The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
dyrt

Brake questions, help APPRECIATED!

Howdy Folks,
In 1969 my grandfather bought a new c10 chevy truck and gave it to my uncle 3 years later. It has recently been passed to my hands and i am practically foaming at the mouth at the thoughts with what i can do with this truck. A brake line busted right before it was given to me and i see no point in replacing a hard line for front drums..........

I have read many posts on several forums and have come up with a plan to upgrade the brakes to power discs and i want to retain the 6 lug pattern. I have concocted a plan but i would appreciate if anyone could just look it over and see if i am on the right track, that is, that i have gathered my facts correctly.

I am going to swap later (1986) balljoints into my existing upper and lower a-arms and use the 1986 spindle. I will retain the 1986 caliper and buy a set of cpp 6 lug rotors and new bearings. I am not sure which soft lines to use(replacement 69 disc brake lines i guess?) and i am not sure what proportioning valve to use, though i would most likely just remove it off the donor truck. Does this sound like i am on the right track?

Is the front suspension in 1986 suburbans the same as a 1986 truck and, if so, would it be to my advantage to just swap the whole front suspension assembly from the suburban onto the 69? i have a donor truck i can use that is in the same generation as the 86 but i want to junk the suburban anyway.

Last, what should i do for a booster and master cylinder? Should i just get 69 replacements and is there any difference between manual and power brake pedals?

Sorry for the long post, just want to do this job once because while i love working on cars and trucks, i like to drive them too!!!!

Mike
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Brake questions, help APPRECIATED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyrt View Post
Howdy Folks,
In 1969 my grandfather bought a new c10 chevy truck and gave it to my uncle 3 years later. It has recently been passed to my hands and i am practically foaming at the mouth at the thoughts with what i can do with this truck. A brake line busted right before it was given to me and i see no point in replacing a hard line for front drums..........

I have read many posts on several forums and have come up with a plan to upgrade the brakes to power discs and i want to retain the 6 lug pattern. I have concocted a plan but i would appreciate if anyone could just look it over and see if i am on the right track, that is, that i have gathered my facts correctly.

I am going to swap later (1986) balljoints into my existing upper and lower a-arms and use the 1986 spindle. I will retain the 1986 caliper and buy a set of cpp 6 lug rotors and new bearings. I am not sure which soft lines to use(replacement 69 disc brake lines i guess?) and i am not sure what proportioning valve to use, though i would most likely just remove it off the donor truck. Does this sound like i am on the right track?

OK so far.

Is the front suspension in 1986 suburbans the same as a 1986 truck and, if so, would it be to my advantage to just swap the whole front suspension assembly from the suburban onto the 69? i have a donor truck i can use that is in the same generation as the 86 but i want to junk the suburban anyway.

Last, what should i do for a booster and master cylinder? Should i just get 69 replacements and is there any difference between manual and power brake pedals?

You can get a rebuilt replacement unit loaded or unloaded. Get the unloaded booster for a 69 and add a updated MC. We sell all of that just for info but you can get locally. You will relocate the pin on your brake arm to the power brake position to get the proper lever. Email us or go online for a diagram.

MC's can be had for manual or disc only or for both with the removable insert.

Sorry for the long post, just want to do this job once because while i love working on cars and trucks, i like to drive them too!!!!

Mike

[QUOTE=dyrt;3586003]Howdy Folks,

OK so far.

You can get a rebuilt replacement unit loaded or unloaded. Get the unloaded booster for a 69 and add a updated MC. We sell all of that just for info but you can get locally. You will relocate the pin on your brake arm to the power brake position to get the proper lever. Email us or go online for a diagram.

MC's can be had for manual or disc only or for both with the removable insert.

Mike
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
dyrt

Thank you for the response! What are your feelings on swapping the whole front suspension? Is there really any advantage to it in your opinion? I looked at your page and noticed both a single and dual diaphragm booster for these trucks, is there a reason to choose one over the other? I plan on keeping the rear drums and just switching the front to discs, i am thinking the prop valve from the donor suburban will probably do fine. If so, it looks like i have enough parts to lower the cost and make this an easy swap.

Mike
Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Pont406

Are you running original 6 lug wheels? Original 69 wheels will not clear brake calipers.
Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
dyrt

that is something i had anticipated. I will most likely get some later model truck 6 luggers and powdercoat them. I figured this would keep the image of the old worktruck intact and also be easy to find and replace. I am debating whether or not to use the whole front assembly from the 86 because i don't know if the steering stuff all lines up. I am also going to use the power steering out of the 86. I believe that the box should bolt up. Looks like i need to get that thing on the lift and start tearing the parts out of it.

Mike