The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
KrazyKevin
What have I gotten into

Yellow vs. Orange!! Just how hard to paint?

This technically probably needs to be in the paint forum but, I need to know more than just technique. Looking at either a bright hugger type orange and a bright canary corvette type yellow. As a beginner do I need to stay away from either? I've read here somewhere about how yellow was hard to shoot. I'm starting to paint some suspension pieces and need to make a color choice. Most everything will be black underneith but I'm gonna paint some smaller pieces yellow/orange like springs, maybe some brackets here and there, and the cover on the rear axle.

What is you guys expierce with color under the truck? It will be either rustoleum roll on or spray can or some brand from the auto store. Just want everything to be clean and sharp, not really show quality. It will be a daily driver. I didn't know if yellow or the orange just gets dirty to quick and makes it look nasty under there. Maybe stick with just solid black everywhere? In general pros/cons for putting some color on the belly of the truck. My wife and 8yr old son like yellow (bumble bee) but the bright hugger orange is kinda growing on me, and my wife is kinda ok with it now also.

Thanks for any help. You guys are awesome

Last edited by KrazyKevin; 10-28-2009 at 02:11 PM.
KrazyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: Yellow vs. Orange!! Just how hard to paint?

I would go with orange, especially if you might ever sell it in the future. Underside and suspension is fugly, I always paint everything semigloss black to hide it. Dont want to accentuate the ugly parts.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
lax54650

frame and under chassis ust black epoxy it will be semi gloss and protect from rust and easy to touch op if need be. as for color. a solid color like the yellow or orange is way easier to do than a metalic. orange or yellow. both will be simular priced. yellow will take more to cover. and is REALY hard to see well to put on even. with a quality single stage (no clear) hugger orange will cover well in 2 coats and look good. fairly easy for a beginer. just put it on smooth. with a single stage solid color you can sand and buff if need be or you can clear and have a more chip resistant finish than bc cc.
lax54650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
KrazyKevin
What have I gotten into

Being they are similar, I think the yellow vote has it. I kinda like the bright yellow with a nice dark grey interior.

Thanks