The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
channingd

In need of some advice-power problem.

O.k. I have a 1987 SWB with the 350 TBI. It idled ruff so first thought was a vacuum leak. Found one of the tubes coming off the TB to the emissions undone. Plugged it back in and idles nice. Good.

But, when I give the truck full throttle, it boggs down and hesitates for awhile and then recovers. Also, it will at times at stop lights or coming to a stop, just die. Starts right back up, but what an embarrassment. I thought timing. Still have not checked it, but I thought I would also clean the injectors and housing with some cleaner. Noticed that the Map sensor vacuum line was sealed with a bolt in it and the Map sensor was plugged in with the three wire plug but nothing on the vacuum nipple. Plugged it back up and the truck will not hold an idle, dies when put in gear, and just won't run. Bad Map sensor(?). Read on here for an hour and all pointed to a bad Map so I went and bought a new one. Plugged in the new one and same symptoms. Unhook the vacuum line to the Map and plug it, truck is back to running although still not great.

I got this truck 4 years ago and never did anything to it. 4 months of body work, new interior, new transmission, new paint, and new wheels and tires, the only thing left is the motor.

Any ideas? Thanks, Channing
channingd is offline   Reply With Quote