The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
JRBECK64

Derby Style Hubcaps

I purchased a set of Derby Hubcaps for my Sons truck some time ago. I was trying to put them on the other day and they dont fit. They are too small for the opening in the wheel. Is there a difference between the 5 lug Derby's and the 6 Lug Derby's? The wheels look great but would look way better with a new set of Derby's. Does anyone know where I could get a set of these type of hubcaps?

Thanks,

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
slepysal

Re: Derby Style Hubcaps

how small are they? You can use black tape to give them a sungger fit

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The new wheels being produced now may be different, but when these wheels first hit the market about 10 years ago, I found out the hard way myself that regular caps don't fit. The 6 lug rally wheels require a special hubcap sold by the wheel manufacturer, which is about an inch bigger in diameter where it snaps into the wheel. None of the hubcaps (derby/disc brake/police cap) that fit regular Chevy/Corvette rally wheels will fit. There are adapter rings in the aftermarket http://www.rallyamerica.com/old_school_acc/index.html

but I haven't seen any yet that will make a rally cap fit like it's suppose to on these 6 lug wheels.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
The new wheels being produced now may be different, but when these wheels first hit the market about 10 years ago, I found out the hard way myself that regular caps don't fit. The 6 lug rally wheels require a special hubcap sold by the wheel manufacturer, which is about an inch bigger in diameter where it snaps into the wheel. None of the hubcaps (derby/disc brake/police cap) that fit regular Chevy/Corvette rally wheels will fit. There are adapter rings in the aftermarket http://www.rallyamerica.com/old_school_acc/index.html

but I haven't seen any yet that will make a rally cap fit like it's suppose to on these 6 lug wheels.
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have bought a set from the manufacturer of this wheel. I guess I am going to have to find out who manufactured this wheel.

JRBECK64
Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
I purchased a set of Derby Hubcaps for my Sons truck some time ago. I was trying to put them on the other day and they dont fit. They are too small for the opening in the wheel. Is there a difference between the 5 lug Derby's and the 6 Lug Derby's? The wheels look great but would look way better with a new set of Derby's. Does anyone know where I could get a set of these type of hubcaps?JRBECK64
Witch do you have 5 or 6 lug wheel and are you talking about dog dish style hub caps? I know the 6 and 8 lug wheel are different in circumference the 8 being larger. Do you have stock or aftermarket wheels? Ebay is a good place to look for hubcaps or center caps if you need a set that will fit, just need to know what wheel you have?---Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
Witch do you have 5 or 6 lug wheel and are you talking about dog dish style hub caps? I know the 6 and 8 lug wheel are different in circumference the 8 being larger. Do you have stock or aftermarket wheels? Ebay is a good place to look for hubcaps or center caps if you need a set that will fit, just need to know what wheel you have?---Vernski
Vernski,
I bought this set of wheels almost 4 years ago and soon after I bought them the place went out of business. Yesterday I tried all the hubcaps on all the rims and found that two of the rims worked and the other two didn't. So I think today I am going to have my Son put a bead of weld all the way around the rim of the hubcap and grind it down. I believe that the hubcap is only about an 1/8 of an inch to small for the mounting bumps on the rim. I did notice that in a magazine I have calle THE TRUCK SHOP in Orange California has a listing for a 5 lug Derby Cap and another one for 6 Lug Derby Caps so there must be a difference between the two. What I think has happened is I got two hubcaps for the 6 Lug wheel and two for the 5 lug wheel. The thing is though I measured the distance across the back connecting part of the hubcap and they all measured 7 inches so I might also have two different rim manufacturers for the rims on the truck. WHO KNOWS. I guess I need to take the rims off and check on the manufacturer of the rims. Does anyone know where the manufacturer stamp would be on the rims. I sure hope they aren't on the inside of the wheel because I dont want to have to take the tires off the rims. Anyway thanks for the info.

JRBECK64
Old 11-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Vernski

Hi JRBECK64 odd that the rims are different and bought at the same place. But I think your idea putting some weld on it to shim up the fit would work.If it was me I would only put the weld on the mounting bumps to keep the heat to a minimum. ---Vernski
Old 11-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

His rally wheels won't have mounting bumps. Since he's talking derby caps, he has car style rally wheels in a truck pattern. These are only aftermarket in truck fitment.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
His rally wheels won't have mounting bumps. Since he's talking derby caps, he has car style rally wheels in a truck pattern. These are only aftermarket in truck fitment.
Well Kevin here's what I read in his post so here's where I thought there were bumps on the wheels as per JRBECK64 didn't say what type of wheel they were.

the hubcap is only about an 1/8 of an inch to small for the mounting bumps on the rim.[QUOTE}JRBECK64

A lot of the rally wheels are bolt on center caps, So I don't understand why the cap would fit two wheels and not the other two unless the are a different kind of wheel mfg or something. Quite confusing as they came from the same store.
Just trying to help.---Vernski
Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You might be on to something about him mentioning the bumps. I know that derby style caps are for car style wheels. I did a google to refresh my memory on them and the pics that popped up had no bumps. It must be the fact that they are aftermarket wheels that makes the difference.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
SCOTI

'Poverty' caps, or dog-dish caps, came in 2 different sizes for GM (and other manufacturers). The trucks typically had larger wheels & a cap w/a 10 1/8 diameter opening. The cars typically came w/14" wheels & thus had smaller 9 1/8" diameter caps.

We would need to know exactly what wheel (OE 60's 6-lug truck steelie etc...) & what cap (Nova, Camaro, truck, etc....).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-11-2009 at 07:42 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Hi JRBeck64, please confirm what you are trying to do is install what is commonly called the derby style caps on Corvette style rally wheels as shown in the 1st picture. The ones shown are 5 lug, 5x5 bolt pattern with standard passenger car derby caps.

If that’s the case and the derby caps are too small for the wheels you have, I believe you must have been sold some of the early 6 lug rally wheels like those shown in the last photo below. The next photo is a 5 lug, 15x5 wheel with a standard, normal size rally wheel police cap. Derby caps also fit on this wheel, as it's one of the front wheels shown above repainted silver.

URL=http://img156.imageshack.us/i/awheel01.jpg/][/URL]

The next picture is a 6 lug 15x8 Corvette style rally wheel with the special oversize 6 lug police cap that was sold by the wheel manufacturer. Perhaps they make derby caps in this size now, they didn't when I owned mine.

Although the photo is very dark it is a Corvette style rally wheel, and you can clearly see how much bigger the cap is by comparing the distance between the inner and outer rings with those in the previous picture. The inner pair of rings around the bowtie are the same size on both caps. If these are the wheels you have, to my knowledge none of the normal derby, disc brake, or police caps will fit. Before spending money on 6 lug caps you might want to confirm their appearance as they will probably look mismatched from the two standard size caps.

Last edited by markeb01; 01-15-2015 at 05:44 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Hi JRBeck64, please confirm what you are trying to do is install what is commonly called the derby style caps on Corvette style rally wheels as shown in the 1st picture. The ones shown are 5 lug, 5x5 bolt pattern with standard passenger car derby caps.

If that’s the case and the derby caps are too small for the wheels you have, I believe you must have been sold some of the early 6 lug rally wheels like those shown in the last photo below. The next photo is a 5 lug, 15x5 wheel with a standard, normal size rally wheel police cap. Derby caps also fit on this wheel, as it's one of the front wheels shown above repainted silver.

URL=http://img156.imageshack.us/i/awheel01.jpg/][/URL]

The next picture is a 6 lug 15x8 Corvette style rally wheel with the special oversize 6 lug police cap that was sold by the wheel manufacturer. Perhaps they make derby caps in this size now, they didn't when I owned mine.

Although the photo is very dark it is a Corvette style rally wheel, and you can clearly see how much bigger the cap is by comparing the distance between the inner and outer rings with those in the previous picture. The inner pair of rings around the bowtie are the same size on both caps. If these are the wheels you have, to my knowledge none of the normal derby, disc brake, or police caps will fit. Before spending money on 6 lug caps you might want to confirm their appearance as they will probably look mismatched from the two standard size caps.
Hello Everyone,
My Son put a bead of Weld on the three bumps on the wheels and grinded them till we had a tight fit on the Derby Hub Caps. ITS FIXED. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. The picture of the truck with the Two Eyeballs is the style of Derbys I have, Ive heard them called Top Hats, Derbys, Sombreros and a few other names I cant think of right now. They look great on my Sons truck. I went with the deap dish beauty ring. I am going to take the Derbys back off and repaint the black part of the section that sticks out. I was looking at the truck today and I am trying to talk my Son into putting a set of moldings on the truck just to break up some of that red. I will be posting some pictures shortly of what it looks like now.

JRBECK64

JRBECK64
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
JRBECK64

IT NEEDS MORE CHROME
Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
mannyb.

sorry to wake the dead, but did you figure this out? i now have the same issue...

1963 LWB C10. tired 230. soon to be sbc350!!!!
i just wanna go fast!! shake & bake, baby
mannyb. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
rcsbls2

Want to reopen disscussion?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321633417874...S:1123&vxp=mtr
I reciently found these adapters on E-bay. My understanding is that these will allow the use of CAR type rally wheel caps to be used on truck rally wheels. Has nothing to do with truck type caps that bolt in center of truck rally wheel.

Does anyone have experience with these adapters to use the car type rally center cap or the smaller Flat caps from I believe '67 camaro type?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtyawsVFrgE

This video shows truck rally with car cap being installed.
Earlier post in this discussion talked about aftermarket car type rally wheels made for trucks. Not at all what this is about!!! Orginial post talked about $70 being quite a bite of money for just clips ... still think that.

I would like to use this type of cap on my orginial truck rally wheels that came with screw on center cap that goes around the chrome lug nuts that mount wheel on truck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-CORVET...33417874&rt=nc

Please chime in.

Last edited by rcsbls2; 01-15-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: additional information
rcsbls2 is offline   Reply With Quote