The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
4wdriver

1978 3/4 ton questions

just got this truck two weeks ago it has had the cab switched by the previous owner. its a four speed 4x4 the new cab came from an auto my question is about the backup lights they did work before the cab change but was never put back in working order.i would like them to come on when in reverse is there a way to get them to work off of the switch on the four speed again.these old truck are to cool but its hard up here in the rust belt to find a good one.this is my first truck of this vintage so i could use some help my last chevy was an 88 silverado.its nice to have a truck thats fun to work on for a change dont need my code reader for this one!thanks and hello to everyone as i am new to this great web site.
4wdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: 1978 3/4 ton questions

Well, I converted my ’78 K10 from an automatic to a manual about 11 years ago so I am working off old memories here….If I recall correctly there were two green wires that were plugged into the neutral safety switch at the base of the steering column. All I had to do was unplug them from the neutral safety switch and extended the wires to the actual two prong backup light switch that is mounted on the transmission. And if I recall correctly, there was actually a harness that I pirated from the manual trans donor truck that plugged right into wiring harness where the original plugged into the automatic steering column neutral safety switch. If you can't fine such a harness, it would be easy to make.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: 1978 3/4 ton questions

Oh, yeah!!

to the best GM truck site on the net!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote