The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2003, 07:17 PM   #1
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Styling Question

I was looking at a magazine that featured the designer of the '67 trucks at GM. One of the illustrations looked like the truck cab roof was covered in black vinyl. I know that the late 60's and early-mid 70's had a rash of styling trends, one of which was vinyl tops as aftermarket items. This led me to wonder if anyone has ever had, or has seen, or has a picture of a '67-72 with a vinyl top?

In my opinion, to be period-correct, it would have to have two seams to have the "correct" appearance of a factory vinyl top. I also think it should have the chrome trim on the rain gutter, as well as the chrome trim found below the rear window on two-tone truck cabs.

So, what do you think and has anyone see one, or have a picture of one?

I kinda thought (briefly) about going back to black on my truck (original color), then adding a vinyl top (with the afore-mentioned chrome trim) and maybe even using '68 side trim on the body (I like it better than the upper/lower trim on the '69-72's. If you add chrome front/rear bumpers, a '71-72 outer grille, then use a nice billet insert with the parking lights hidden behind the grille....well, you now have my interpretation of a "classy" classic. I would also use a flip kit to reverse the handle on the tailgate, and add the bright trim on the tailgate, but use the lower trim piece in both places on the tailgate. Relocating the gas tank and using a late '70's van gas filler door would finish the clean-up of the body. A set of 17-inch Colorado Custom Slater-6 wheels would add the sparkle needed to finish it off. Since my truck is already lowered and has a disc brake conversion, I would think it wouldn't look too shabby....if, and only if, it was done.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

I am familiar with the article you're talking about, and I understand what you're describing... but I just can't buy into the vinyl top personally. Maybe it was that '72 RS Camaro I had briefly in high school, or that '67 Chrysler 500 my dad drove forever. Or maybe it was watching Moritz Cadillac's make-ready department slap carriage roof after carriage roof on their Caddys back in the '80's. Whatever it is...

Having said that, I'm a big fan of "unique" so don't let me hold you back on the idea!

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 09:13 PM   #3
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

I like your choice of wheels and relocating the tank, but IMHO the vinyl idea sounds like crap. To each his own, but I just can't see it. Later............Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:27 AM   #4
chevy2racr
So Many Ideas, So Little Money

I thought we've had a couple pics posted before that looked like a vinal top on a truck, anyone remeber?
09 Malibu

Marshalltown, Iowa
chevy2racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:38 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I've seen one with a fake spray on vinyl top.It was not well done and I personally didn't like it.I have seen some later model trucks with vinyl tops and filled or partially filled rear windows.Some of them were pretty nice but I just don't care for the style.I think it stems from all the peelers I've seen over the years.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 11:45 AM   #6
fine69

Heck with the idea. Get someone to put paint on the top, and put chipguard on/in it. Like they used to do on the bottom of the vehicle. Same effect.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 12:04 PM   #7
ozarkhippie

I don't recall a 72 or older, but a friend of mine had a 73 pu. with a vinyl top. He doesn't know if it was dealer or fact.installed. His dad bought the brand new. We never understood why it had a vinyl top. It was a low option everyday looking truck.
ozarkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

....it's kinda retro, but...

Hey! I appreciate the feedback. That's what we do here.

I, too, have seen more than a few of the "peelers", and spray-on fake vinyl roofs in my time. Carriage roofs? Yeah. Kiddilacs, Town Cars, Imperials...Impalas, LTD's....we've all seen 'em. You can chrome-plate a turd, and what do you have? It's still a turd. So, with that said, my opinion is IF anyone was inclined to put a vinyl top on a 67-72, it would make more sense (my opinion, remember) to use a small-window '67, for that "limousine/luxury" look that you'd be trying to achieve. Heck, go ahead and add the fake top bows, ala carriage roof jobs, to give it the "look" of a folding top. That's what GM was doing when it introduced them in '63 ('62???). The top styling was done to emulate a convertible, so adding the vinyl to the top just heightened the effect.

As for limousines, they don't have a choice about putting vinyl on them....they stretch them so much that the roof has to flex. Any filler/lead would crack and pop. The vinyl lets the body flex without it showing. The top of our trucks (not extended conversions) shouldn't have that problem. Besides, it was just a rhetorical question. I didn't say I was going to do it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:13 PM   #9
Ackattack

I don't like vinyl tops on anything. A friend of mine has an old mustang with a vinyl top that he says is pretty rare....if it was mine I would have ripped it off rare or not. I wasn't around in that period, so maybe that's why I don't like them...I don't know.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote