The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
cLaWz

Distributor / Timing Help

Morning all! Last thing to get my truck back on the road is to figure out one last issue.

Just completed a head gasket repair, carb rebuild, and such. Tried firing it up last night but had a leak at the transfer tube on my Holley 4160 (I hate those orings!) Fixed that problem this morning.

First turn of the key after priming the carb she fired up but then quickly sputtered, sent a backfire through the carb and then died. I thought I may be 180* out on the rotor so I flipped it around but then I couldn't get even an attempt at a start so I don't think thats the issue. Static timing is set at 10* Before.. I do not know if this is correct but it seemed to be a recommended starting place here on the forums through a search.

Any advice? I want to drive my truck! Just for those 2 seconds she ran I miss the sound of the V8.

Last edited by cLaWz; 10-28-2009 at 11:10 AM.
cLaWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
cLaWz

Re: Distributor / Timing Help

Went back to basics, reset all the timing and such. Fired right up after some adjustments of the distributor. That's the good news...

Bad news is I am getting some crazy smoke off my manifolds. I have a feeling it may be residue from penetrating oil I used to break bolts,etc free but it does concern me. Waiting for it to cool some then I think I will hit it with cleaner / degreaser and try again.

Anything else I should look at?
cLaWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
menace121978

grab a fire extinguisher and let'er run a bit. just keep an eye on EVERYTHING including the guages.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
cableguy0

Just let it run. degreaser is gonna make it worse. it will eventually burn off and stop smoking.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote