The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
TheGreenCoyote

Fuel tank leak discovered.

So as I was underneath working on my '73 I saw what appeared to be a large damp spot underneath the fuel tank. The tank is on the right and I think it is a 20 gallon? As I lightly pressed the spot with my finger it started saturating the surface like crazy with gas. It is weird because the surface does not look damaged or rusty. The tank does not appear rusty at all. Is the tank just that thin now? I think I've been losing lots of fuel by the slow drip, drip drippin' away down there.

I am more than disappointed with the discovery because I only put the "new"bed on a few months back. I assume it would have been lots easier removing the tank without the bed on.

Is the tank relatively easy to remove with the bed on?

Does anyone here have experience removing the tank and repairing with one of those repair kits?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks for all the help with my project so far. I am really enjoying being a new member of this site!
Attached Images

TheGreenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Fuel tank leak discovered.

yea its pretty easy to pull out. the lines can be a bit of a pain but the easiest thing to do is disconnect the rubber lines on the truck side instead of the tank side. theres 8 bolts on the back side of the frame that hold the strap brackets on. its easiest to pull those bolts instead of trying to fight with the straps and just pull it out as an assembly. the repair kits only work ok on pin holes and in my experience you end up finding more and leaks as you plug em. the tank probably rotted from the inside out. im willing to bet theres other spots just as bad. a new tank can be had for about 120 bucks or less
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
watahyahknow

i've heared about rare gastanks (that aren't replaceable ) to be coated inside to cure the leaking , not sure i think they did that in a radiatorshop

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
6772fan

Seems to be a trend with these leaking. I just replaced the drivers side tank on my 78 longbed. I bought a new one at Auto Zone for 93 bucks. It was a 20 gallon tank and I removed the 8 bolts from the frame to the tank and took it out as a unit. It's also a good idea to go ahead and replace the sending unit while it's out.
One trick I discovered was to block it up just enough for clearance to reach through and cut the rubber fuel lines, reaching from the outside, and did the same thing in reverse order when replacing it with new rubber fuel lines. The straps can be a bit of a pain to line back up, and it's critical they are in the correct position when it comes to installing the new tank because the 8 bolt holes must be on the money.
It's not all that difficult, just takes some time.

1979 Chevy SWB- (Second owner- Father in Law was first)

1979 Chevy Silverado SWB-Red/Red
6772fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
TheGreenCoyote

Thanks everyone for the help. I see a fuel tank replacement in LMC that I think I will order. I hope it fits right!
TheGreenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the trick doing it from underneath is to snug the tank in the strap/mount assembly then let loose on it a tad so that you can move it and line up the mounts with the holes on the frame then snug down the mounts and install the thing.. you want to put one bolt in so you can put the lines on then bolt it all up

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

Dont mean to jump on this thread,,, but JUST found that my tank is also leaking..

So Im looking and found 16 & 20 gal tanks.
Rock Auto, less then a benny,
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
KrazyRay

My father-in-law had a hole in the tank of his 87 and I did a temporary fix by using black permatex and a pan head sheet metal screw. Its held for 1 1/2 years but I have begged him to replace it since. I even gave him the replacement tank.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
watahyahknow

when you have a small leak down the road you can actually fix it temporary with a bar of soap (wish you offcourse have laying around in the truck at all times) just push smear a small piece in the hole , or oldfasioned (non chemical but from a rubbertree) chewinggum
i worked for a tire exaustchop and we did by accident drilled intoo the tank we sanded the surounding and a copper coin and used a realy big electric solderingiron to solder the coin over the hole , worked fine but it was a unrusted tank

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 11-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

What is the material thats between the strap and tank?
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
watahyahknow

usually rubber or bitumen (use it in roofing)

Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
bitchin85

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
usually rubber or bitumen (use it in roofing)
my tank was leaking too. but the stuff wasnt rubber it was almost like plastic lined yellow insulation
Old 11-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
nlped

I got my replacement tank from Rock Auto. Their price was the best and it was shipped right to the house...nice!

It's not to bad to do as long as your truck isn't really low, and your working on your back, in a gravel driveway, and it's raining... Oh, I digress

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
cableguy0

its always raining when you gotta work in the driveway. and theres always that one spot that drips on ya when your under the truck no matter where you lay. i agree rockauto or advance auto parts is the best way to go. lmc doesnt deserve your money
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
bitchin85

when you buy a new tank, what do you coat it with so it wont rust? is there stuff specifically for gas tanks or frame paint or??? michigan withers are hell on steel.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
cableguy0

well if ya figure the first one lasted close to between 20 and 30 years. i dont really think its worth worrying about. you could always paint it but tanks always seem from the inside out.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #17
boatpuller

man,if i had the bed off like that,i'd look real hard at the blazer type conversion or do plastic between the rails in the rear.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
watahyahknow

you might be able to have the tank zinq coated inside and out that should hold out for a loooooong time
and i noticed that the tanks catch a lot of dirt so some rubber mudflaps at strategic places might work as whell