The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
cyberpine

checking oil pressure when guage is not working

87 c10 305 TBI. Oil pressure gauge is not working. Its all the way to the right?

Any way to check oil pressure without it?
What are the likely causes for the guage not to work? Will I likely need to remove dash to fix it?

I went to Autozone to see if I could pull the codes on the Check Engine light but they said their device only works on 1990 and higher. Whats an economical way to get the codes out?

Thanks.

My 1987 C10 Short Bed (click on slideshow to see full album)

Last edited by cyberpine; 10-20-2009 at 09:00 AM.
cyberpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
ont_guy_38

Re: checking oil pressure when guage is not working

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/ that has everything you need
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
87Bob

Probably not the gage probably the sending unit. It's on the back of the engine. Under the air cleaners shadow behind the carb on the top back of the block.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Sending unit for the gage could also be down by the oil filter. To test the gage, locate the sender, ground the wire that goes to it and look at the gage, then unground the wire and look at the gage. One way will be high pressure and the other way low pressure. If the gage reacts like that, replace the sender, if not, check the wire, then replace the gage. Make sure the key is on when you check it.
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
83burban

The second sender that you are talking about MCclure is actually a pressure switch that controls choke settings...not the actual gauge. You are correct about testing the sender with the wire.

edit...saw that it is an 87 so maybe the sender is down by the filter but I still doubt it.
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

83, Mine's an 84 & the sender is down by the filter. I have no choke heater. The choke heater oil pressure switch will have 2 heavy (10 or 12 gage??) wires on it while the gage sender wire (green??) should be like a 14 gage. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote