The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
GMC Guy

Intake manifold question

i'm taking my edelbrock manifold off to clean it really good and to replace the old gaskets. i have a new set of fel-pro gaskets already, but i just need to know where to put RTV and basically the best way to put it back together so it won't leak. i heard that using RTV instead of the rubber end seals works better and lasts longer. i know it's not rocket science, but i'd just like to know the correct procedure to remove/replace the intake, so i don't have any leaks. thanks.
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Intake manifold question

run a 1/4 inch bead of rtv at the front and rear rails toss the rubbers in the trash. then set the gaskets in place so the tips on the corner sink into the rtv. if you want you can put a thin coat of rtv around the water ports. make sure to use thread sealer on the 4 center bolts that are next to the carb flange otherwise they will start to seep oil.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
GMC Guy

ok, i have to go down to the parts store to get a few things, what kind of RTV should i use? and also what thread sealer works best? oh and i don't have access to a torque wrench, so if i tighten the bolts evenly, will i be ok?
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
cowboy5683

whats up greg?..How is the truck running otherwise?..Ya..Just use oil resistant rtv..you will be good..I would use thread sealant on those bolts..cable is correct..you will leak some water passed them and it will drive ya crazy...just get whatever kragen has..also a tip..put a tiny dab of rtv on each corner of the intake gaskets and let it set for 30 mins before dropping intake on and you will have no frustrations with the gaskets not lining up with the bolt holes..as far as the torque goes..you will be ok without it if you have a really good feel for torque and evenness between the bolts..but I wouldnt cus one mis torque and you could have a vacuum leak and you know how those go now dont ya?..lol..you can get a decent torque wrench at harbor frieght tools for like $30 or possibly rent one from kragen or autozone ??
cowboy5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
87Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Guy View Post
ok, i have to go down to the parts store to get a few things, what kind of RTV should i use? and also what thread sealer works best? oh and i don't have access to a torque wrench, so if i tighten the bolts evenly, will i be ok?
Wait till you have a torque wrench! Or barrow one.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
cableguy0

you cant get a torque wrench on most of the bolts. just start in the middle and work out in steps. by the time the ends are tight the middle will be loose just keep going back over them. no need to crank then up hard. The rtv you want is called The right stuff . it costs more but it sets up quicker and seals great. Just do not wait 30 minutes with this stuff. Dont put it on the rails until you are ready to set the intake on
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
GMC Guy

ok, i'll see if i can borrow one. my manifold is extremely dirty and it's not doing my engine compartment any justice
would they sell the Right Stuff at kragen? otherwise i could go to autozone or something
Oh, and what works best for cleaning the grime off the intake? other than blasting it. i heard brake cleaner works well?

what's up CJ? the truck is running great! I can't thank-you enough for your help. and i'm just shopping around for an exhaust system now, i want a real head turner haha
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__

Last edited by GMC Guy; 10-20-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
cowboy5683

Right on right on..Glad yer havin good luck!..I am sure with all the hard work yer puttin in it you will be chasin em away with a stick!!..Just dont drive by jenny craig..you will need a bigger stick!!..lol..I know..socially incorrect..sorry..couldnt resist

Last edited by cowboy5683; 10-20-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: cant spell for s**t..lol
Old 10-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
GMC Guy

hahahahaha

that B**** isn't getting any where close to my truck lol

oh, and some buddies of mine (who own square bodies) were thinking of starting our own club for only 73-87 chevy's. i thought of the name
Tri-Vallley Square Bodies "Where it's cool to be Square" haha just gotta get some decals made, and maybe some shirts. then cruise downtown on friday nights
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
Old 10-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
cowboy5683

Thats awesome..Looks like you will be the quadrajet man in that club now huh?..Always good to have more clubs!!..Stickers n such are easy..Down here there is a guy at the mall that makes em any size and style.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
GMC Guy

that'd be sweet lol
and yes no one believes i'm running a q-jet haha they're like "uhhh, can you rebuild mine?" lol
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
Old 10-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
cableguy0

Any auto parts store should have it. its made by permatex and comes in a can not a tube. foamy engine bright will help a good bit. also castrol super clean does really really good just dont spray it on anything that you want the paint to stay on
Old 10-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
GMC Guy

so it won't mess up the finish on the aluminum intake right?
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
Old 10-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
cableguy0

if the intake is that dirty it probably already lost its finish if there ever was one. most aluminum intakes are just bare aluminum. unless you got an eps manifold or had it cleared or powder coated on your own its just bare aluminum
Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
cowboy5683

Unless its the "endurashine" finish it has no finish..It is "as cast finish"..got to the edelbrock website..they mention something called oxisolv aluminum cleaner..I dont know what it is but I am sure they wouldnt recommend something if it was gonna mess it up.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #16
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Thick beads on the ends. A little under the gaskets. A small bead on the water jackets. No leaks on my intake!!

Last edited by gchemist; 10-20-2009 at 08:10 PM.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #17
bitchin85

quick question.. probably a stupid one.. but why is a bead of rtv better then the rubber gaskets on the ends? i recently replaced my intake and i used the rubber gaskets with a thin layer of rtv on them..
Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #18
cowboy5683

No question is stupid..I believe it makes it easier for those situations where yer dealing with a heavy manifold by yerself and ya dont have to worry bout one of them lil suckers gettin away from ya and fallin in the valley or endin up crooked..If anyone knows any other reason let us know.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #19
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Better resistance to oil and temperature changes.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #20
cowboy5683

lol..I knew I would forget something..damn Coors light..lol
Old 10-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #21
GMC Guy

well it's on there, waiting til tomorrow to fire it up (give the silicone time to cure) i'll post some pics ASAP. it came out amazing looks brand new!
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 AM   #22
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

good work! BTW

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #23
cableguy0

silicone is used because the rubber gaskets shrink in a relatively short amount of time and then start puking oil down the front and back of the motor. Gm has had a tech service bulletin since i think the mid 80's to throw away the rubber seals and use rtv instead because they are prone to blowing out and leaking
Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #24
bitchin85

thanks ill remember that when i swap out my intake
Old 10-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

I missed this one in time to help out but Pine-Sol does incredible things with greasy & dirty aluminum.

A couple gallons from the dollar store and a plastic bin large enough to fit the intake in flat on the bottom are all you need.

Let is soak until the grease is gone. It will even take carbon deposits off aluminum head combustion chambers. They come out looking brand new. Time soaking depends upon the amount of grime.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote