The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Baby John

GM Block Casting Number

I think I've been duped. When I bought our truck I was told that the engine was a brand new crate motor. Yesterday while degreasing and cleaning up the frame and engine, I scratched the grease off the block and found the block casting number 3970014. Did a little searching this morning for "Decoding GM Block Casting Numbers" and found two website that listed this casting number. One had this number categorized as 68-79, and another had it listed specifically for 1972. So, since my old truck is a 1972, I'm thinking that this SB 350 is the original motor. Possibly re-built, but not a brand new crate motor like the PO told me.

My son and I are resto-rodding a '72 GMC Stepside
Baby John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: GM Block Casting Number

http://www.73-87.com/chevy_ids/sbcid2.htm

heres the website I use..the question is " is it an issue" if it runs good congrats on having a matching # truck

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Baby John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
http://www.73-87.com/chevy_ids/sbcid2.htm

heres the website I use..the question is " is it an issue" if it runs good congrats on having a matching # truck
Yeah, the motor runs fine, and I was kinda wondering on whether or not having the original motor was a positive thing.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Mortec.com has it listed as 3970014....350 Cid...70-76...2 or 4 bolt mains

have you checked the machined boss in front of the passenger side head....if it has a CExxxxxxx then it could be a factory reman....
screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Might have been a rebuilt "crate" motor. If it runs good I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Baby John

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_c10 View Post
Mortec.com has it listed as 3970014....350 Cid...70-76...2 or 4 bolt mains

have you checked the machined boss in front of the passenger side head....if it has a CExxxxxxx then it could be a factory reman....
Have only checked that one number so far but I'll get the others off it later and check them too. We were planning on pulling the engine this weekend but it was so greasy we decided we'd clean thing up with the engine and tranny still in the truck first. Then we'll pull the engine and put it on a stand (got to buy one first) and start taking it apart. I don't know much about mechanics but it clearly has an aftermarket "Edelbrock" intake on it. I'm kinda toying with the idea of trying to make soem horsepower improvements while we've got it out. Not exactly sure how to go about that but I'll ask around and see if I can get soem tips. I think the engine is pretty much stock except for the intake manifold and some headers, which I'm considering doing away with, and replacing with stock ram horns.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

matching #'s are great if your building a STOCK truck....sounds like your going in a diff direction anyway...Not sure why your pulling the motor but if it runs fine than check craigslist or other places for another motor I have seen the CHEAP like $150.... then rebuild that one..there are hundreds of mods you can due to a chevy most are pretty simple bolt on mods add a cam shaft and a set of new bearings and you'll have yourself a nice little street truck..unless your a hot rod guy then reuse your stock heads call sumit or jegs and tell them what you want and they will have a nice complete KIT..tride and true tested and will work...save a few $$ by reusing that intake just be sure to tell them what intake and carb also head # ( under the vavle cover there is a # cast into the head between the valves and rocker studs) give them that info and then wait till the package comes in....assemble repaint and put it in ...it will run the best it can...no machine work...just a very well improved stocker on pump fuel and turn key
Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Baby John

Thanks. We're only pulling the engine because we've removed the body and are planning on cleaning up and re-painting the frame. Figured we'd pull the engine and put it on a stand while we're doing so to give us clean easy access to the frame beneath the engine and I figure if we put the engine on a stand we can remove all the accessories and clean and paint the brackets, and paint the block while we're there. Reassemble with nice clean hoses and plug wires, and newly painted brackets. Really no mechanical work...just a clean and paint job.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
dan42

Sounds like a fun project -I wish I had the space to do a clean-up like that.

Last edited by dan42; 11-09-2009 at 11:11 AM.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
grayw0lf

The "350" in my truck turned out to be a 305. Now-a-days I dont' shop w/o having a printout of Mortec's casting numbers with me.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

well it sounds like you have a good plan...I think if I was in that position then I would get the head casting #'s carb size and intake call jegs/summit and tell them what you have and let them feed the info into the putr and spit you out a nice over the counter cam shaft (and lifters) with a bit more lump don't forget to tell them you have headers...you can pull the water pump (I would replace it for cheap) pull the timing cover, intake valvle covers and rockers and slide the new cam in...once your done with that pull the oil pan and get a GOOD gasket set ...paint it up pretty and then reassemble...nothing looks cleaner to me than seeing a bit of gasket between engine parts it make a good seperation line and looks clean if you put it all together and paint it it looks like there was no time or thought put into it....with the intake off you can even clean and polish it if you like

I bet with it on the stand your going to have less than a day it making a smart clean motor that won't leak in 6 months

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
JimKshortstep4x4

The Camaro site has the 3970014 listed as a 70-73, 2 or 4 bolt mains with 200 to 300 hp. They also list it as an LA built Camaro.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote