The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
iluvmy72

Anyone swap to a newer chassis?

Well I wrecked my 72....Nailed a truck with its ball hitch hanging out and split my bumper into a "V" and trashed the frame almost all of the way down the line. However I do have the mouse on its wheel running in my head about this idea. Since I need a new frame and I want a shortbed with a 4wd, I am thinking of using a 96 Tahoe 4wd frame that was rolled. And here are my reason's. As much as I hate IFS, this one is in great condition. And adding this would give me a smooth ride and I can keep it push button electronic so I do not need a hole cut for a shifter. It would also give me a better suspension all around. And I would not need to cut the frame if I wanted a shortbed. Besides the body mounting, are there any reasons to not try this? The tahoe is a 4 door.
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Re: Anyone swap to a newer chassis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmy72 View Post
96 Tahoe 4wd frame that was rolled. And here are my reason's. As much as I hate IFS, this one is in great condition. And adding this would give me a smooth ride and I can keep it push button electronic so I do not need a hole cut for a shifter. And I would not need to cut the frame if I wanted a shortbed. Besides the body mounting, are there any reasons to not try this?
at the all truck nats in kc their was a very nice 2wd c10 on a new truck chassis (ls engine).
i also hate ifs 4wd. i had a 96 sonoma i ripped a control arm off just from agressive street only driving (no rollovers).
if youre worried about cutting a hole for a shifter a chassis swap might not be your best option, as their will probably be a fair ammount of fabrication involved. wiring, fuel tank pump lines, computer, eletronic speedo provisions, hooking up steering, and brakes.
you wouldnt need to cut the frame. does a 96 tahoe have the same wheelbase as a swb 67-72?
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote