it has a little too much fluid, but not much, would this make it do this? thanks guys