The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
ol Curt

Alternator Woes

My generator lite was staying on in my factory dash on my 66 truck. I found the old alternator saturated with p.s. fluid. It seems one of the fittings was leaking, and the alternator was soaked.

Whether it was bad or not, I decided it would be a great time to upgrade to an internally regulated alternator.
I followed as many of the instructions I could find...bought one for a 78 Camaro w/350. This gave me a 10 SI clocked the way I needed it. I also bought the plug for it.
I wired this just as the instructions say and when I started the truck...generator light is still on. When I revved it a bit, I found the "Bright" light signaling high beams lit up...but no high beams were on.

Any ideas where I begin to diagnose this?

This is the info I used. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a.../t-119379.html

Last edited by ol Curt; 11-09-2009 at 03:02 PM.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
ol Curt

Re: Alternator Woes

I posted this over in the electrical forum as well. I'm hoping between the two somebody will offer some words of wisdom. It did occur to me that the battery is low. Would that cause the gen light to stay on till it was charged?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
ol Curt

Ok, it gets weirder as I go. I put a quick charge on the battery and started the truck. I checked the voltage at the battery when running and it was 14 volts...(probably ok).

The dim lights don't work at all when switch is on, but the "bright" light and the "gen" light are both still on. When I hit the dimmer switch, the bright lights come on. I haven't remounted my dimmer switch after installing carpet, but I did ground it to a known ground with no success.

One step forward, two steps back...this dance is getting old!

OK, I guess one last question...should the alternator have a ground wire on it?

Last edited by ol Curt; 11-09-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
ol Curt

I checked for voltage at the terminal number 1 with the key on and there was none, which might start to explains some things. But, now I'm not sure where to go.

Also found no voltage at firewall connector with key on. Unfortunately I am out of time tonight. I think I will be pulling the cluster out tomorrow.

Last edited by ol Curt; 11-09-2009 at 10:54 PM.