The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Libertad
No Nonsense

Carb question urgent help!

Well I just made a run to the "Pick a part" and got a new dash bezel, wiper motor and other various parts. I was excited to get home and put them on but needed to stop at auto parts store for a couple things.

When I came out my truck would not start. seems the carb got flooded (smelled like gas) so I let it sit for a while and tried again nothing. Opened the hood and took off air cleaner and sure enough fuel was coming out of jets. This is a 4 bbl edelbrock and truck runs great, idles perfectly and gets up with no hesitation and now this.

I have basic carb knowledge but I need to be pointed in the right direction. My truck is sitting in a parking lot with parts to get put on.

1975 C10
Old 10-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Carb question urgent help!

common problem with the edelbrock is the fuel boiling out of the bowl and it just dumps into the motor. could also be trash in the needle and seat allowing fuel to keep coming into the carb and overfilling the bowl causing it to dump out. i bet by the time you get back to it if its cooled off some it will start and run like nothing happened. while your in the auto parts store grab a 1 inch carb spacer to get the carb up off the intake some and that usually takes care of the issue with the edelbrocks.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
common problem with the edelbrock is the fuel boiling out of the bowl and it just dumps into the motor. could also be trash in the needle and seat allowing fuel to keep coming into the carb and overfilling the bowl causing it to dump out. i bet by the time you get back to it if its cooled off some it will start and run like nothing happened. while your in the auto parts store grab a 1 inch carb spacer to get the carb up off the intake some and that usually takes care of the issue with the edelbrocks.

Cableguy thanks for the advice I will get the 1" carb spacer and put it on when I get home. Will the spacer affect the tuning of the carb? This is the second time I have had this occur. The first time I was going on one of my routes for work and when I came back two days later it started up and ran fine. I sure hope this spacer takes care of it. If not is there any thing else I can do or is that pretty much it.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
cowboy5683

I second what Cable said..Prolly a lil heat soak..get that riser and if it does start get it home and get the hood up..an old trick is with the air cleaner off..rev up the motor by hand and take an old clean hand towel or rag and plug up the whole top of the carb for a sec or two..but dont let the motor die..Do this a couple times and it might dislodge anything in the carb that might be stuck.. creates a vacuum rush and slight starvation in the carb..Just dont let the rag get sucked in!..lol..If problems persist I would say rebuild time..By the way..I believe I know a couple of guys that used to be in yer MC.
cowboy5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
cableguy0

A holley would be the best fix for that carb but no theres nothing else you can do to fix it other than a spacer.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Libertad
No Nonsense

Thanks again
Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy5683 View Post
I second what Cable said..Prolly a lil heat soak..get that riser and if it does start get it home and get the hood up..an old trick is with the air cleaner off..rev up the motor by hand and take an old clean hand towel or rag and plug up the whole top of the carb for a sec or two..but dont let the motor die..Do this a couple times and it might dislodge anything in the carb that might be stuck.. creates a vacuum rush and slight starvation in the carb..Just dont let the rag get sucked in!..lol..If problems persist I would say rebuild time..By the way..I believe I know a couple of guys that used to be in yer MC.
Right on Cowboy I will also do the rag trick. This carb is not that old so I am hoping the spacer does it. Send me a pm with the names of those guys I may know them.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
cowboy5683

PM sent
Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Oilbrnr

Quote:
A Quadrajet would be the best fix for that carb but no theres nothing else you can do to fix it other than a spacer.
There, fixed.

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
cowboy5683

LOL..I agree..To each his own though..lol
Old 10-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
cableguy0

I'm not gonna talk sh!t about quads but for most people finding one in decent shape that isnt leaking past the shafts and has a good main body and base plate isnt kinda tough. once they are properly tuned they are hard to beat but its a ton easier to get a holley and be done with it.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
knockretard

I had this same problem with my Edelbrock 1406 carb. I am almost positive it is the carb becoming heat soaked. The aluminum body of the absorbs so much heat it's not funny. I added a 1" spacer also and it has never happened again. I noticed a little low-end power increase also.
knockretard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
cowboy5683

I hope ya didnt take the quadrajet comment in a bad way..i just personally love them..and you are right bout the probs they have initially from old age..I love holleys and carters also..Just a matter of taste.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
cableguy0

its all in good fun. i personally think edelbrocks are junk. quads are a good carb when tuned and in good working order. holleys are my preference but as you can see in my sig im running a proform. just a hopped up holley with all the goodies
Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
3r!c84
Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockretard View Post
I had this same problem with my Edelbrock 1406 carb. I am almost positive it is the carb becoming heat soaked. The aluminum body of the absorbs so much heat it's not funny. I added a 1" spacer also and it has never happened again. I noticed a little low-end power increase also.
ok correct me if i wrong

but by adding a spacer (moving the carb up) will not add lower end torque.
the shorter the intake runners the more lower end torque,the longer runners will add more top end power at higher rpm

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
cableguy0

spacers typically improve bottom end believe it or not. it give the air/fuel charge a chance to straight out before going into the intake. a 1 inch 4 hole spacer helps noticeably.a good trick when running a big intake such as a vic jr like i run is to use a 4 hole spacer to get back some of the bottom end lost with the big intake
Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #17
3r!c84
Badass

ok i was just thinking of a square spacer not a 4hole one

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #18
Libertad
No Nonsense

Well just wanted to update you guys on what happened. Truck was parked about a block from Kragens (O'reilys), so wife gave me a ride to Kragen to buy the 1" spacer.

They told me the universal one would work so off I go ready to fix this problem and head home to put on the rest of my goodies, the wife drops me off at the truck. I try to start it and....no go. I open the hood wave goodbye and commence to removing the carb.

Well I go to reach in my tool bucket to grab my allen wrenches and......damn I left them on the work bench! So off I go to Kragens one block there, one block back, bought a new set of allen sockets. Went back to the truck and damn the smallest socket was a tad bit big so back to Kragens.

Exchanged the set for the right one....back to the truck removed the carb and 1/2" in spacer and then I notice that the so called universal 1" spacer is not so universal (holes were way off).

Back to Kragen I go and getting more pissed off with each trip and now the sun is setting quick and I'm not parked under any lighting so I return the "universal" spacer and of course they dont have the one I need so I buy a couple of gaskets and head back to the truck. Get there and put the old spacer and new gaskets on throw the carb on tighten bolts get in truck and boom she starts right up.

Now I have her home in my garage and ready to find a 1" spacer this weekend at one of these so called parts stores. Hell, at least I got to watch the sunset.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:07 PM   #19
HookNBook81

I dont think its heat soak , you said you tried to start it after it had cooled and nothing ? then you took it off and put on a few base gaskets ? yea when you took it off you jarred the needle and seat free of any blockage...

when you hit the accelerator pump it has lil to do the needle and seat as a carb function , as you hit the accelerator the metering rods lift and let the fuel in the float bowl into the main jets through vacuum , the needle and seat control how much fuel is available in the bowl and how fast it can come from the fuel inlet line

Bet you had a plugged seat or a sticky needle , also depending on where you are and when you got the carb , a few years ago the needle edge was made of rubber , now with the introduction of ethanol its made of another material as rubber breaks down in ethanol after a while... I just rebuilt a quadrajet on mine and installed all ethanol resistant seals in place of the rubber

Might wanna call edelbrock and ask about that if you know you've been getting methanol gas ...you can add the spacer if ya want but i doubt it'll totally cure your issue

Last edited by HookNBook81; 10-16-2009 at 11:10 PM.
HookNBook81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
Libertad
No Nonsense

Ok still having problems with keeping the truck running. I may just take the carb off again and take it apart, clean it and possibly rebuild it. But have a few more questions.

1. Could this have anything to do with the HEI distributor?
2. Or how about the fuel pump?
3. Fuel Filter?
4. I can get it to idle but once I put it in reverse or drive it doesn't idle properly.
5. I am also hearing a slight pinging in carb when truck shuts off and it sounds like fuel is dripping.

I think I am just going to change all three of the above anyways but could my problems be because of any of those.

Getting frustrated because this truck has been running great until this occurred.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #21
cableguy0

could be a piece of trash in the needle and seat assembly not allowing them close which is causing the bowl to overfill and in turn causing it to leak fuel into the motor through the jets.Also the tip of the needle and seat could be coming apart bc of the alcohol in the new fuels.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #22
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
could be a piece of trash in the needle and seat assembly not allowing them close which is causing the bowl to overfill and in turn causing it to leak fuel into the motor through the jets.Also the tip of the needle and seat could be coming apart bc of the alcohol in the new fuels.

Ok so a rebuild should be done or at least a cleaning. I did the rag on top of the carb trick and it caused a vacuum the first time and when I tried it today it didnt even cause a vacuum it just kept on running the same as before I put the rag on it.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #23
cableguy0

i would at least replace the needle and seat assembly also need to make sure the float isnt sunk.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #24
Libertad
No Nonsense

Thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #25
cowboy5683

Sounds to me like yer running lean if ya heard a pinging noise..especially with no load on the motor and the rag trick not working..I would use some wd40 and spray around any place (carefully) that could be the source of a vacuum leak..If ya hear the idle clean up or smooth out when ya spray certain spots then ya know thats one of the places thats suckin in air and should be sealed..Yes HEI can cause rough runnin motor..Is yer vacuum advance hooked up to either ported or ful manifold?..personally I prefer full vacuum..and if so..Is yer base timing correct?..Good wires?..good coil?..cap ..rotor..plugs..etc..with ya adding a spacer..ya added another place for a possible vacuum leak on the new baseplate also.