The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
cincytrucktp

Buying a truck, need advise!

Hello everyone! I have to say this is a great site, I haven't been able to stop looking at the site for a week straight. Anyway I'm new to the 67-72 trucks but know I've always liked them and for the last week I've been looking for a nice one. My question is when looking for these trucks can anyone tell me what to look for? Like what areas of these trucks rust or what problems I should look for when choosing one. Any specific part of the country should I stay away from looking for one? I have found lots, from junk to super nice. Any advise you can give me would be great!
cincytrucktp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
EA69TRK

Re: Buying a truck, need advise!

and from California the usual spots of rust is the cab corners and rockers sometimes the area around the windshield. Also if you go take a look at a truck in person bring a magnet with you to see if thers bondo anywhere. Good Luck on your search.
EA69TRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
.. Go get Andy and take him with you...

LockDoc

p.s. Buy him lunch and a Dew and you'll be good to go...

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Welcome!

Take your time and get the best one you can afford that has as much done to it that matters to you. A common mistake is to underestimate what it costs to get one the way you would like it to be.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
mclairmo

Avoid any rust. Very expensive to fix unless you own a mig welder and can do body work well. Engine work is easy to do. I'd rather buy a cherry body and frame with no engine than a great running truck with rust.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
70cst

from Zanesville Ohio cincytrucktp ... I agree that rust areas to look for are: inside top windshield area, rockers, inside kick panels, and cab corners.
You need to decide if you want swb or lwb, auto or manuel transmission, 6 cyl., small v8 or large V8... Also these trucks are divided in three years: 67-68, 69-70, and 71-72. What options such as...is factory AC important to you. As been said...rust can be very expensive to repair. If you see a truck feel free to ask questions from us and also post pics if you are able. You will find this forum very helpful. Good Luck in your search.

For your pleasure you will find this reading enjoyable...
http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...cks/index.html

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
cincytrucktp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
from Zanesville Ohio cincytrucktp ... I agree that rust areas to look for are: inside top windshield area, rockers, inside kick panels, and cab corners.
You need to decide if you want swb or lwb, auto or manuel transmission, 6 cyl., small v8 or large V8... Also these trucks are divided in three years: 67-68, 69-70, and 71-72. What options such as...is factory AC important to you. As been said...rust can be very expensive to repair. If you see a truck feel free to ask questions from us and also post pics if you are able. You will find this forum very helpful. Good Luck in your search.

For your pleasure you will find this reading enjoyable...
http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...cks/index.html
Thanks, good article.

All good advise. I got overly excited about buying a 69 and it looked great on the outside but the underside and interior and engine was a little rough. Think I'll off off until I can find one that has a real nice body. Like someone said above the engine stuff is easy. I've done engine swaps etc and that's easy, but I have no body experience. What's frustrating is that some times the trucks look great from the outside but until you see them in person or ask the seller to send you detailed pics it's hard to tell if someone has just done a quick paint job on the truck. This may take a while.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
cincytrucktp

Everyone says to check the cab corners. Where exactly on the cab or which corner do you find the rust issues?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

welcome to the forums from just up the road!
I'm the andy locdoc was refering to... but he doesn't realize we are 100 miles apart.
You are in the reigon to avoid classics from. Granted, you are on the edge of the worst part... but you are still in it.
You never mentioned your budget, however, for 1000 bucks you can have any running driving truck shipped to you from Cali. If your time frame is flexible, you can get it done cheaper.
I would not bother with junk from our neck of the woods.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincytrucktp View Post
Everyone says to check the cab corners. Where exactly on the cab or which corner do you find the rust issues?

This would be the bottom area close to the bed.

See link...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=293237

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Last edited by 70cst; 10-21-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Lower rear cab corners, rocker panels, the edges of the floor boards under the carpets. (these trucks were notorious for winshield leaks). However, My truck has all of these symptoms and even some rotted outter cab supports and I would not sell it for the world and I will gladly get around to fixing them all.

The way I see it, it's just more fun no matter what you have to fix. I only spent a couple of months playing around with this one after I got back in April. Now I can't park it long enough to do any more!

highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
danw210
69 K20

Seeing as you are in Ohio you probly wont find many good trucks unless you are willing to pay top dollar. I would suggest looking for a good mildly priced truck in Arizona or California. You can get alot more for your money even if you have to pay to haul it to your door. I shipped a truck from cali to Illinois for about $600.
danw210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I agree buy one in Az. but take "Andy(AKA LHM,AKA Longhorn Man)" with you on a raod trip to pick it up.The TSA guys love him!
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #14
Longhorn Man

ROFLMAO!!!!
Cincy... let me know if you seriously want to know that story!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
big_al_71

Welcome from Miami!!!!!!

I am almost tempted to offer you mine........

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
cincytrucktp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
ROFLMAO!!!!
Cincy... let me know if you seriously want to know that story!
I'm all ears! As long as your willing to tell the story. Sounds like your frequently pressured to tell the story.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
cincytrucktp

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
Welcome from Miami!!!!!!

I am almost tempted to offer you mine........
Very Nice truck! Your truck is about 99% exactly how I want mine to look. Love the two tone, wide trim and low stance with the torq thrust style rims. Engine is nice also but I,m probably going to stick with a almost stock motor with a little cam, but that's it. Got the cobra to keep my speed needs happy. Very Nice truck you have!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #18
big_al_71

Quote:
Very Nice truck! Your truck is about 99% exactly how I want mine to look. Love the two tone, wide trim and low stance with the torq thrust style rims. Engine is nice also but I,m probably going to stick with a almost stock motor with a little cam, but that's it. Got the cobra to keep my speed needs happy. Very Nice truck you have!!!!!!

Thanks you....
\
What year cobra?

Picts?

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #19
71cheyenne4x4

I'm also from cincy and what exactly are you looking for and how much are you looking to spend? I'll keep an eye out. Yeah not too many rust free trucks around here unless you are looking to spend decent money. I'd also opt for a western or southern truck.
71cheyenne4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
cincytrucktp

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
Thanks you....
\
What year cobra?

Picts?
It's a 2003 Cobra with a few mods. Rear wheel Hp is 452 Tq 462, so it runs pretty good. Bought it in 2005 and just made my last payment, so she's mine. Only has 10k miles on it, never get to drive it much but now that it's paid for that's why i'm looking for a truck. Always wanted a 70ish truck. Don't really have any pics on my work pc but I need to have them but hopefully I'll have a truck to post pic of soon.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
cincytrucktp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cheyenne4x4 View Post
I'm also from cincy and what exactly are you looking for and how much are you looking to spend? I'll keep an eye out. Yeah not too many rust free trucks around here unless you are looking to spend decent money. I'd also opt for a western or southern truck.
I'm not sure how much I want to spend. I could probably get whatever if I wanted to sell the cobra, but I think I want to keep her. So I'm thinking something under 15k, but if I could find the right one I wouldn't mind doing some of the work. I know this doesn't happen often, but if I could find a truck with a almost perfect body and paint I could live without the engine and just throw in a crate motor or even rebuild one. I have no experience with body or paint work so I'm going to have to let someone do that for me. Hate to be picky on the color but I really want a truck that's blue, has to be a short bed and I think I like the 69 up models but wouldn't say no to a nice 67 or 68. Ideally I'd like to spend 9 or 10k and get something nice. Thanks for the offer to keep an eye out for me.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
70cst

Quote:
I'm not sure how much I want to spend. I'm thinking something under 15k, but if I could find the right one I wouldn't mind doing some of the work. I know this doesn't happen often, but if I could find a truck with a almost perfect body and paint I could live without the engine and just throw in a crate motor or even rebuild one. I have no experience with body or paint work so I'm going to have to let someone do that for me. Hate to be picky on the color but I really want a truck that's blue, has to be a short bed and I think I like the 69 up models but wouldn't say no to a nice 67 or 68. Ideally I'd like to spend 9 or 10k and get something nice. Thanks for the offer to keep an eye out for me.
cincytrucktp ... in this economy you should be able to find a very nice truck for $9,000-10,000. Also you will find trucks for sell on this site. As mentioned you could find a nice truck and have it hauled back this way. Fine69 hauls trucks and he is based out of Urbana which is just north about 100 miles. Mike is a straight shooter and he would do a good job should you go that route.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #23
cincytrucktp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
cincytrucktp ... in this economy you should be able to find a very nice truck for $9,000-10,000. Also you will find trucks for sell on this site. As mentioned you could find a nice truck and have it hauled back this way. Fine69 hauls trucks and he is based out of Urbana which is just north about 100 miles. Mike is a straight shooter and he would do a good job should you go that route.
Thx 70CST! I may have to look him up when I find one.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #24
Longhorn Man

with a budget like that... I wouldn't even consider thinking about a truck from this part of the country.
I would look on craigs list from san-fran on south, and from western texas on west. With that kind of funds, you can demand only the best... maybe one notch below the best, but you get the picture. I'll second what was said about Mike (fine69). He is a stand up guy, and on the dude side, probably my best friend... and I don't hang out with POS people..
As far as the TSA comment... I'll just link you to a very long thread from last winter when Mike and I took a short road trip. It's a good 30 to 45 min read... but WELL worth it IMO.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=322870
Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #25
big mike71

I would go to Iowa and buy Leon's white 67.