The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2003, 06:54 PM   #1
Dropt72Shortbed

removing rear coil springs?

never worked on a truck with rear coils before, only leafs

any tips and tricks to removing the rear coils? a nice easy step list would help. the ones i have on are eibach 4" drop coils (for sale in the parts forum) now so theyll probably be easier to get off than a stock coil.

anyways and tips would be great, i want to tackle it this weekend and start getting my bags in (still waiting for my damn por 15 to arrive so i can paint the frame.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:19 PM   #2
7T1BURB

Just finished last week putting ECE 4" dropped coils on the BURB and its not too painful to do. Here's what I did:

1. Jack up rear of vehicle very high so jack stands can be put well behind the rear end and under the rear FRAME.....remember these coils are under load when vehicle is on the ground.
2. With rear up on stands (ON THE FRAME) , put jack under differential and raise rear end to take the load off the coils....you may have to do it a few times to see when the coils are about "neutral".
3. Unbolt bottom bolt (nut is spot welded to "coil keeper dish" (or whatever its called).
4. Unbolt top bolt...have to sneak in box end wrench over top of the frame to get to the nut.
5. Slowly lower jack "a bit" and coils will easily come out.
6. Reassembly is reverse.......

MAKE SURE THAT THE JACK STANDS ARE RATED FOR THE LOAD...I used two jack stands on each side of the frame to ensure it would stay "up there"...

Hope this helps.......
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
7T1BURB

BTW...the very first thing I did was to remove the shocks and stabilizer bar.....forgot to put this on the LIST OF THINGS TO DO.
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
CE20934

Location: Help! I'm in an office park with its own network of freeways!
And the second most important step, for without it your wrenching will be in vain (or your truck is incredibly clean), douse all hardware to be removed with copious amounts of penetrant.
CE20934 is offline   Reply With Quote