The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Porterbuilt hood hinges?

Does anyone know if those are available?.....Just curious,,,might end up needing them soon.
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
fazels

Location: Durban South Africa presently working in al ain abu dhabi united arab emirates
Re: Porterbuilt hood hinges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puropedo View Post
Does anyone know if those are available?.....Just curious,,,might end up needing them soon.
hi
you may try feslerbuilt and ring brothers,made of billet but expensive around 500 to 700 usd.
fazel
fazels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

porterbuilt posts on here often, might try PMing him
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
nastyc10

I just ordered some from grant kustoms. I couldn't wait any longer and they were cheap.
nastyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazels View Post
hi
you may try feslerbuilt and ring brothers,made of billet but expensive around 500 to 700 usd.
fazel
All these do is look better than originals. Most people spend the bucks for function & looks. Those billet hinges bolt into the stock location & offer no increased clearance.

Porters hinges should be out soon & will offer increased clearance for those that need it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
kev2809
low n' slo

i could have sworn i seen them on a truck already that wasnt his...lemme try to find the thread

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
kev2809
low n' slo

oops, i had them mixed up. i found the thread but they are grant hinges, they look good though.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 10-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
c10addict

I haven't seen them... 5windowpickup used Grant Kustoms and they turned out great....

Here is a link to his build

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3554423
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
kev2809
low n' slo

ya, i got that pic from his build. they look like some cool hinges

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 10-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
fazels

Location: Durban South Africa presently working in al ain abu dhabi united arab emirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
All these do is look better than originals. Most people spend the bucks for function & looks. Those billet hinges bolt into the stock location & offer no increased clearance.

Porters hinges should be out soon & will offer increased clearance for those that need it.
hi scoti
i couldnt agree with you more. i would prefer ones on firewall. will wait for porterbuilt hinges.
fazel
fazels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #11
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Thanks everyone for your replies, and the site links. Nastyc10, do you mind telling us how much those hinges cost you? Also is there a part # for those (I try their website but didnt find them) Are you planning on welding yours up or doing the same mod 5window did?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #12
nastyc10

I payed $75 shipped to texas. They aren't on their site, you have to call them. I'm going to do what 5window did. I don't want them welded to my hood.
nastyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
stunna

Quote:

scoti, whats soon? We know how busy Porter can get
stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunna View Post
scoti, whats soon? We know how busy Porter can get
I bet if I asked him..... the answer would be 2-weeks (his favorite response to me) . He's got a bunch going on but I'm not sure where these are on his 'priority' list.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-27-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
c10addict

Actually 5windowpickup just put all porters front and rear stuff on his truck and tried to get his hinges but they are not ready yet!!! Come on Nate!!! We love your stuff and as Billy Idol would say Cry more more more!!!!!
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #16
coopdeville

sign me up for a set too!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #17
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyc10 View Post
I payed $75 shipped to texas. They aren't on their site, you have to call them. I'm going to do what 5window did. I don't want them welded to my hood.
$75 is ok, and you are right, welding them to the hood is not a really good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c10addict View Post
Actually 5windowpickup just put all porters front and rear stuff on his truck and tried to get his hinges but they are not ready yet!!! Come on Nate!!! We love your stuff and as Billy Idol would say Cry more more more!!!!!
Ok, Nate,,,Im pretty sure you have already seen this thread about your "hinges" please give us some more info or @ least try to keep some of your future customers updated.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #18
stunna

Quote:
I bet if I asked him..... the answer would be 2-weeks (his favorite response to me) . He's got a bunch going on but I'm not sure where these are on his 'priority' list.
Thats his favorite response to me too! i did get an email from him saying he has been sick and is behind, so he really has to work hard now to catch up, he says that as if he wasn't behind before he got sick! I'm gonna wait till he gets them done before i buy any others. I wasted 200 on a set of Sachse Hinges already!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #19
mac72

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunna View Post
Thats his favorite response to me too! i did get an email from him saying he has been sick and is behind, so he really has to work hard now to catch up, he says that as if he wasn't behind before he got sick! I'm gonna wait till he gets them done before i buy any others. I wasted 200 on a set of Sachse Hinges already!
Stunna whats up w/ the sachse hinges? I was leaning towards those,seen them on a couple of c10's & thought they looked ok.
mac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
Stunna whats up w/ the sachse hinges? I was leaning towards those,seen them on a couple of c10's & thought they looked ok.
well they are nice hinges and all, but they have no spring or shock with them. At first is was going to use gas shocks and make them work but i really wanted something with the shock built in them which is what nate told me he is building. i also will be running a cowl hood and the cowl on the hood hits the freakin windshield cowl. It will take som modification to get these hinges to work with that hood, but really they are nice hinges.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
kev2809
low n' slo

75 seems dirt cheap! anyone have how to pics on putting these in...and do u have to run shocks or gas struts?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
Rokcrln

I picked up a set from a late 90's Ferd Exploder to try on my Tahoe build. Then have a shock built in and are fire wall mount but it will be some time before I get to trying them out

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #23
98L150
///Relaxed Atmosphere

i know i waiit patiently for some of nates hinges for the sub
2012 Chevy Avalanche
2003 Chevy S10 Blazer Xtreme
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RA_Jeff
64 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=295915
98L150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #24
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Must of us knows that Nates stuff will be the bomb. Plus, Nate has an edge on all of these other manufactures because his researches, builds, tests and uses his own stuff. Nonetheless, he is a truck guy. Some of these other manufactures just goes to the drawing board comes up with a product and sells it. Thats why you get stuff like Sachse Rod Shop hinges having an issue with the cowl as Stunna stated if you use their hinges. Also, many many of the other manufactures love to use the "some modification may be required" statement. I tend to stay away from those products because it simply translates in to....spend more money to get it to fit. I will wait for Nates hinges as well. Besides, I have his front dropmember and is about have enough money for his rear as soon as I get Christmas out of the way for the family and get my income tax.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280

Last edited by 68jewel; 10-29-2009 at 04:52 PM.
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68jewel View Post
Must of us knows that Nates stuff will be the bomb. Plus, Nate has an edge on all of these other manufactures because his researches, builds, tests and uses his own stuff. Nonetheless, he is a truck guy. Some of these other manufactures just goes to the drawing board comes up with a product and sells it. Thats why you get stuff like Sachse Rod Shop hinges having an issue with the cowl as Stunna stated if you use their hinges. Also, many many of the other manufactures love to use the "some modification may be required" statement. I tend to stay away from those products because it simply translates in to....spend more money to get it to fit. I will wait for Nates hinges as well. Besides, I have his front dropmember and is about have enough money for his rear as soon as I get Christmas out of the way for the family and get my income tax.
Sachse Rod Shop hinges are well designed & built.

The problem is they're designed & built for a bed cover not a hood. When you install them on a bed cover, the gas struts mount independently of the hinge because of the required extension/compression dimensions of the strut (thus the reason for no strut provisions on the hinge itself). They'll work on hoods w/some creativity.... but they're not designed to be a hood hinge.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG