The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
TheSunDanceKid

wont start sometimes

its an 82 with a straight 6 auto trans basicly i have to jiggle the shifter while im turning the key to get it to even crank if i dont it does absolutly nothing doesnt even try to start its a pain and it does this 80% of the time takes alot of jiggling and messing with the shifter before it finaly will crank and ive tryed putting it in different gears and neutral havnt really had time to look at it much any one have any idea i know its something with the shifter i was guessing maybe a safty neutral switch just looking for a conformation and maybe if so on how to by pass this or do i have to get a new one

Last edited by TheSunDanceKid; 11-06-2009 at 01:59 AM.
TheSunDanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
donut

Re: wont start sometimes

My first guess would be the neutral safety switch. I've got a '73, so more than likely it will be a little different.

On mine there is some adjustment of the switch, just loosen the 2 screws and you can slide it left or right. (just in case, switch is located on top of the steering column, around the brake pedal area) I wouldn't by-pass it, I have (just to get me home) and the truck will start in gear! IIRC i got my replacement at Advance Auto for about 15 bucks.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im gonna agree with donut the neutral safety switch or the linkage is bad

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Pyrotechnic

Had this happen to my 78. They switch had come out of adjustment so the rod wasn't hitting it right. 78-83 had somewhat similar electronics, so the switch should be at the base of the steering column where it passes through the firewall, sitting on top. Just needed to adjust the mounting position and tighten up the screws.