The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
alden

another series of questions

First I'll start with a "what is it" section:

1. the two items on the right, the black box and the small metal fuse/block above it:

Is the black one the voltage regulator? What is the other? Not that I necessarily need to replace these, but I can't even find them for sale anywhere. Are there rebuild kits or rebuilt ones available?

2. I'm assuming this was a redneck modification, but just wanted to be sure. This isn't factory is it?

3. My truck does not have the original ignition, it also has a push button start setup (the middle one with the black "dots" shaped cover). I want to revert back to the factory setup but am not 100% sure on what was standard. Do all the 59's have foot starters or would a 3 setting ignition be more correct?

4. My brake pedal is a bit loose, well quite loose in my opinion. It has decent return pressure thanks to a new master cylinder, and I put a new spring on (I'm pretty sure I've got that on right), but it moves from side to side and up and down within the hole. Is there supposed to be something holding it in place better? I reattached everything that I took apart but didn't notice how it felt before the master cylinder replacement (it was shot so the pedal was sitting on the floor). The clutch and gas pedals do not move around like this.

5. I have a new gas tank to put in, but it didn't come with new straps. I figure I should probably not reuse the old ones so are these universal (i.e. can I just run to carquest or the like and get new ones)?

I think that's it for today. Thanks again putting up with my ignorant questions and thanks for all the help folks!

-Alden
alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: another series of questions

1. Top silver deal is the horn relay. Bottom is voltage regulator.
2. Factory standard box heater control. Deluxe is chrome and has levers.
3. All came stock with foot acuated solonoid button. Don't know what that is in your guage opening.
4. Sounds like the lower shaft bushing bolt is missing or loose. Or the bushing is worn out. Another possibility is that the whole bracket is loose, it is held on with two bolts to the frame. Have someone get in a move it around while you investigate from below. The shaft is pretty long so there should not be much play, mine has about 300K on it and is still tight. They need lubed on a regular basis, shaft is hollow with a zerk on the end.
5. I don't think you will get them at carquest. My memorie is they bolt on both ends so you can make them out or strap material. I MAY have mine laying around, I can take a look later tonight.

Patrick

Last edited by OrrieG; 11-02-2009 at 08:06 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
4. Sounds like the lower shaft bushing bolt is missing or loose. Or the bushing is worn out. Another possibility is that the whole bracket is loose, it is held on with two bolts to the frame. Have someone get in a move it around while you investigate from below.
ok thanks, what does the shaft bushing bolt look like and where on the assembly does it attach?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
alden

Now that you mention the "all trucks have a foot starter" part I found the small patch they put in place of the original switch. I went and looked through the assembly manual and found the starter switch assembly and given all the parts I don't have I am guessing unless I was able to find a foot starter assembly used I'm better off going with a standard universal ignition.

My starter sits on the passenger side of the engine, but is wired straight to that button on the dash, which was wired to the ignition. Am I basically setup (at present) to have a standard non-foot starter ignition then?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alden View Post
ok thanks, what does the shaft bushing bolt look like and where on the assembly does it attach?
Just noticed you said you have an assy manual. Look at section 5 sheet 12. View B at the top shows the shaft and the retainer clip and bolt. Removing the bolt and clip will allow the shaft to come out. If it has not been lubed in may be corroded or seized to the arm. Check the cast piece that holds the shaft for cracks that would let is spread. If you have as much play as you say, any problem should be obvious.

Last edited by OrrieG; 11-02-2009 at 11:52 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
Kim57

Alden
Brothers sells a replacement foot starter button.
Kim
http://brotherstrucks.reachlocal.net...number=SWFS072
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #7
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Alden
Brothers sells a replacement foot starter button.
Kim
http://brotherstrucks.reachlocal.net...number=SWFS072
yeah I've seen that for sale from classicparts.com as well, the problem I saw was that I don't appear to have that kind of starter. In the assembly manual that foot starter looks designed fro the kind in section 6, sheet 6.00. But it appears that I have the section 6, sheet 6.01 kind of starter that doesn't use the whole button, rod/shaft/link setup to connect the button to the starter. I'm curious if this was an addition to the truck when the starter button was added.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Just noticed you said you have an assy manual. Look at section 5 sheet 12. View B at the top shows the shaft and the retainer clip and bolt. Removing the bolt and clip will allow the shaft to come out. If it has not been lubed in may be corroded or seized to the arm. Check the cast piece that holds the shaft for cracks that would let is spread. If you have as much play as you say, any problem should be obvious.
ok I'll get back under there and take a look. When I replaced the master cylinder I pulled everything apart and made sure it was lubed but maybe I didn't get that tight enough.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
alden

is the voltage regulator on the 55-59 the same as the one on the 47-54?

I don't see the 55-59 one sold through brothers, classictrucks, or lmc.

Also I don't see new/rebuilt generators sold anywhere. Is it just assumed that everyone will switch to an alternator now?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alden View Post
is the voltage regulator on the 55-59 the same as the one on the 47-54?

I don't see the 55-59 one sold through brothers, classictrucks, or lmc.

Also I don't see new/rebuilt generators sold anywhere. Is it just assumed that everyone will switch to an alternator now?
No on the regulator bing the same. 47-54 is 6 V and 55-59 is 12v
You can have yours rebuilt or buy one from Rockauto.com I suggest you get it rebuilt because the one you have is not a stock starter for that year.

Last edited by dwcsr; 11-05-2009 at 06:13 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
alden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
No on the regulator bing the same. 47-54 is 6 V and 55-59 is 12v
You can have yours rebuilt or buy one from Rockauto.com I suggest you get it rebuilt because the one you have is not a stock starter for that year.
how can I go about finding out what model/year my starter is from?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
alden

while tearing out the wiring for the replacement harness it occured to me that I didn't/don't see a stop light switch anywhere. It has it on my new harness diagram and classictruckparts and brothers both sell replacements, but I don't see it anywhere in the factory assembly manual. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, what is this?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The brake light switch is under the floor. it has a lever and should contact the brake pedal arm. A 59 car starter should be the same. that picture is of a jack mount.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote