The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
lt704

motor mounts

Hi everyone, great site. I have a 1968 chevy c10 p.u. It has a 350 engine in it ( engine code t1010ckl ) I need new motor mounts. My enhine is a 1973 350 do i order the mounts for a 1973 350 or do i order v8 mounts for a 1968 c10. any help would be appreciated.. thanks Russ
lt704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
bhoeger70

Re: motor mounts

go down to the local parts store order the 68 v8 mounts if they ask what engine is in it tell them it has a 350. A 350 didnt come in a 68 but the mounts are all the same (except some very early 265's if I am right).
Old 10-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

327?

Last edited by Sinister; 10-15-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

Just tell the parts guy it's a 327, and avoid all the counter top debate.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
sweet70beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Just tell the parts guy it's a 327, and avoid all the counter top debate.
I agree. I tried to get something for my old 72 GMC with a 402 and the guy argued with me that Chevy never made a 402 because his computer said 396. There's no point in spliting hairs because alot of parts people don't know much about old cars and trucks except what their computers tell them.
1968 Chevy Bel Air
1976 Chev C-10
1972 Skylark (suncoupe)
1 of 3943 made
sweet70beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

no one here is asking the right questions.
What kind of motor mounts does it have in it now? They all assume it has the original mounts in it, but the whole assembly may well have come out of the later truck.
Welcome to the forum!
If you can snap a pic or two if the mounts, and post them here in a couple days when the attachments is back up and working (new server being installed) then we can answer your Q and be 100% sure.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet70beast View Post
I agree. I tried to get something for my old 72 GMC with a 402 and the guy argued with me that Chevy never made a 402 because his computer said 396. There's no point in spliting hairs because alot of parts people don't know much about old cars and trucks except what their computers tell them.
Just tell them you have a 72 with a 350.
If you have HEI, and the ram horn exhaust manifolds, tell them you need the spark plug wires from a 75 Corvette.
You just have to know what vehicle to tell them it is to get what you want.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
no one here is asking the right questions.
What kind of motor mounts does it have in it now? They all assume it has the original mounts in it, but the whole assembly may well have come out of the later truck.
Welcome to the forum!
If you can snap a pic or two if the mounts, and post them here in a couple days when the attachments is back up and working (new server being installed) then we can answer your Q and be 100% sure.
Good point...
If it's the motor mounts out of the 73... tell them you have a 73.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
Old 10-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
Good point...
If it's the motor mounts out of the 73... tell them you have a 73.
Wrong again, look at your current mounts.....if they have a bolt that comes in from under the motor stand (bolt comes in at roughly a 45 degree angle), then you tell them you need mounts from a 67 with a 327....if the bolt through the mount goes in from the front or rear ( horizontally) then them you need the mounts for a 73 with a 350. The two look nothing a like should be easy to tell the differnce.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by westofb View Post
Wrong again, look at your current mounts.....if they have a bolt that comes in from under the motor stand (bolt comes in at roughly a 45 degree angle), then you tell them you need mounts from a 67 with a 327....if the bolt through the mount goes in from the front or rear ( horizontally) then them you need the mounts for a 73 with a 350. The two look nothing a like should be easy to tell the differnce.
How is that wrong? If the motor mounts ARE out of a 73... you tell the auto parts store that you have a 73...

IIOY???
Old 10-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Mercury694

It would be wrong because the casting of the SBC blocks didn't change between 67 and 73. The frames may have, especially if his engine was out of a full size car. I'd just take the originals in and compare them to the new.

One of the most irritating things about the proliferation of national auto parts chains is that the local guy that actually knew cars is out of business to be replaced by some teenage girl that knows how to operate a PC but can't get me a GM solenoid without knowing the year/model/make of my car.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
lt704

Russ here, Thanks for all the great replys, i will Take some pitcures and i will send in a couple of days when the server is up and running. This site is really a big help, I bought my 68 two years ago and am having a blast, i am learning as i go along , thanks again, Russ
Old 10-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Ok... so like... I wasn't talking about the block. I was talking about the motor mounts.
If, and when, he figures out what kind he has. When he goes to the store, he just tells the store that he has 19__ Chevy truck, filling the blank in with whatever year motor MOUNTS he has.

In Example.
I redid my alternator to be internally regulated instead of externally. I used the alternator out of an 87 silverado... so when I go to the parts store to replace my alternator, I don't tell them I have a 72 and then argue with them. I just tell them I have an 87 silverado.

IIOY???
Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Mercury694

Todd,

On many parts your system would work great, I do the same with my HEI distributor. But this application requires lt704 to connect 2 mismatched parts, a 68 pickup and a 73 block. Since the engine blocks didn't change between 68 and 73 and the frames may have, the safer bet is the 68 327 mounts (same 010 block as early 350CID). If he buys the 73 mounts, they would certainly bolt to the block, but may not hit the frame of the truck right.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You guys are really making the water muddy here.

Lets answer the question.

If you current engine mount has a long bolt through it front to back you need to ask for 73 model 350 mounts.

If you current mount has one bolt coming up through the underside of the frame bracket, ask for 68 327 mounts.

Period.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Wink Re: motor mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
How is that wrong? If the motor mounts ARE out of a 73... you tell the auto parts store that you have a 73...
Doesn't matter what year the motor or truck is, you need to know what kind of mounts (motor stands) are used in his truck. I described the motor mounts the best I could so he would know what kind he has. But you are right if he has 73 style that is what he needs to tell them, if it is 67 style he would tell them that.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
lt704

Hello everyone, Russ here, thanks for all the good info. I was at a cruise night the other night and i ran into a guy who has a 67 chevy c-10. I showed my truck to this guy, he works for nappa and he said i need to order mounts for a 1967, 327 engine. He said you folks were right about how the through bolts were posistioned. he called me the next day and gave nappas part number for the mounts. Thank you to all i have been reading all the posts here on this site and you folks are very knowledgable, thank you again, Russ