The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
brett3xx

where to buy power disc brake conversion and lowering kit?

Where is the best place to buy a power disc brake conversion and a 4/6 drop for my 67 chevy? Thanks, Brett
brett3xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
powerbench

Re: where to buy power disc brake conversion and lowering kit?

Bought my lowering kit from Early Classic, good price and helpful service
powerbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

What sort of budget are you looking at?
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
brett3xx

as for my budget, Im looking to get it all for as cheap as possible.
brett3xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
AusTx68

The drop kit will run you $760 from ECE and you will still need calipers, rotors, new upper/lower ball joints and a center link with the proper tie-rod ends. The additional parts can be harvested off a 71-72.

I just went thru this on my 68' using all the parts mentioned above. My truck already had the disk brake conversion but I still replaced all the parts. If you are interested, I will let you have my stock height disk spindels and calipers for $100
Old 10-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post
The drop kit will run you $760 from ECE and you will still need calipers, rotors, new upper/lower ball joints and a center link with the proper tie-rod ends. The additional parts can be harvested off a 71-72.

I just went thru this on my 68' using all the parts mentioned above. My truck already had the disk brake conversion but I still replaced all the parts. If you are interested, I will let you have my stock height disk spindels and calipers for $100

Edited due to my error and misunderstanding of the other poster. My bad.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 10-27-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
This is completely false. If you buy the Early Classic kit for 760 dollars you do not need a single one of those items. It comes with calipers and rotors and reuses your existing ball joints and steering parts. You will need a tub of wheel bearing grease and a jar of brake fluid. That's it.

Don't post information that is not true ! It confuses new folks who do not know better.
I am pretty sure that you are wrong on this.

For $760 you are not getting any rotors, brake calipers, steering stuff or ANYTHING. I believe it is shocks, springs, track bar, shock mounts, and spindles. I may have missed something little but thats about it.
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
GMCPaul

Our kit part # 1120741 found on the following page should fill your needs.
http://www.gmcpauls.com/67-72_d&s.htm
after adding the kit to cart you can add additional items such as 7" or 9" dual diaprham ( requires as little as 12lbs vaccuum to operate the 9" booster so great for motors with low vaccuum due to high lift cams ) high perfomance power boosters to it along with other parts.

Our 5 & 6 lug disc brake kits are put together with all new made in the USA parts, with our 12"X1 1/4" 6 lug rotors being 100% new rotor and hub not a plugged and re-drilled 5 lug rotor as many sell, the calipers, bearings, & pads are the same as used on the 73-87 C10 truck with heavy duty 1 1/4" rotors so replacement parts are easily sourced at your parts store. Our 2 1/2 " drop spindles are also cast in the USA and CNC machined on the latest state of the art CNC equipment in the USA by McGaughy's, not the lower quality import parts here like many others sell. Count on us for 100% USA made parts where it counts.
Our lowering springs are engineered then custom wound and tempered to the specific truck they are purchased for based on ton rating, wheelbase, motor & transmission size, bed style and if truck has A/C or not as these all affect proper spring rating due to changes in weight which we found is better than just pulling a set of lowering springs off the shelf and the same springs shipped to a 6cylinder short wheelbase truck as are shipped to a V8big block long wheelbase as the other companies do. Since they must be manufactured allow 7-10 days from order until delivery.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett3xx View Post
Where is the best place to buy a power disc brake conversion and a 4/6 drop for my 67 chevy? Thanks, Brett
Lots of things in this question:
1) power brakes
2) disc brake conversion (5 or 6 lug?)
3) 4/6 drop
You both are kinda right.

For $760 you get this:

QUOTE: 4/6 Drop Kits (2.5" Drop Spindles, 1.5" Drop Front Coil Springs, 6" Rear Drop Coil Springs, 4 KYB Shock Absorbers, Super Track Bar Kit, Shock Mount Relocator Kit) (Drop Spindles require Disc Brakes)

You will also need a brake booster, master cylinder, rotors, calipers, rubber hoses, dustshields, no ball joints, (since spindles are year specific),...

And ECE has just the front kit also for $760. (67-70 with drop spindles and standard rotors) This is in the second pic.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 10-27-2009 at 07:35 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
mbgmike

We offer Disc brake and spindles kits All made in the USA. We use Mcgaughy's spindles in the kits. Its all top of the line products. We have some of the lowest prices in the US. and customize the kits as you want.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

This is the text from their website. I've used a few of these kits and it is a good one. Very complete. You unbolt the old drum brakes and spindles and use the included parts. Nothing else to buy.

Every Kit Comes Complete With Master Cylinder, Proportioning Valve, Brake Lines, Brake Hoses, Calipers, Pads, Rotors, Bearings, Seals, Dust Shields, Dust Caps, Castle Nuts, Slotted Washers, Banjo Bolts, and All necessary Hardware and Brackets

Cost is 760 dollars.

If the fellow from Austin was referring to the other kit, I do apologize to him because it does require quite a bill of parts to do disc brakes when you buy that kit.

Cheapest by far will be to use 73-87 used parts, a set of Summit front springs, parts store rebuild parts for the brakes, some Summit brand spindles.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 10-27-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
skyreep1

Well I'm not sure of the prices but I buy everything from LMC. I just like em because I've never had a problem with bad parts and if I did they would replace them fast.

Unfortunatley though I just looked at the catalog and its gonna cost you a couple hundred more.

Oh well =] shop around

Everything from LMC would run about $1000
Discs kit
2 1/2" spindles (included in drop brake kit)
2"drop springs
Drop shocks
Frame c-notch kit for if you're dropping your rear more than 5"
adjustable tracking arm

Total (since the 2 1/2" spindles are included in their drop disc kit)
BTW I'm basing this on a guess that the stuff for a 72 is the same for a 76
maybe no though, check their online catalog

Drop disc kit 899.95
2" Drop springs 119.95
5" drop springs for rear 169.95
Frame C-notch kit 169.95
Adjustable tracking arm 99.95
Rear drop shocks 59.95
Front drop shocks 59.95

This oughta giva ya a 4/5 for
$1579.65

REMEMBER THOUGH this is for a 4/5 on a 71-72 c10

Check thier online catalog for yours. It may only be 700 IDK

Mine has a chart that tells you whatcha need for specific drops
skyreep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTx68 View Post

Oops, I incorrectly listed ball joints. I had to change ball joints for my application. Long story but it was due to an error on my part.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

No matter which kit you purchase,...
just make sure you compare all the parts when you are "price shopping".

You don't need a c-notch (on a pickup) unless you are going lower than a 6" drop.
You do need good drop shocks (everyone sells a different brand) Ask which ones they use.
You do need rear shock relocators and some type of adjustable track bar. Personally I like the longer Super Track Bar that ECE and others sell.

Complete kits are much easier to do for the guy that's not sure what he needs.

I agree with Txfirefighter,... some deals on drop springs and other parts can be had from companies like Summit Racing.
(Ground Force springs packaged in a Summit brand box. Around $89.00) I have them on my '69 swb.
Plus 73-up rotors and calipers can be purchased much cheaper than the "2-year specific" 71-72 parts,... from your local parts supplier.

Read, read, read. This board has a ton of info.

On a side note,... I just helped Nate (72BlckButy) do his drop (found under Project Blank Slate),...
and it was nice to have everything you need, delivered to your door,... from one source!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 10-27-2009 at 11:09 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
mbgmike

Thats why we put kits together. We offer our customers to pick and choose the part brand if they have a preference. Most companies don't. Want a different brand shock, No problem, Want a different type of bolt like titanium No problem, Want Timkin bearings or another brand. No problem at all. want it powder coated, no problem.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote