The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
GMC Guy

Header/Exhaust recomendations

I'm thinking about running these headers back to 40 flows. a buddy of mine can weld so i was thinking of buying the pipe and having him weld it up to the collector and mufflers. this is about the most i want to spend on headers, so what do you guys think? any advice?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hedman/500/69890/10002/-1
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
ont_guy_38

Re: Header/Exhaust recomendations

Those are the same headers i have but I have not installed them yet,just wanted you to know the piping needs some bending to fit our trucks it,s not just a matter of welding it together so before you rip everything apart be prepared to get the pipes bent
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I prefer car headers. I'm using 3/4 length Chevelle headers. Nice and tucked up they don't hang down below the frame.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
'87Silverado

I found these, which are pretty much the same price but they are ceramic coated.

Anyone have any experience with these?
'87Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
ANDREW

I have the painted summit headers i like them alot ... the ceramic ones look nice .. and there pretty cheep
ANDREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Pyrotechnic

I'm using those headers. They line up perfectly to the double hump dual exhaust cross member that came on Big 10 and Heavy Half trucks, as well as 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that didn't have catalytic converters.

Most 1/2 tons had the weird catalytic converter crossmember, which on the passenger side is fine, but the drivers side is a nightmare, I don't care what headers you have. These particular headers might have an issue with this crossmember because they have long collectors (good for performance and sound). The cheaper design of headers for these trucks have shorter collectors and will work with this crossmember but require an immediate bend right after the cross member to go up and over it. Very awkward if you ask me.

Not only that, the cheaper design of headers for these trucks (they all seem to be the same no matter the company) has terrible plug access on #3, and will burn plug wires on #3. You might have to do anything from making a heat shield to denting the tube.

I'm pretty happy with the Hedman Elites. With the double hump crossmember, they fit like they are made for the truck. Plugs access is good all around. The toughest one is #5, because the tubes are bent to clear the clutch linkage that some of these trucks came with, but you can still get to it OK.

Also be aware, truck headers are not good for lowered trucks. I have not found headers for these trucks that clear angle plug heads. Make sure you have straight plug heads, or find headers that explicitly state that they will work with angle plug heads.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 10-22-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote